ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Young 172/182 owners question

AMV8, Mk1 Golf
if anyone fronting crashes into me and then finds out thier insurance is void, ill be making sure thier ass is 100% dry before sending the boys round to insert something up it, before taking them to court and suing them

57 Ibiza Formula Sport
i dont know how you could get away with it this day and age. if you are insuring it in your dads name and using his no claims, im presuming he hasnt got his own car that he's using them on? if we could all get away with this im sure we would try, but i'm stuck paying £137 a month for my 182 and im 21 with 1 yrs NCB

What do you mean by getting away with this? As in my dad being policyholder.

To people about policy holder issues;

In my first post i stated that this thread was'nt about that as so many people here have complete hate for it, i wanted to stay away from it so i could actualy get oppinions on things i asked.

I respect and understand that some people have a probelm with people in general doing this (parent as policy holder), but i personaly dont, if you want to express this opinion about it more start another thread as this one isnt for it.

Oh and thank you to the people who have responded in a helpfull mannor, its appreciated.

i meant- are you planning on insuring the 172/182 in your dads name using your dads no claims discount? i.e if he has 10 yrs no claims, which would be illegal if he already has his own car policy and i doubt you would get away with it, is what im saying!

57 Ibiza Formula Sport
oh and, theyre really not worth it! group 16 is ridiculously high for a clio! wait a few years

BMW M4; S1000 RR
if anyone fronting crashes into me and then finds out thier insurance is void, ill be making sure thier ass is 100% dry before sending the boys round to insert something up it, before taking them to court and suing them

As far as I'm aware, the people insuring the car, even if it's technically not insured, should pay out to any 3rd parties involved. Then they come gunning for the person that took the policy out.

Half the folk i know go on their folks policys to save cash right or wrong. Its part of life, deal with it ..

Fair point, however I don't want a thread from you moaning when you've been crashed into by what is technically an uninsured driver after they've discovered their £3k piece of paper is worth sweet f**k all.

My view has allways been if you can't afford to insure a car properly use public transport.

i meant- are you planning on insuring the 172/182 in your dads name using your dads no claims discount? i.e if he has 10 yrs no claims, which would be illegal if he already has his own car policy and i doubt you would get away with it, is what im saying![/

this is allowed with direct line if:
he is 2nd driver on his dads policy, also he can build up his own ncb, if he crashes his dad is ncb is affected not his.

Mondeo ST220
Thanks

Its fast, but if i can afford to insure a 172/182 then why not, i might as well.

but you cant afford it can you... hense going on your dads policy.

sorry it just winds me up, actually im not sorry. there is a reason why insurance is expensive on high performance cars ....

fair play to you if you bight the bullet and go on your own policy, no bad feelings then.

Spot on Taylor!

BMW M4; S1000 RR
i meant- are you planning on insuring the 172/182 in your dads name using your dads no claims discount? i.e if he has 10 yrs no claims, which would be illegal if he already has his own car policy and i doubt you would get away with it, is what im saying![/

he is 2nd driver on his dads policy, also he can build up his own ncb, if he crashes his dad is ncb is affected not his.

Right.... But if it's allowed, it won't be any cheaper than a normal quote.

Right.... But if it's allowed, it won't be any cheaper than a normal quote.

does make a difference, if he was on his own then insuring his 1.6 will be 2k+ with his dads discount itl b 1k something. . .for a 172 he probably wont get a quote. . .too young/inexperienced

Anni182;3565359i meant- are you planning on insuring the 172/182 in your dads name using your dads no claims discount? i.e if he has 10 yrs no claims said:
Ah okay, well if i did get one, he would be car owner and policy holder and i would be named driver on the insurance.

You really do have a huge probelm with people having parents as policy holders. Nearly all young drivers do it though, simply becasue they eaither want to save some money or cant afford it. I think you'd dislike somone who hasent declared there redtop conversion to insurance crashing into you as this is just a complete void, of the insurance.

Also it is not "illegal" as you say in all circumstances. for instance if a parent drove the car 4 days a week and the child used it at the weekend this is completly legal as they are entitled to use the car. If you really have such a hate against it i think you should do some research on it so you are able to be 100% sure on a claim you make. Im not saying you dont know what your on about, i just belive it is nessecery to be fully informed on a subject before shouting such strong views around.

Last edited:

Barron

ClioSport Club Member
  Turbo S,Exige,R5,182
Im 17 (18 in march) and its going to cost me £2.2k a year to insure a 172 under my own name and having 1 NCB. It costs me £1.5k atm to insure my 1.2 so i wouldnt like to think how much a 1.6 would cost at 17.

How long have you had your license? as i know for a fact if i had a 172 in the first few months of me driving it sure as hell wouldnt be here today. Im not saying im a good driver as i have had only 9 months experience actually on the road, the first month of driving has taught me more about driving than my lessons did.

Ah okay, well if i did get one, he would be car owner and policy holder and i would be named driver on the insurance.

You really do have a huge probelm with people having parents as policy holders. Nearly all young drivers do it though, simply becasue they eaither want to save some money or cant afford it. I think you'd dislike somone who hasent declared there redtop conversion to insurance crashing into you as this is just a complete void, of the insurance.

thats your priority dude. . .at your age anyway

Im 17 (18 in march) and its going to cost me £2.2k a year to insure a 172 under my own name and having 1 NCB. It costs me £1.5k atm to insure my 1.2 so i wouldnt like to think how much a 1.6 would cost at 17.

How long have you had your license? as i know for a fact if i had a 172 in the first few months of me driving it sure as hell wouldnt be here today. Im not saying im a good driver as i have had only 9 months experience actually on the road, the first month of driving has taught me more about driving than my lessons did.

And i agree with you, i wouldnt get one for at least 6 months untill i have more driving experiance under my belt. It would just be irrisponable as i know all too well what would happen.

Ph1
Half the folk i know go on their folks policys to save cash right or wrong. Its part of life, deal with it ..

lol

No one else has to deal with it but the person fronting.. Sure it's not a major issue for some examples. But if you're 18, owner of a hot hatch, but you're only insured as the named driver. Prepare to get raped.

I'm not sure if that counts as not being insured in the eyes of the law, but police can, and do take uninsured cars to be crushed. Only has to happen once and it's cost you a hell of a lot more money than the extra 50% it would've cost you to insure properly.

No no thats not the point i was making fella.

I cant blame any 17 year old wanting to own a fast car. Weve all been there.

Half the population of new drivers go on their folks policys whether it be for a 1.2 Fiesta or a 300 bhp Cossie so why do folk have a problem with it?

It just sounds really agest more than anything when folk say 'learn to drive a slower car first', 'young drivers not on their own policy' etc etc rather than constructive advice

Barron

ClioSport Club Member
  Turbo S,Exige,R5,182

And i agree with you, i wouldnt get one for at least 6 months untill i have more driving experiance under my belt. It would just be irrisponable as i know all too well what would happen.

how long have you had your license?

/carl

No no thats not the point i was making fella.

I cant blame any 17 year old wanting to own a fast car. Weve all been there.

Half the population of new drivers go on their folks policys whether it be for a 1.2 Fiesta or a 300 bhp Cossie so why do folk have a problem with it?

It just sounds really agest more than anything when folk say 'learn to drive a slower car first', 'young drivers not on their own policy' etc etc rather than constructive advice

aint a 1.6 fast enough lol

Mk1 Eunos Roadster
I think you'd dislike somone who hasent declared there redtop conversion to insurance crashing into you as this is just a complete void, of the insurance.

Fair point, an awful lot of people mod their cars and don't tell the insurance... it's just the same thing really but people don't shout off at that. Not that I agree with being a named driver/main user, but if people wanna criticise it then they've got no right to mod unless they tell their insurance company.

Mondeo ST220
But you can afford to insure a car, just not that car?

And if your dad already has a policy which he has his no claims on surely he can't use the no claims bonus on the additional policy? Also, insurance companies are getting wiser to this now and i think you will find a number of companies still won't insure you and it won't be as much of a saving as you think.

Save for it or fork out for your own insurance, build your no claims then in a couple of years it will be a lot cheaper and you won't be 20 and relying on your dad to insure cars for you.

P.S You've got a lovely first car as it is. Alot of people would kill for a 1.6 clio as their first car

AMV8, Mk1 Golf

Also it is not "illegal" as you say in all circumstances. for instance if a parent drove the car 4 days a week and the child used it at the weekend this is completly legal as they are entitled to use the car. If you really have such a hate against it i think you should do some research on it so you are able to be 100% sure on a claim you make. Im not saying you dont know what your on about, i just belive it is nessecery to be fully informed on a subject before shouting such strong views around.

if that were the case the thread would be my dads thinking of getting a 172.. how much would it cost me to go on his policy so i could borrow it every so ften,
yes id be exactly the same with engine conversions

just wait till your 19 and get one thats what i did, average 19 year old can insure and run one fully leagally
im not going on because im some oldie and dont realise that the kids of today cant afford stuff. bull im 20 and on my 2nd sport , if you want one pay for it yourslef

DrR

ClioSport Club Member
  VW Golf GTD
Clio 172 basic 1 year running, assuming it will be 100% reliable, and it bloody won't be!

Say it's £2k to insure
Tax £205
MOT £50
Service £150 (cheapish at that)
Tyres £300

Can you really afford to pay £225 a month at 17 on a car before you've even paid for it or even driven a mile?

Fair play if you can, but thats s**t loads of money for a slightly fast car.

if you want one pay for it yourslef

i have two jobs and have had one since i was 13. I spent my past summer holiday off collage working in a factory to save money to afford and run a car. I pay for everything myself, and i dont like taking money off other people. Anyway.

Mk1 Eunos Roadster
P.S You've got a lovely first car as it is. Alot of people would kill for a 1.6 clio as their first car

Yeah I would have. My first car was a 93 106 XN - nothing but 1000ccs of throbbing power. No power steering, no air con, not even a fifth gear!

We can't criticise the chap for wanting a faster car and as long as he and his family think he's ready for the responsibilty of being in control of a 1-ton killing machine, then it's not our place to tell him he can't do it.

I just hope he truly knows what he's doing, or else we'll be seeing some more RS clio pieces for sale soon.

Martin_172

ClioSport Club Member
i got mine at 17 when i had 0ncb, i bit the bullet, took the hit and insured it in my name with admiral for £2500 3rd party fire and theft

renewing it next month with 1years ncb for £1200 fully comp :)

its worth taking the huge hit for the sake of getting yourself 1 or 2 years ncb!

RS 172
^ Think insurance is a little easier up in Scotland isnt it? Down here I think most companies would have just refused that.

172 cup
Children shouldn't be allowed to drive a 172 or any fast car for that fact.

I'm sure mummy and daddy are really responsible for even considering putting you on their insurance.

Pathetic mate.

The point of this thread was to establish if it is fesable. And yeah i know i have an awesome first car, but i do becasue ive worked and work my arse of to be able to.

Still thanks for replying its helped me to get a better picture of owning one.

Mondeo ST220
Put it this way, if I was 17 and asked my dad to put a car in his name as it would be too expensive for me on my own i'm sure he would realise thats because of the stats and would never agree to do that as although insurance is a ripoff, when its expensive, its for a reason.

Think of it this way, proportionally, more 17 year olds are going to write off a 172/182 then a 25 year old (fact, face it) so if the 17 year old says their a named driver and pays 1.5k rather than the 3k on their own and then they write the car off, everyone else has to pick up the bill in their premiums.

Does that make sense, I know what i'm trying to say lol