ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Young 172/182 owners question

if you want one pay for it yourslef

i have two jobs and have had one since i was 13. I spent my past summer holiday off collage working in a factory to save money to afford and run a car. I pay for everything myself, and i dont like taking money off other people. Anyway.
u can save up to afford a car but not to run one ( thats the on-going part)

Children shouldn't be allowed to drive a 172 or any fast car for that fact.

I'm sure mummy and daddy are really responsible for even considering putting you on their insurance.

Pathetic mate.

Thanks for you opinon its really usefull. Oh and after what you said il decline the offer of being you mate.

Unintelegent Tosser

i have two jobs and have had one since i was 13. I spent my past summer holiday off collage working in a factory to save money to afford and run a car. I pay for everything myself, and i dont like taking money off other people. Anyway.
u can save up to afford a car but not to run one ( thats the on-going part)

Hence the two jobs i have at the moment while studying maths economics physics and french a levels at school. Giving me the money for running my car.

Mondeo ST220
Yes its fast, but if i can afford to insure a 172/182 then why not.

and carl a few months

Can most 17 year olds honestly afford or even justify a grand plus on s**t box 1.2 Fiesta on thier own policy??

Maybes not but then maybes they shouldn't buy a car or maybes they should just OCCASIONALLY use another car as a named driver.

Why does everyone seem to think driving is a god given right, its a priveledge and its not cheap at first and in this country it never will be.

I paid 1.5k insurance on my first car, could have got it for around 700 as a named driver, but it was my car, i always drove it, therefore i insured it

172 cup

I'm sure mummy and daddy are really responsible for even considering putting you on their insurance.

Pathetic mate.

Thanks for you opinon its really usefull. Oh and after what you said il decline the offer of being you mate.

Unintelegent Tosser

It's true, see what other people think when your driving round with you're fogs on music on stupidly loud going from speed bump to speed bump as fast as you can.

Piss off you little chav, I'm so "unintellegent" (Not Unintelegent) that I pay 600 for my insurance not 3k + on mummy and daddies insurance.

LOL!!!

Martin_172

ClioSport Club Member

im asuming your refering to 17yr olds when you say "children", i survived being 17 in my 172 no problem infact i dont find myself in any more danger in my 172 than i was in my 1.2 as i know when its safe to drive enthusiastic and when its not, infact in normal driving its basically the same car with bigger brakes and ESP!!

Unintelegent Tosser

It's true, see what other people think when your driving round with you're fogs on music on stupidly loud going from speed bump to speed bump as fast as you can.

Piss off you little chav.

I actual find you opinon completly halarious. You dont even know me but have made the judgment im a chav, from the fact id like to get a faster car. I dont even see the need to demenstrate myself and what i am to you. Pleace just leave my thread as you not needed here.

172 cup

im asuming your refering to 17yr olds when you say "children", i survived being 17 in my 172 no problem infact i dont find myself in any more danger in my 172 than i was in my 1.2 as i know when its safe to drive enthusiastic and when its not, infact in normal driving its basically the same car with bigger brakes and ESP!!

Ok sure, if that's so true then why is it stupid prices for anyone under 21 to get insurance on any 172/182?

Come on, grow up eh.

Munday

ClioSport Club Member
  RB 182, 1275GT, C220
Why do people on here make out that 172/182's are fast and something special?!

Original Poster - If you can afford it, go for it :)

RS 172
I dont think this thread is really going anywhere anymore. If he can afford it, we all know he will more than likely go for it regardless of what people have to say (as I probably would if I could justify the money).

The statistics are stacked against him, but statistics are just that; statistical averages. Let him get on with it I say.

Iridium

Honorary Member
ClioSport Club Member
  Former R27 & Mk1 V6 owner
Admiral beat my nearest quote in the Vee by about £1200 :) I'm 24, paying just under £900 - my own insurance.

You can be on your parents policy as a named driver perfectly legally, and still earn no claims with some companies. For example with the NFU - he could be on his dad's policy as the main user, slightly cheaper on the basis his dad might use it sometimes - but he's still the main user, on a policy, in his dad's name. But please, don't let the facts get in the way of a good rant :)

And as for "Children shouldn't be allowed to drive a 172 or any fast car for that fact." - it's not a supercar or sports bike you know? If a 17 year drives like a knob in a 1.1 Saxo they're as likely to crash as they are in a faster car - all insurance is expensive for the younger generation, because they're slightly (statistics suggest only slightly) more likely to crash, probably due to inexperience/over enthusiasm and also - because they're an easy target for the insurance companies to make money on because they know they'll pay it.

Dan (worked in insurance for 5 years...)

Last edited:
  Ph1
Funny thing is i bet all the folk who are moaning about this lad shouldnt be able to have a 172 due to not being able to afford his insurance in the conventional way are the same folk who dip into their overdrafts then moan when they get bank charges ;)

Its exactly the same principle

172 cup

Piss off you little chav.

I actual find you opinon completly halarious. You dont even know me but have made the judgment im a chav, from the fact id like to get a faster car. I dont even see the need to demenstrate myself and what i am to you. Pleace just leave my thread as you not needed here.

I think we need to take up English not French son.

Mondeo ST220
lol cupwhite I don't think your really helping the argument.

Yes, the prices for young drivers are ALOT on cars like this however if someone is willing to pay that then fair enough to them.

However its when they can't afford that justified price and find ways of getting out of that price, thats the problem.

I don't feel its age that comes into it here. If someone is willing to shell out for insurance then fair enough, I spend alot more than your average person would be happy to spend on insurance but its all in my name and my car

Martin_172

ClioSport Club Member

Ok sure, if that's so true then why is it stupid prices for anyone under 21 to get insurance on any 172/182?

Come on, grow up eh.

because theirs to many imature people out there that think because they have a fast car means all year round whatever the condition they can "race"

all im saying is dont tar us all with the same brush, if you screw the head u'll be fine. i knew fine well being only insured 3rd party if i smashed my car i was left with a very expensive lump of metal! so always behaved myself unless the conditions were good

172 cup

Come on, grow up eh.

because theirs to many imature people out there that think because they have a fast car means all year round whatever the condition they can "race"

all im saying is dont tar us all with the same brush, if you screw the head u'll be fine. i knew fine well being only insured 3rd party if i smashed my car i was left with a very expensive lump of metal! so always behaved myself unless the conditions were good

I don't tar everyone with the same brush but I think it is stupid that someone who has no driving experience want's a fast car.

Yeah they are not stupidly fast but they are fast enough.

Chelsea tractor
Put your dad on the insurance on your own policy. It would make it a lot cheaper than just you ;)

Audi TT 3.2 V6
wait til your 21 with some ncb

im 21, 1 yrs ncb and my st170 costs me £950 with greenlight, they gave the same price to insure me on a 172 as well. i stuck with a 1.2 till i was 21 as imo a grand on insurance is still bloody expensive but its bearable...i couldnt justify £3k+ on insurance a year...bonkers!

BMW M4; S1000 RR

Yep agree there.

I got my first year of insurance paid for me, TPFT, but not as if I was losing anything so didn't care.

I couldn't afford to buy or run a car, didn't care what tyres it had, didn't care if it was low on anything.

Went through a few cars with that attitude and then when I had to bite the bullet and pay for my insurance myself, with my own money, after I'd been claimed against, £2500 later on a 1.6 and I started to see sense.

In reality I could be saving money right now with 3rd party insurance, no way in hell will I claim if I have a prang (touch wood) meaning the only thing useful I have is windscreen cover (I have used it though so not totally wasted).

Some of us learn the hard way, some don't need to learn, and some die.

Martin_172

ClioSport Club Member
i had been driving for about 6 months when i got mine, i understood the basic do's and dont's when driving quickly, you dont lift off in a bend u dont brake in a bend you dont drive quick in the wet etc and by sticking to they rules i was able to drive quick enough to have plenty fun without doing anything too dangerous (in my eyes anyway)

Thanks dad. I will do so upon you suggeston.
someone woke up on the wrong side of the bed. . .u did start the debate so u shouldvt expected views from different perspectives. . .anyway. . .are you still going to be getting a 172. . .im sure you have a rough idea of what to expect for insurance. . .

If you read my first post it obviously says this thread is not for this debate, hence it gets a little boring after the 5th page of the same comments. And yes i will look into getting a 172 after severl months of gaining experiance.

cheers for the help though people. its given me a clearer picture.

Iridium

Honorary Member
ClioSport Club Member
  Former R27 & Mk1 V6 owner
if anyone fronting crashes into me and then finds out thier insurance is void, ill be making sure thier ass is 100% dry before sending the boys round to insert something up it, before taking them to court and suing them

Wouldn't matter - the company would still pay out to you - they're legally obliged to cover all 3rd party claims where their policy holder etc is at all. They would then have the option of sueing the person who had void insurance to get their damages back - on the basis that the insurance was void.

Dan

Evo 6, E92 320d

I don't tar everyone with the same brush but I think it is stupid that someone who has no driving experience want's a fast car.

I knew of a 17 y/o whos parents bought him a new impreza turbo, smashed it within a few months, they then proceeded to buy him an evo 360! That in my eyes is mad.

172 cup
i had been driving for about 6 months when i got mine, i understood the basic do's and dont's when driving quickly, you dont lift off in a bend u dont brake in a bend you dont drive quick in the wet etc and by sticking to they rules i was able to drive quick enough to have plenty fun without doing anything too dangerous (in my eyes anyway)

Fair enough, that is fine. I'm obviously talking about the scrotums that live around where I live.

Up ya arse with fogs on trying get a race, I am quite biased however because there is so many of them here!

172 cup

I knew of a 17 y/o whos parents bought him a new impreza turbo, smashed it within a few months, they then proceeded to buy him an evo 360! That in my eyes is mad.

Morons with too much money obviously!

Martin_172

ClioSport Club Member
got a fair few here too most of which try to race me, i dont bother as ive got better things to do, and then i still hear the storys about how that guy apparently "smoked" me as the local "car crew" like to call it these days about here

AMV8, Mk1 Golf
as said try putting your dad on your policy.

my dads on mine and it brought it down by £100

172 cup
got a fair few here too most of which try to race me, i dont bother as ive got better things to do, and then i still hear the storys about how that guy apparently "smoked" me as the local "car crew" like to call it these days about here

Smoked you? is that the local gay car crew then? :rasp:

Martin_172

ClioSport Club Member
yep theres a big load of them they all sit in a lay-by sometimes untill 3-4am with their VTR's and Zetec-S fiestas couple of MG ZR's and the funny part is they ALL have they cheap ebay headlight bulbs, sorry xenons! as soon as a fast car goes past they all race out the lay-by after it!