ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Yozza’s Blown Engine update

Lionel Richie

we took the head off earlier, and cylinder 2 (from the gearbox end) is "missing" a piston!!!! missing as in its shattered and is now sitting in the bottom of the sump in bits!!!!

the rod has bent and wedged against the bottom of the cylinder

plus theres a hole in the cylinder wall also!!!!

so in a word, the engine is "f**ked"

Lionel Richie

oh and there were chunks of piston wedged holding one of the valves open!!!!

plus we found bits of piston ring + piston bits in the exhaust manifold!!!!!!!

Lionel Richie

cambelt etc was fine, no damage at all

i think the bottom of the piston where the gudgen pin goes through and connects it to the rod has suffered a stress fracture and let go

pics to follow (sometime!!!)

oh jesus yoz! lol

thats some effort, i wish i could do that some day *to one of my own engines*.

still dont know how you missed the KABOOM and the seizure of the engine, or did you snick it out of gear first thing and cruise?

BMW 320d Sport

LOL well so much for NA power and reliability then ;)- but seriously, what was the cause - too much high rpm and an unbalanced bottom end? Not that I know a great deal about these things mind.

All I remember is you cruising to a halt on the grass with white smoke pouring out the back, then still smoking for the next five laps I did with Lunner!

I dont know how old your Cup is Yoz, can you still do a warranty claim on it?

MKIII 138

the reno engine seems solid as standard. smoking for 5 laps and still running shows this.

dont think it can handle big power to well though.

Exactly the same happened to ours, although didnt self destruct quite as bad. Same cylinder, either a conrod bolt snapped, or it overheated and seized as apparantly that cylinder is last to be oiled or something.

Put the rod through the side of the block, and ever so slightly bent one of the valves. The rod was completely mangled and it was made of titanium (i think). Brain hurts so not thinking well

Remapped derv Golf

It was R-Specd wasnt it?

I ask this because I noticed Frostys old R-Spec one seemed to rev off the clock! (seemed about 1000rpm more than mine) I remember thinking at the time this will go bang oneday!

ExigeV6|Q5|DS3|Fiat

Quote: Originally posted by y0z2a on 31 May 2005

She had done 80,000 miles pretty much flat out.

:D

/y0z

Yoz, was that on the original box?

What else engine wise did you go through?

thanks

1995 Mondeo Speed Machine

Bloody hell, youve certainly done a thorough job on that! At least she went out in a blaze of glory though.

exactly - i did dip the clutch as soon as there was some smoke tho. Even so, we should have heard a bang... hey ho, we got some hooligan laps in before it went pop. owned everything apart from that ex touring car...

no, took the other box out at 60,000.

Engine was standard apart from piper x viper, exhaust and rsport ecu.

what did i go through?

erm, lots of bits, but not much major.

starter motor
cat (30,000 miles)
cam belt
gasket set
loads of oil filters
oil

thats about it. I just looked after it and changed everything before it was needed.

engine is coming back with a lot more oomph. ;-)

:)

/y0z

oops, btw y0z if that new engine hasnt got some lairy cams and a lumpy as f**k rally car idle im bringing my supersized feltching straw up to cannock when we go out on the piss!! :devilish:

ooh she is having a conversion mate :)

cams were on order anyhow, so its just a matter of dropping the new engine in when it has been fettled.

/y0z

215 bhp odd I hope? I somehow doubt I will get as good an engine as the old one again, but then again, I get to run in a new engine.

that was just a great lump for some reason.

well, it could have gone pop after all the planned work I suppose, so it could have been worse.

/y0z

BMW 320d Sport

Well, comiserations to you mate, but you know, these things happen if you give your Clio a caning regularly, as I know all too well myself. Lets hope its not too soon before its running again.

I cant believe how calm you were Yoz... in fact you were laughing at one point!? :devilish:

Good to finally meet you as well Fred, the green wheels looked ace for some reason... when someone said you turned up with bright green wheels I thought it was a joke... then I saw em and to my surprise they actually looked really well!

browno

ClioSport Club Member

Well - definitely didnt do that by halves! Amazed there wasnt more drama, or a bang when that let go!!
Look forward to hearing about the specs of the new lump though - maybe next year youll manage to pass that 306!
Yoz - by the way, what exhast do you have on there, as it was sounding fantastic out on the track!
Ive got a great photo of you side-by-side as you were passing (Bens?) Saxo - will post it as soon as I find the damn lead for my camera!

browno

ClioSport Club Member

Quote: Originally posted by steve a on 31 May 2005
Yeah did sound ace, think Yoz runs a supersprint race exhaust.

Cheers Mate,
After Sunday, I realised I really need something a bit more meaty on the 182, so looking for options...

H22A7 Accord Type R

Was good to have a chat to you Yoz, and cheers for the sticker!!! :D Was good to find out some more details about what this whole yozza sport thing is........best of luck to you mate as it sounds and looks like its gonna be good! The cup did sound awesome on the track thats for sure! And as for your technical term when i asked you what was wrong with it..........quality! LOL!! Cheers mate, hope you get her running again soon, and i am sure i will catch you again!! Rob.

VaVa

Yup. its a Yozzasport special. Sounds awesome. Looks nice too.:D

I was sat behind Yoz at a junction a few weeks back and I stalled because I couldnt hear or feel my cars engine because of his exhaust!!:oops:

Quote: Originally posted by TheJesus on 31 May 2005
I cant believe how calm you were Yoz... in fact you were laughing at one point!? :devilish:Good to finally meet you as well Fred, the green wheels looked ace for some reason... when someone said you turned up with bright green wheels I thought it was a joke... then I saw em and to my surprise they actually looked really well!

well, you cant do much about it really can you? LOL

same as when it was smashed at oulton... hey ho, get on with it. I had had the foresight to get another engine for this eventuality, I got 3 last year at a good price, two of which have been sold, leaving mine to be breathed upon.

/y0z

Quote: Originally posted by browno on 31 May 2005
Well - definitely didnt do that by halves! Amazed there wasnt more drama, or a bang when that let go!!
Look forward to hearing about the specs of the new lump though - maybe next year youll manage to pass that 306!
Yoz - by the way, what exhast do you have on there, as it was sounding fantastic out on the track!
Ive got a great photo of you side-by-side as you were passing (Bens?) Saxo - will post it as soon as I find the damn lead for my camera!

is our own system browno.

/y0z