ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Zeit's Ph1 1.4 Project

Hey Guys,

So I got my clio a few years ago, a 2001 Ph1 1.4 16v Alizé in a lovely green with only 72k on the clock.
Decided now that i've actually got some money to spend on it and i'm looking to have to for a few more years, I'd spruce it up a bit.

Here's a few thing's I've done already to date:
Fitted Some nice Alloys since it needed new tyres and had steels.
zrH6lUZ.jpg

Fitted some Ph2 Rear lights
rPCbbza.jpg

Fitted some Dual optics - now with 6000K HIDs
4yxegeJ.jpg

YVzc2Nt.jpg

I was trying to pull in to my Garage one night in the rain when trying to wire in the Dual optics and accidently hit a high concrete lip of the carage floor and lost my front splitter (not even lowered at this point!)
SKcKUDe.jpg

HNRP7gT.jpg

New fabia Splitter being fitted
Ed59bqB.jpg

Got a set of TA-Tech coilovers for my birthday so I got those fitted the other day there and the car's now now sitting up with the Discoverys and Range Rovers anymore!
ePI9zo1.jpg

gJEwGqt.jpg

Just down off the ramps
U3U9nUK.jpg

Things done currently:
Heko Deflectors - done
Clear Repeaters - done
Aerotwin wipers - Done
Fabia Splitter - DONE
Phase 2 Rear Light clusters - Done
Silvered bulbs front+rear - Done
Sport Headlights - Done
HID 6000k Kit - Done

Current things to do involve:
Would love to get a sport interior somewhere along the line.
a lot of colour-coding of the spoiler, door handles, drivers mirror, front bumper moulds.
A 172 rear bumper
3/4 Plate
Braided Brake lines
4x Tyres
Alignment, tracking, camber sorted out
Needs new Engine mounts
New Strut mounts
I've a set of Ph2 side strips to fit and plan on sourcing some of the Ph2 '1.4 16V' bullets for them!
Having a stainless centre section and a new powerflow backbox fitted to get rid of the small cannon poking out from the back currently. Only got that since my original cracked in half and I got that for a few quid on facebook!

And of course to re-seal and permanently seal the sunroof because at the moment she's a leaky wee rascal!

Thank's for checking it out - any recommendations, opinions welcome!

Will post more photo's as things develop! Going to get her a nice clean and valet and if there's a nice day next weekend - get a few full body shots!

Last edited:
I like this pal, looks tidy. I'll be keeping on eye on your thread too!
Your front bumper has the EXACT same scrap on the passenger corner, weird.

Try fitting this: (I'll get a picture up tonight of mine fitted, easiest mod, cheap, looks good)

I like this pal, looks tidy. I'll be keeping on eye on your thread too!
Your front bumper has the EXACT same scrap on the passenger corner, weird.

Try fitting this: (I'll get a picture up tonight of mine fitted, easiest mod, cheap, looks good)

Thanks dude! appreciate the comments! Haha I think those scrapes come from people with Pillared drive ways and their student childeren (prev owner was a student! as am I!) who inevitably hit the pillars actin' the big lad.
Apparently my scrapes arent too deep and with some work will polish mostly away. Though I realised (after two years too!) one day looking under the bonnet that my slam panel..is red and obviously not from my car haha. So someone's crashed it before ;)
Had it all checked out though when it was up on the ramps and i quote "Actually in surprisingly good nick for a 12yr old renault that's been crashed atleast once!" this coming from a honda garage!

Yes I've got plans to replace all the little lights with LED varieties, realised the other night when hoaking around in the boot that I couldn't see a thing!!

anyone know of anything that'll safely take the perm marker off the N/S headlight? I have some white spirit which i'm pretty sure will do it but don;t want to pit or damage the lens plastic, spirits alright for the job? I've only ever used them on xbox repairs.

So last night had another bit of a electro-mechanical mishappening and the car started idling/driving juddery. Suspected it was a coilpack on it's way out as it'd happened about 8 months ago and i'd gotten the offending one replaced.
This morning, sure enough on the way to work the emission light came on and the loss of power was dramatic so i dropped in to my local garage a mate works at and they checked it out, oddly - when left into another garage for MOT prep, out of the 4 NGK sparks i'd put in only a week prior, they'd swapped one out for a bosch..weird.

There was also a little oil in where the coilpack/sparkplug meet which I was told can be a little suspect of an oil leak and to just keep an eye on it.

Had the sparks replaced with new Denso sparksplugs that the shop had handy and they ordered me in a new coilpack and it was back to smooth running!

Ebunk5b.jpg

As you can see from the above pic, it was Coilpack #2 that was goosed!

Regarding the market on your near side headlight - when I replaced the rear n/s window on my 3 door clio, I had that yellow marker all over it with various writing as I bought it from a breakers. When the window man came to fit it at my house, he used some lens cleaner and the flat edge of a Stanley blade. Came off clean as a whistle with no damage.

Asked him what the stuff he was spraying and he basically said the glass equivalent of white spirit :)

Hope this helps.

How does it handle on the coilies?

that can't have been fun buddy. Whilst serving mine I found that the previous owner had replaced coils 1&2, and not put the rubber seals on them, so I'll have to get that sorted soon.

Regarding the market on your near side headlight - when I replaced the rear n/s window on my 3 door clio, I had that yellow marker all over it with various writing as I bought it from a breakers. When the window man came to fit it at my house, he used some lens cleaner and the flat edge of a Stanley blade. Came off clean as a whistle with no damage.

Asked him what the stuff he was spraying and he basically said the glass equivalent of white spirit :)

Hope this helps.

How does it handle on the coilies?

Thanks for the tip! I was thinking of getting some 3M light compounds and buffing or polishing it off, with the added bonus of getting gleaming new lamps! There's a little condensation in the O/S lamp too some i'll have to dry it with silica and seal it with silicone to sort that one out.

Tails_ said:
that can't have been fun buddy. Whilst serving mine I found that the previous owner had replaced coils 1&2, and not put the rubber seals on them, so I'll have to get that sorted soon.

An experience as always! That's coils 2&4 done on mine so when i have the cash i'm going to get the other 2 done. They seems to just be a single bolt and the lead plugs in so if they are that simple i'll do the next 2 myself since ECP are selling them around £35 a coil, though this car seems to know when i've touched it and she throws a little hissy!

Getting a little wash, foam, polish and wax after her new coil fitted!
RvQAqhP.jpg

New side stripes fitted from Ph2, plan to get these sprayed green - as for bullets - i have a few ideas, either green also with yellow lettering or pure black silver lettering or what do you, CS.net at large think?
TYN9yYk.jpg

Got this today for £20 and just have to buy a mild-steel cat-back pipe for it, with the over axle bend! would love to go stainless but it's more expensive and tougher to weld supposedly, incurring more cost.
NnyTiOZ.jpg

Thanks! got to take a few more pics of it now that the sun is back a little, finally got that powerflow cat-back made up and it sounds sweet as a nut!
I'm down in Ards/Belfast/Bangor area! Do you ever go to BCN/BCS/CCC?
Sun is rare over here in norn iron :p ill need a few snaps of mine.
I don't mate no, what are they

Sun is rare over here in norn iron :p ill need a few snaps of mine.
I don't mate no, what are they

Ballymena Cruise nights/Belfast Car Show/Carrick Car cruise All different groups that drive about. Usually see a good few clios at them! Only seen one of note and it was a World Series clio 3 but yet to see any RSs at them!

Ballymena Cruise nights/Belfast Car Show/Carrick Car cruise All different groups that drive about. Usually see a good few clios at them! Only seen one of note and it was a World Series clio 3 but yet to see any RSs at them!
Sorry for the massive delay on replying mate! Hahaha, I havent been to any of them at all. Ive seen a couple of mk3's in ballymena and 1 in belfast, never a mk2 though, hence why i made a rep :D

Few updates: finally fitted my 1.4 16V badges I got from here! Gave it a wash and clean in the sun - short lived though as the birds just crapped all over it. i think the next mod will be a couple of under-and-overs.
WFs2XcY.jpg

Also finally got my K&N fitted!
ttYTWLw.jpg

Getting the old airbox out was a right mare.

NPe0W6X.jpg

fitted!

Mist-washer jet's came a while back too - finally got them fitted.
Ordered Citroen ones but got Alfa ones? In either case - top notch!
KOwlh63.jpg

I have to get a few more pics as I also managed to de-wiper the rear and got my new 2.25" cat-back exhaust made up and fitted!
Cat-back pics aren't the best, I forgot to photograph it up on the ramp and tried snapping a shot under the car on the drive.

84PEtvz.jpg

I need to get new exhaust hangers and mounts as my rear hangar was missing all together and the centre mount was completely perished.

I'm also starting to get a tinny-metalesque rattle on acceleration which i'm fairly sure is the heatsheilding vibrating against the new exhaust pipe. Might have to trim/fix or outright replace it all.
Tell me this: Can you remove the carpeting at the rear of the engine bay? you can see mine's looking tatty. Is there shielding behind this or will removing this result in the car going up in flames? I saw a photo of a 172 here on fire..

Got my work narrowed down to a [long] shortlist!
Fix rear earth in boot
Fit Near-side courtesy switch
Top mount washers from MAD
Replace heatshield
Exhaust mounts and Hangars
Gearbox Mount
Gearbox Oil, Coolant flush, Minor Service
Reseal sunroof
All Colour coding
All Carbon Wrapping
Top mount billets from MAD
Ph2/172 Rear Bumper
Interior Festoon
New dash vent
fix heater cogs
2x-4x spare door handles to paint
spare thin/dynamique spoiler to paint
spare mirror covers to paint
front+rear spacers
front+rear braces

I'm sure there's possibly more as well - anyone any suggestions of things to do/common fixes/mods?

Last edited:
Love this!

Thanks dude! got a few little plans for it as above, hoping to be able to pick myself a cheap set of buckets too for the front seats.

It's developed this insane rattle though on idle and some revving, which was thanks to my a**hole of a mate grabbing my exhaust and roughly shaking it from side to side, going "huurrrrr you know that's loose? LOL" and thanks to him the heatshield around the mid/rear section rattles like an absolute b**ch. Going to have to either remove it or replace it if it's really required.
Idiot fried also managed to snap a bolt of the rear exhaust hanger too so that'll be a pain to replace. this same person nearly took my head off for spilling a drop of tea on his CF bonnet on his precious ek9.
Some people..

but yes! The future holds buckets, new mounts, a serive and coolant refresh. I finally had a chance to take a nosey at my dodgy heating controls and found the little cable-operated plastic armature that goes over the very infamous splitting-cog, was loose, pushed it in, gave the knob a turn and WOW Freezing cold air..from the vents! It's like 2011 all over again!

Who would like to come pave my driveway?
u56dHwy.jpg

this gravel is getting ridiculous! It'll need leveled out before i end up grounding/beaching the car! thankfully these splitters are only £12 a touch!

Snapped a few shots as it stands today outside of work at Belfast Harbour whilst my colleague and I had some lunch. Wish the car had been a little cleaner but it's impossible to keep it looking gleaming here with the constant sea-breeze and the cargo ships unloading sand/grain etc.

YaiiQh5h.jpg

MAspUFhh.jpg

H8qcz1Dh.jpg

81WYyhwh.jpg

Less homo shot
AARyOiGh.jpg

172 Rep
Not overly keen on the ph1 clio's, even 4 doors, but this catches my eye, subtle but effective mods, lovely motor mate:eek:

Thanks a lot mate! I agree with you, i think the ph1s have bit of a weird look, I'd love a 172 rear bumper as i think the ph1 jsut doesnt fit in. I've seena few ph2s in my colour so even a ph2 non-rs bumper would be nice.
I'm considering some spacers to poke the wheels out a little more, colour coding of the strips, and then maintainence really. She'll never be a racer, but i can definitely have a bloody good time with her :)

172 Rep
Only ph1's ive ever liked is the couple of sunflower sports on here, but the more threads i see like this i wish i got one! the 172 bumper idea sounds like a right touch, would make it look heaps better, keep up the work bud :approve:

Only ph1's ive ever liked is the couple of sunflower sports on here, but the more threads i see like this i wish i got one! the 172 bumper idea sounds like a right touch, would make it look heaps better, keep up the work bud :approve:

A ph1 front end would be the danglies but since it needs wings+skirts also the cost would just be monumental. It'd probably be cheaper to match the car to the kit, than the kit to the car!
Sunflowers look gorgeous, always. They seem to be able to pull off the ph1 rear, this just looks like it has a fat arse!

​I appreciate your comments, if you've any suggestions - i'm open!

Nice work mate,
How do you find it without the rear window wiper? Thinking of removing mine.

No different really! My rear wiper was already pretty tatty and didn't get much action. It didn't wipe, so much as smear. Since removing it, i've only once activated the rear washer and it took a second to process why there was no wiper going. Idiot!

very nice mate really starting to come on !! lol never normally like 5 doors but i like this !!

Thanks! There's loads i'd love to do to it still, got most of it narrowed down though to simple easy things.

It's been all bills, bills, bills lately I'm afraid.

Only recent change was fixing my hot-cold air problem with a little super-glue!
I've been toying with getting myself some spacers - but at the moment it's all just money!

It's in desperate need of a service and the exhaust hangers etc sorting. It's just getting the time!

​Eyes bigger than my wallet :(

I know that exact feeling, i have no money coming in due to being off work with a broken hand :( But this is the time when all i want to do is spend, spend and spend when i have no money. I could do with going over mine some time soon too, get the necessary parts sorted.

Thanks man!

Kitson - tempted with the good weather to pick up some cleaning supplies and give the whole thing a good wax. Do you ever go up the glens around Cushendun? Love to go up to get some nice photos along the antrim coast!

Nothing major as of late - had the car in for a minor service, oil - oil filter change etc. and denso iridium plugs (on-site and handy) as it was a little over-due. Could not for the life of me, get the friggen wiper arms off for the pollen filter.
I feel like none of the previous owners have had much luck with this either, so i couldn't get it changed. AGAIN!

Managed to snap a shot or two of it up on the ramps

sT1Kqst.jpg

The bumper cut-out...well..that was something that should have had a little better planning. Unfortunately, my mate went at it with a recip saw and it fitted, alright-ish, but the mounts perished - causing the exhaust to sag a bit to the left there.
It has then proceeded to, on quite hot days and spirited driving, melt a little bit through the side. I'm planning to get a Ph2 172 rear and that'll be properly and appropriately cut.

Also got the coolant changed since i don't think that'd been done by previous owners either. I didn't go for the usual Type-D as the garage had some coolant spare that i could have at no cost - it's also a delightful pink colour.
I was surprised by just how much a difference it made - when the old coolant spilled out (much to the dismay of my mate who was standing below it as it gushed over the subframe) it was mostly, if not all water, we filled it right up with this and bled it+pumped the rad hose to get the air out. The temperature needled dropped a full mark when driving!

Also: Above, i had a picture of the car nearly beached on the gravel driveway, well. That came to bite me in the ass the other day, i parked jsut a LITTLE too far down, the N/S front wheel dug into the loose dones badly, chipping the absolute bag out the front bumper, the wooden plank i put under it to bridge the hole also got shot through and nearly ripped the splitter off again.
I may save my pennies to have this bloody thing concreted. Maybe get the drive done too.

Last edited:
  mk2ph1 rsi 106rallye
you dont need to remove the wiper arms to change the pollen filter the scuttle splits just before the wiper therse a clip near the fire wall.

older ph1s dont need type-d coolant.

you dont need to remove the wiper arms to change the pollen filter the scuttle splits just before the wiper therse a clip near the fire wall.

older ph1s dont need type-d coolant.

Really? Only my O/S scuttle comes away easy, the n/s panel is under the wiper arms, but i'll have another look.

Still - any coolant has to be better than just water! How's yours coming along?

mk2ph1 rsi 106rallye
the pollen filters under the offside scuttle in the box few small bolt head screws to remove the lid.

all running/driving fine just need a remap now.

just finished giving it an exterior detail.

What's the bolt spacing on your front strut? I'm planning on getting coilovers next but I can't work out if it's 52mm or not on our cars. Can't get the front wheel off to measure it properly haha :(

It was 58mm on my 1.4 16v, yours is most likely the same :) I think i linked you to the coilovers i got - they can be had on the cheap for about £248/best offer on ebay to £220.
They look good, but the ride will be pretty stiff, if your sunroof doesn't squeak now, it will after haha.