ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

02' Saab 9-3 Coupe Turbo

Clio 182 Track Car
While the track Clio is tucked away hibernating for winter I've been playing with my Saab Turbo. Bit of a marmite car but to me i see a cool 90's car, plus it used to belong to a friend of mine that sadly passed away ealier this year.

af139ab1fcde4340ebdb2a07490bf3df.jpg
004062bd7ee112aef6ad003a3ff77340.jpg
3d51b06a0c72ee8925776a9a5e6621b4.jpg
f13460883932acec7d5546103ffbfb17.jpg

It had been sat for over 6 months before i pick it up and on the first drive the turbo failed causing thick clouds of smoke from exhaust.

c6fa797823601bb4278bb7360ec566fd.jpg

I currently have the turbo off and awaiting a replacement TD04 which is an upgrade in preperation for running higher boost.

While the turbo is off ive also removed the sump as the oil strainers have a habit of blocking up on these engines

6934e89a292f1068401a9e441ab58209.jpg
95713c3efd9cbb9e65be574ea8a2d422.jpg

And mine was no exception lol

Stripped and clean now

6ed7bd54729c93ee5c806be110535d0a.jpg

3822304f929bdb7fcdc3afaa06d87a93.jpg

So just waiting for turbo and oil feed pipe kit, should be here early January then i can move onto tuning and bodywork detailing.

Listerine & Poledo
awesome.
you just made the good-guys list.
Always wanted a 3dr Viggen.

Apparently the sludge issue is due to fully-synth oil.......or maybe not using fully synth......one of those. Can't remember, but I've looked into this quite a bit over the last decade. Really want one of these before they all become either sheds or prissy, overpriced show-cars.

I see you've also pulled the stereo, are you changing that for something else? in which case, let us know if it's a bugger about, because I swear I saw something about external amps etc.

Clio 182 Track Car
I'd image a combination of wrong oil and lack of oil changes, but this is now going to change.
I see you've also pulled the stereo, are you changing that for something else?
I'm toying with the idea of fitting a double din and from what i can see it all looks like standard ISO connectors. I'll look into this further when its up and running.

Listerine & Poledo
I'd image a combination of wrong oil and lack of oil changes, but this is now going to change.

I'm toying with the idea of fitting a double din and from what i can see it all looks like standard ISO connectors. I'll look into this further when its up and running.
Yeah, I think you might need to do a bit more than just clip in a new unit.
As said, I could be wrong here, but I suspect the speaker-out lines actually run to discrete amplifiers. so you'd need to splice the RCA outputs on your headunit into the ISO.
Depends on what the stock kit was, there were 3 or 4 different stereo set-ups, some more elaborate than others.

Just tried to auotrader up a 3dr Aero..... much sadness :(

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
I love love love these!! Such a good looking car in an ugly way. Very easy to get power from as well.

Listerine & Poledo
Ugly is a subjective thing.....

...Alright, it's a Calibra Turbo in a bodykit with a missing propshaft, but 9000% better. :)

Listerine & Poledo
I must admit, i like the old cavalier and calibra turbos, but i was 80's born and grew up on 90's car
I would, probably, happily take on a Calibra Turbo with the full DTM livery.

But I'd still want a Viggen 3dr

Have you looked at the front bulkhead yet, and @Scrooge is this really a big a thing as the internet makes out?
Basically, that old cavalier chassis doesn't take well to 200hp, let alone more, and tears itself in half.
HOWEVER!
a proper-hand-drive version of THIS would fix it.

Clio 182 Track Car
Bulkhead is looking crack free
There are some choice mods to improve the chassis on the Saab which i'll be doing in the coming months

Clio 182 Track Car
Apparently a far more reliable turbo than the Garrett GT17 which is now only useful as a paper weight.

Clio 172 turbo
These are cool cars. Used to have a customer with one I loved driving it. Had loads of issues with coil packs on it and they aren't cheap

Jason_E

ClioSport Club Member
  Elise, 530d
Love these. My Dad had an old 900 Turbo as a kid, I really do need to try one out for myself!

Whats the power like from standard with just a remap? I remember not long ago looking at 9-5 HOT Aeros and they had similar issues due to the wrong oil being used.

Donny_Dog

ClioSport Club Member
  Jim's rejects
OOOO... nice. Love it.
You could have got the 18T could you not? Although they are newer and not as attainable, so I think you've done the right thing.

Clio 182 Track Car
OOOO... nice. Love it.
You could have got the 18T could you not? Although they are newer and not as attainable, so I think you've done the right thing.
Possible but like you say, the availability of the alternative is far greater.

Clio 182 Track Car
So the TD04 charger has now been installed and delivers the power nicely. No more oil pressure warning light either.

Next up will be a good detailing session so time to start product shopping

Clio 182 Track Car
These early Saab's have notoriously poor steering response due to a flimsy steering rack mount. This evening i fitted a modified clamp and brace bar supplied by Parts For Saabs.

d558501bcb60244cc30173260f943851.jpg

The old flimsy bit of tin and soft rubber mount, verses the new mount kit

22924c574c25cb62b82a71d0010605ab.jpg

ccd3f7b71aa1d2648e43cdddc82f6c4c.jpg

Doesn't look like much but it has really made a difference. Improved steering feel and reduced torque steer has made it much nicer to drive. Still got further improvements to make to the chassis and suspension.