ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

1.2 16v 0-100 curiousity.

Martin_172

ClioSport Club Member
yep exactly the majority of 172/182 owners tend to think its a completely different car and the 172/182 was a complete redesign! but the majority of us who have owned them all know they are VERY similar.

my 172 feels just like my 1.2 would have with 170bhp! apart from the slightly heavyer steering.

for punting about down backroads you can have just as much fun in one as you can in the other but as a daily driver the 172 is MUCH better!

when i drive our 1.2 dynamique i see a slow moving lorry etc ahead i think f**k lol because i dont trust it overtaking where i remember the days of overtaking 2 and 3 cars at once in my old 1.2 16v!

Monaro VXR/Cupra TDi
What a boring thread, equal to "I wonder how many drops of rain fall in 5 minutes?" Who cares, the 1.2 16v is a boring cooking model.

Are they actually 'limited' then?

Surely they're limited by the lack of enough power to push the car through the air any quicker? Or is there an electronic leash that can be removed to unlock an extra 40mph?

Serious question (apart from the last bit ;))

Are they actually 'limited' then?

Surely they're limited by the lack of enough power to push the car through the air any quicker? Or is there an electronic leash that can be removed to unlock an extra 40mph?

Serious question (apart from the last bit ;))

There not limited the way there"limited" is that they reach max power in 5th about 100mph its like sticking a super short ratio box on a 172 and saying it only does 100mph.

They won't go much quicker though basic laws of aerodynamics comes into play. hence why the gears are desinged so 100 is about top end. they could have doen it do 6k or whatever was 150mph but it would have meant people were always chnbaging down at 70mph as the car doing 3k woulnd't have the power.

Martin_172

ClioSport Club Member
Well obviously he does doesn't he??? If you don't care then why do you bother posting?

Just suprised someone actually gives a s*it about something so pointless.:S :S :S

just as pointless in a 172/182 in my opinion, top speed does nothing for me, infact my 172 only does 25mph more than my 1.2 did as it hits the limiter in 5th!

they arnt really designed for top speed

I don't really think anyone "gives a s**t"

It's just a bit of banter now really. Thus far we've concluded that a 182 is just a slightly quicker 1.2, and that in the hands of Sterling Moss, that same 1.2 is quicker around a track than a 182 being driven by a polar bear. All pretty pointless, and the original question has been lost :)

Monaro VXR/Cupra TDi
What a boring thread, equal to "I wonder how many drops of rain fall in 5 minutes?" Who cares, the 1.2 16v is a boring cooking model.

The 172/182's arn't much better though there not realy quick are they.

Doesn't feel quite as exhillerating as the Integra Type-R I had, but hopefully the mods planned will aid a more exciting drive.:)

My 1.2 was loose as anything because I thrashed it regularly, that did an indicated 100 mph in 4th gear relatively easily one up, but as others say that last 5mph takes an age. Renault claim 106mph for the 1.2 16v, and I can agree that 110mph on the clock was 106mph on the sat nav.
I reckon 50 seconds.

Lupo is 22 seconds and that 133bhp/ ton.

M2 Competition
Another small fry clio owner messing with the 1*2 boys.

You even have the cheek to give a 182 turbo owner lip. Respect brother.

He deserves my respect for having a 182 turbo that doesn't even work?

Small fry Clio owner? Not to sound like a braggart or anything but I imagine me with my DCI would be quicker than most on here with their 172s on a track (nothing with too many straights though:)) Could go out and buy a 172 and get raped on insurance, but I've learnt the hard way that I don't need any amount of power to get in big trouble.

Also don't really need any power to have fun, if you don't slow down in the first place you don't need to speed up ;)

Ive heard about your driving. I think the word penis was mentioned.

Monaro VXR/Cupra TDi
^ Penis when used in that kind of text can be taken as an insult. Some people get embarrassed and/or take offence at such words.

if well set up, down a twisty backroad they WILL keep with a 172/182 no problem, i proved it plenty of times.

as soon as straights are envolved they dont stand a chance (obviously)

my 1.2 was cheap to run cheap to insure cheap to tax etc and after over £1500 of chassis mods it was brilliant fun to drive it just lacked power. now once you spend that same £1500 on a 172 say bye bye to the 1.2!!!

i loved mine and would take another as a run around no problem, its not dangerously slow, just slow

as for who ever said -60mm pi springs and uprated dampers is going to make it handle awesome, it wont! it'll be crashy as hell. i had an apex -60mm kit on mine which improved the handling in my opinion but wasnt as good as my standard 172 was, it then had FK Konigsport Coilovers and was better than my eibach 172 but not by much!

as for the guy saying have any 172 owners been in a 1.2 yes it was the car that learned me how to drive fast, and i can assure you the 172 is a complete different car on the road to the 1.2 the extra torque makes it so much more driveable both fast and slow. and the steering is miles better than the electric pas on the 1.2

That be me who said that...and all I can say is your full of poopy...maybe I should take you for a spin and you wound definatly change your mind.
My suspention costs £360 ( I actually got it for £260;) ) which was a lot more than other set ups I could have gone for.
Maybe you are talking about another Pi suspention kit...cos mine is the mutts nutts..not crashy at all..handles excellent ,flys round corners. the only thing it dont like is mile deep potholes..but what car does like them??
I would honestly recommend them 100%.:)

Martin_172

ClioSport Club Member
That be me who said that...and all I can say is your full of poopy...maybe I should take you for a spin and you wound definatly change your mind.
My suspention costs £360 ( I actually got it for £260;) ) which was a lot more than other set ups I could have gone for.
Maybe you are talking about another Pi suspention kit...cos mine is the mutts nutts..not crashy at all..handles excellent ,flys round corners. the only thing it dont like is mile deep potholes..but what car does like them??

i thought my apex was the muts nuts too, untill i tried coilovers, which were 10x better than the highly recomended apex kit, BUT wern't that much better than the standard setup on a 172 on most roads!

it goes to show that the majority of cheap suspension kits have had hardly any money or time spent designing them (compaired to a stock setup on the 172 for example) Stiff means less bodyroll but it doesnt always mean better handling (as ive found out in the past). i could have set my dampers to their stiffest setting on my coilover and yes there was no bodyroll but as soon as you hit a bump going round a bend it would skip all over the road! on a track nice and stiff is good but for the UK roads their really does need to be a lot of money spent designing the kits to make something that actually works much better than the stock setup!

Z4
Lol at this thread.
My 1.4 rover 25 (which I don't consider as fast!) hits 100mph in around 33 seconds (according to letstorque bhp), that's with a bhp/ton of 103.
The clio 1.2 has a bhp/ton of 66.6, and can tell you from experience my car will see off the 1.2 very easily. I think you're looking at 40+ seconds, maybe more!
http://www.letstorquebhp.com/calculator.asp

i thought my apex was the muts nuts too, untill i tried coilovers, which were 10x better than the highly recomended apex kit, BUT wern't that much better than the standard setup on a 172 on most roads!

it goes to show that the majority of cheap suspension kits have had hardly any money or time spent designing them (compaired to a stock setup on the 172 for example) Stiff means less bodyroll but it doesnt always mean better handling (as ive found out in the past). i could have set my dampers to their stiffest setting on my coilover and yes there was no bodyroll but as soon as you hit a bump going round a bend it would skip all over the road! on a track nice and stiff is good but for the UK roads their really does need to be a lot of money spent designing the kits to make something that actually works much better than the stock setup!

I obviously had a standard set up...I went to springs 35mm..and I could have bought some cheep coilys with the money I spent on the Pi shock and spring kit..the shocks are gas filled.
I have also been in lots of cars that have got coilys and my car handles and feels just as good as them.
you honestly cant say my car handles like poo or is crashy because you havent been in it...maybe I just got jammy but they are cool:cool: :)

320d
Lol at this thread.
My 1.4 rover 25 (which I don't consider as fast!) hits 100mph in around 33 seconds (according to letstorque bhp), that's with a bhp/ton of 103.
The clio 1.2 has a bhp/ton of 66.6, and can tell you from experience my car will see off the 1.2 very easily. I think you're looking at 40+ seconds, maybe more!
http://www.letstorquebhp.com/calculator.asp

We where on about the 1.2 16v mate its the 8v that has the 66.6 bhp/ton the 16v is 79.4 but yeh its still slow

and all I can say is your full of poopy...maybe I should take you for a spin and you wound definatly change your mind.
Or maybe he just like me woulnd't chnage our minds. If your happy thats all that matters isn't it?

Any setup for those sort of prices isn't going to be very highly invested in though and lower price usually means lower quality under £250 per damper is cheap realy.
I obviously had a standard set up...I went to springs 35mm..and I could have bought some cheep coilys with the money I spent on the Pi shock and spring kit..the shocks are gas filled.
I have also been in lots of cars that have got coilys and my car handles and feels just as good as them.
you honestly cant say my car handles like poo or is crashy because you havent been in it...maybe I just got jammy but they are cool:cool: :)
Cheaper coils than £260 well I'd impressed what you get new for that money.

The shocks being gas filled means what exactly? It doesn't make them any good.

I'm glad your happy but from my experiance I'd never recomend people touch suspension unless there willing to spend a lot.
Believe me a 182 is 1,000,000 times more fun than a 1.2 16v.
And worth the extra to run it.
Each to there own though? For me it isn't worth it.

Shed.
Is this still going on lol ;)

Simon

aye its another diesel vs petrol thread.

Point is, the 1.2 is a fun car, so long as you havent driven anything faster very recently. i guess when you know where the fun begins in each gear its a lot better. Where i can floor it all the way round a corner, you guys cant.

Id sooner have a 172 though, it is in most cases mroe fun.

MarkCup

ClioSport Club Member
Is this still going on lol ;)

Simon

aye its another diesel vs petrol thread.

Point is, the 1.2 is a fun car, so long as you havent driven anything faster very recently. i guess when you know where the fun begins in each gear its a lot better. Where i can floor it all the way round a corner, you guys cant.

Id sooner have a 172 though, it is in most cases mroe fun.

Totally agree.

I used to jump in the 1.2 courtesy car and wring its neck. The basic chassis dynamic is the same as the RS models, you can feel what's going on, and play with it as they're very forgiving on the limit.

Plus, as above you can drive it 100% flat out everywhere, HUGE fun - can't do that in a RS.

Martin_172

ClioSport Club Member
the shocks are gas filled.

no such thing, they are gas pressurized, maby your car is special and as long as your happy with it thats all that matters, all im saying is i thought my apex suspension car was the muts nuts too untill i tried something else.

and yep a car with a PI setup can be even better than a coilovered car, it all just depends how there set up.

my FK's were awesome but from a handling point of view id only replace standard with H&R's in future, and even at that only really for track use.

standard or standard with eibachs is more than fine for fast road and track use. and i know in summer ill be replacing all 4 dampers with new renault ones, as well as new lower arms with new renault bushes. as its a combo i know works perfectly

the shocks are gas filled.

no such thing, they are gas pressurized, maby your car is special and as long as your happy with it thats all that matters, all im saying is i thought my apex suspension car was the muts nuts too untill i tried something else.

and yep a car with a PI setup can be even better than a coilovered car, it all just depends how there set up.

my FK's were awesome but from a handling point of view id only replace standard with H&R's in future, and even at that only really for track use.

standard or standard with eibachs is more than fine for fast road and track use. and i know in summer ill be replacing all 4 dampers with new renault ones, as well as new lower arms with new renault bushes. as its a combo i know works perfectly

Yep I am happy with my car and thats all that matters at the end of the day:)

Oh yeah I forgot to say but most of the 1.2's are only 60bhp not 75 like mine:)
I saw a printout on bhps of different 1.2 models of clios and that what it said.

Martin_172

ClioSport Club Member
not many 8v's going about in the ph2, most are hte 75bhp 16v.

the 16v's are acceptable to drive even when coming from the 172 because it gets its power higher in the rev range so gives a bit of fun where the 8v get the power (or lack of it) low down in the revs and dont seem to gain anything by reving! arround town the 8v's feel the same as the 16v's infact maby even a bit quicker but try to overtake or pull onto the motorway and they are dangerous!

Happy days in this thread.

Right, my experience is that 1.2 8v/16v dont stand a chance on the straights but in the corners to. The 1.2 driver will be braking harder, later imo to keep up with the RS imo. Loosing speed out of the corners and having to take loads more risks.

Its like comparing apples and oranges imo. Pinky: If you havent drove a RS go and drive one. You'll see what everyone means. Cain it in 2nd, 3rd and 4th.... You'll end up with a very big smile on your face.

As someone who drove a 1.2 8v for years before I seriously considering buying a RS, 5 minutes on a test drive and you'll know what all these people on the forum are talking about. The 5k kick wasnt as much of a kick I was expecting, bit dissapointed with that.

Anyway, back to your original question. I had indicated 104/5 on a downhill quiet stretch of 3 lane private track in Kent. I dont know what the 0-100 was exactly, but I went 70-100 and it took an age to get to 95 after 85. Then as everyone says the last 5mph was silly slow. I'd say well over 2min on a 8v.