ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

1.2 Mark 1 Phase 1 - First car

1999 Clio 1.2 8V
Ok, so it's not the best looking clio around, but hopefully I can change that over the next few months!

mo1.jpg

mo2.jpg

mo3.jpg

sorry about the huge size of the pictures :mad:

Anyway, list of stuff to do:

Lowering springs - 50% done (rear lowered, front being done this weekend when my goddamn 22mm spanner finally arrives)
Alloys - to replace the godawful wheels, Team Dynamics Pro Race 3s in gloss/matte black, hopefully on 195/50R15 Toyo TR1s
Sound system - currently has 2 speakers in the doors, one of which is blown. I'll be looking into filling the other 4 speaker cavities with a possible backseat-mounted sub? Ideas?
Performance - new full exhaust system as the current one is blowing and sounds shocking, although a bit raspy. Possibly a full Peco system, but maybe the KTR stealth....not sure yet. New air induction kit (possibly a Jetex...it's cheaper) although if anyone can recommend a reasonably priced one that's better please let me know.

That's all I'm aware of right now, and it all depends on the funds! This car business is too damn expensive.

Last edited:
  e92 330i
Plans sound ok. Just change the wheels and lower it. Go for the k tec stealth if you have too, but dont bother with an induction kit, it'll only make it worse.
Other then that keep it clean! :)

1999 Clio 1.2 8V
Trying to get it back up to stock horsepower! Sitting at a measly 47bhp at the moment, or around there anyway. Was considering colour coding as well....not sure if I'll have the monies though :(

1999 Clio 1.2 8V
Forgot to mention any styling stuff. idiot...

Styling - Possibly try to find some ph1 172 bumpers, wings etc.....Although unlikely, so I'll most likely end up buying some worthwhile bumpers and respray them to colour code along with the door trims.

Also considering tinting the rear windows....might look stupid.

Open to any ideas!

BoatNonce

ClioSport Club Member
Don't bother with performance - it's pointless. If you really have to spend money on performance, splash out on decent tyres.

Crying out for colour coded bumpers, dual optics, and new wheels.

Don't spend too much on it though, save up for something better in a few years ;)

1999 Clio 1.2 8V
Been thinking that more and more recently! I definitely need a new exhaust...but I think I'll leave it at that. Its only a 1.2, seems silly to put a load of expensive stuff on it.

Just need to make it pretty!

1.2 clio dynamique
I got halfway through trying to lower my car when i realized i needed a spanner like that, i just presumed a normal ring spanner would fit!

1999 Clio 1.2 8V
We assumed the same when they were ordered! The rear ones were no problem, the front ones won't come off without this. Cost me about 8 quid with p+p from discountGB, so from saturday onwards he won't be dragging his arse!

1.2 clio dynamique
Its quite frustrating, what makes it worse is that i put it all back together again and a neighbor popped round and lent me the spanner i needed!

mk2 ph1 clio grande
should of got colies. mines on 60mm springs and im constantly getting told it needs to be lower. i imagine youl get the same :p still look alot better like. and should deffos colour code it. iv got my door strips in the garrage now. just went to halfords and got the correct paint and some plastic laqure :) easy if youve got abit of experience with a spray can

1999 Clio 1.2 8V
I'm on a very limited budget, and these were free! haha. How much are you paying to get the door strips colour coded? Thinking about getting new bumpers (not the elephant skin ones) in the same colour as mine, if not I'll have to have a go at spraying them myself!

mk2 ph1 clio grande
im doing it myself just got the paint code and got a fizzy tin in halfords, iv been sprayin bike frames since i was 13 tho so iv got a good idea. easy enough to do yourself tho

1999 Clio 1.2 8V
im doing it myself just got the paint code and got a fizzy tin in halfords, iv been sprayin bike frames since i was 13 tho so iv got a good idea. easy enough to do yourself tho

Ah well I sprayed my off road bike helmet matt black.....drippy. oh so drippy.

Rb 182
Have a look for Djw john's old 1.4 s in that colour. His was well done, lowered, wheels and some subtle colour coding had it looking spot on.

^^ This!

Mine was similar but not as well done and never got finished.

15s off a ph2 or OZ F1s off a ph1 172
172/dynamique or Cup spoiler
Colour coded bumpers (ph or ph2 172 rear bumper)
Colour coded side strips (ph1 or ph2)
Eibach sportlines
Dual optic headlights
clear side repeaters

DONE!

1999 Clio 1.2 8V
Wait...do the ph2 bumpers fit the ph1?! Not sure how that would even look....

Off to get him lowered now! Shall post picture updates later

Rb 182
Found some pics for you.

john8.jpg

100_1566.jpg

100_1579.jpg

Spec from memory was:

Clear side reps
colour coded spoiler
colour coded fog surrounds
colour coded handles
Drop 40mm on springs and shocks (always looked about a 60 drop though)
Dynamic wheels
172 interior

And that was about it, subtle it was.

Obviously his had the dual optics but not a hard job so easily bought and swapped in for a instant upgrade.

The rear bumper will fit, but the front wont fit without the ph2 lights bonnet etc.

One of mines with a ph2 rear bumper and cup spoiler

DSC00668.gif

Last edited:
  1999 Clio 1.2 8V
Re: 1.2 Mark 2 Phase 1 - First car

That's pretty much what I'm going for! Just to make it look a bit smoother round the edges, haven't decided on alloys yet. Was thinking either pro race 3s or my mate has some wolf racing 15s going for 120 quid with fresh tires.....quite tempting.

1999 Clio 1.2 8V
1.2 Mark 2 Phase 1 - First car

Ok so bad news....

Went off on saturday to get the new Eibach springs fitted (35mm drop) and, after taking off the wheel etc etc we found out that the spanner that I had waited so long for......didn't fit.

Renault decided that they'd use a 21mm nut instead of a normal size. Thanks guys. So now I've got to find a 21mm deep offset swan neck ring spanner.

On the upside he's now got all the correct trims on, I'll upload a photo later :)

1999 Clio 1.2 8V
Well its been a while since anything happened with the little sh*tbag. Finally got it lowered in late august, with great difficulty as the garage that replaced the shock a few months before i had it decided to use an airgun to tighten the strut back up.

Anyway, I enjoyed the 35mm drop until about 3 weeks ago, and finally decided it just wasn't low enough. Its now sitting on Cades jadis bomb alloys on 195/50/R15s and the gap between the arch and the wheel is just too much. So the next few weeks should consist of completely stripping out anything behind the front seats and hopefully some coilovers.

I'll get some photos up tomorrow of how its sitting now.

1999 Clio 1.2 8V
RIGHT well, today I got bored and decided that my car no longer deserved to have insides. So this happened

548591_10151208348022356_171879395_n.jpg

Decided to completely remove the rear seats, parcel shelf, side cards and most of the panels. This obviously isn't done, a rear strut brace will be going in along with a decently mounted and good looking sub.

So between now and christmas, the hopeful plan is

1. New exhaust (been looking at the sportex, heard good and bad, nothing set in stone)
  2. New air induction kit as my airbox now needs replacing
  3. new front and rear bumpers along with some colour coding
  4. bucket seats in front, maybe some half leather sport seats if I'm feeling stupid.
  5. miscellaneous stickerbombing, mainly because I have a ridiculous amount of stickers

aucky

ClioSport Club Member
  1. New exhaust (been looking at the sportex, heard good and bad, nothing set in stone) - Money in the bank
  2. New air induction kit as my airbox now needs replacing - Air filters are cheap enough. I've tried many filter setups on my 182 so I know that its mostly pissing in the wind. However, I genuinely felt that the 1.2 8v benefitted from a K&n 57i through the mid range (at the xpensive of the low rpm somewhat). If I can find it, you can have it for free (collected or cost price postage).
  3. new front and rear bumpers along with some colour coding -is it really necessary?
  4. bucket seats in front, maybe some half leather sport seats if I'm feeling stupid. - is it necessary? Try to find a cheap 172 interior
  5. miscellaneous stickerbombing, mainly because I have a ridiculous amount of stickers - mm, no, its not ''JDM Y0''. Its a french hatch.

Djw Dave was a role model for when I has a 1.2.

A wise man once said
Exactly, just think about what you'd like to own in 1-3 years time.

Every pound spent on this car is a pound less you have to updgrade. But for the the people like me, you cant leave it alone so try and find a balance between you're contentedness and conservative spending.

;)

Last edited:
  TT QS
  1. New exhaust (been looking at the sportex, heard good and bad, nothing set in stone) - Money in the bank
  2. New air induction kit as my airbox now needs replacing - Air filters are cheap enough. I've tried many filter setups on my 182 so I know that its mostly pissing in the wind. However, I genuinely felt that the 1.2 8v benefitted from a K&n 57i through the mid range (at the xpensive of the low rpm somewhat). If I can find it, you can have it for free (collected or cost price postage).
  3. new front and rear bumpers along with some colour coding -is it really necessary?
  4. bucket seats in front, maybe some half leather sport seats if I'm feeling stupid. - is it necessary? Try to find a cheap 172 interior
  5. miscellaneous stickerbombing, mainly because I have a ridiculous amount of stickers - mm, no, its not ''JDM Y0''. Its a french hatch.

A wise man once said

;)

If I had followed what you have just said I could have a mint 1*2, TT, Megane 225, you get the idea. I love my 1.4 don't get me wrong. But listen to aucky. It's a money put and when you've done a fair bit you look back and think ahhhhhh, what I could have had :/

Djw John

Scotland - South
ClioSport Area Rep

A wise man once said

;)

Not being big headed but do you maybe mean me? He had mk1s that he threw far too much money into (looking back with hindsight) I had the blue mk2 ph1. Just before this guy looks at daves threads and decides a full respray and a Volvo turbo engine is a good idea ;)

Djw John

Scotland - South
ClioSport Area Rep
Yes sorry, you.
I remember that pic from about 4-5 yrs ago and thinking yes - OEM+ is the way forward

Lol no worries everyone gets us mixed up for obvious reasons! He is my brother from another mother after all. And thanks, loved that wee thing, I seemed to do it before it was the scene so wasn't always appreciated by others but I still think it was a good looking car.

1999 Clio 1.2 8V
Wouldnt ever spray a helmet, can stop the helmet from doing its job properly!

haha, well this helmet was booya'd anyway, been thrashed about a lot after coming off quads and stuff, just did it as it was all scratched up.

This car is being done up on a budget, and a damned tight one at that. A lot of stuff I can get done for free so its not a massive problem, just want it looking and sounding a bit nicer! Its a 1.2 clio, there's no point trying to squeeze more horsepower into it because at the end of the day, a 1.2 clio is all its ever going to be!