ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

1.4 16v brakes to 182 brakes

clio 1.4 16v
Im currently driving a 2002 1.4 16v and the brakes are pretty rubbish! I have 15inch wheels and not really wanting to change them. From research i believe the biggest disc size i can have is 285mm, and i believe that the standard 182 brakes are 280mm. What would i have to do to put 182 discs and calipers onto my car?

Clio II 1.2 16V
First off, what are you doing to get any break fade, out of a 1.4. IIMC these are 259 mm disc vented, well up for the job of stopping, a 1 ton Clio with 98 bhp.

^ I have to agree with the above. The standard set up is pretty good and more than good enough for road use.

Have you checked the condition of the discs, pads and fluid? Maybe a freshen up of the standard set up is all you need.

clio 1.4 16v
Yeah that's why I thought maybe an upgrade to 182 brakes would be the cheapest option. I work at a track so the car gets a bit of abuse but not in the position to change it at the moment. so maybe pads fluid and brake lines could give them just a little bit extra?

Yeah that's why I thought maybe an upgrade to 182 brakes would be the cheapest option. I work at a track so the car gets a bit of abuse but not in the position to change it at the moment. so maybe pads fluid and brake lines could give them just a little bit extra?

To be honest I'm not sure. It would defiantly be an improvement but I'm not sure if it will give you the stopping power your after.

Last thing you wanna do is upgrade the standard brakes and be disappointed. I do think the standard set up has got potential with more track focused pads but its you thats gotta be prepared to try it and see.

How track focused is your car?

You really don't need 182 brakes on a 1.4 (not that the 182 brakes are anything special, but do do the job)

Do you just have crap pads if you say they're rubbish?

clio 1.4 16v
Not very to be honest. I have been looking and can get some yellowstuff pads, racing fluid and braided brake lines for £100 so will try that for this set as its a small investment. Then when I get a better car get some monster brakes!!!

Yellow stuff are VERY track orientated pads. You really don't need them in a 1.4, or braided lines.

Are you taking your car on track at all?

clio 1.4 16v
Well we are contemplating using it as a hill climb car in a road going sub 1400cc class, so would start by stripping the interior then brakes and suspension ect. but still in a decision making phase

Well if your stripping it then you won't need better brakes because the standard ones will get better and better the more you strip it.

Have you thought about the drums? If the drums get too hot the rear brakes will stick on!

Also if your still struggling look into proper brake ducts, I'm talking getting the duct right up onto the disc. Ducts made a massive difference on my dads race car.