ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

100% complete 172RWD! - updated

stevo172-RWD

ClioSport Club Member
  clio 172 rwd
thought id post a thead my self with updates and progress of my
clio172 rear wheel drive project:)
mybe same pics as other thead posted by dan.clio but i want to post my own pics.
any suggestions welcome!
and yes i know i could of bought a v6 clio lol:rolleyes:

Attachments

• camera phone 025.jpg
    camera phone 025.jpg
    143.2 KB · Views: 3,964
  R35 GTR
Re: 50% complete 172RWD!

How are you cooling the engine? Could you leave radiators up front and run the coolant pipes along where the exhaust was?

stevo172-RWD

ClioSport Club Member
  clio 172 rwd

How are you cooling the engine? Could you leave radiators up front and run the coolant pipes along where the exhaust was?
you read my mind lol;)

im thinking polycarbonate side windows with scoops/vents
also exit heat vents on the rear.
dont want it to look silly though.:)

182, SRT8, RS4, GT-R

Should be interesting when finished. You doing it all yourself?

Ali

V6, Trackhawk, GTS

It's an impressive engineering exercise thats for sure.

stevo172-RWD

ClioSport Club Member
  clio 172 rwd

its proving very difficult to do!
at first i thought it would be very easy!
its proving a real challenge!
cant wait till its done!
i think it will be funny driving it for the first time!

RenaultSport 172.

Mint!

So many projects being undertaken atm, but niceone for doing something diffrent fron everyone else :)

keep us updated !

Shhh

How about a V6 style design, 2 scoops from behind the doors on ths quarter panel, with 2 small radiators, one fitted on each side of the car.

Have a roof scoop for the airbox / filter.

mini cooper (RIP 172)

thats ace, good luck with this!

but ive got to ask why?:eek: is it just coz you can?:rasp:

MarkCup

ClioSport Club Member

I hope you're doing it properly Steve...and you're going to drop another 172 in the front.

Even if the front one is NA, that would still make it a 430 bhp 4WD Clio :approve:

visualize whirled pe

Will you need to uprate the water pump if the water is traveling a greater distance?
Are you going to give the car any form of additional air cooling, side vents and fans (Turbo II style) where is your source for the induction, any plans for a FI conversion?
It's good to see you are going for the 'measure twice cut once' approch to the build, there's nothing worse than a rush job.

Sorry for the list of q's but I'm really looking forward to seeing this complete.

RenaultSport clio 172 mk2

The trick with a water-cooled engine in the back and radiators in the front is to get the heights right and the air out of the system. Most people don't think about the fact that the fill point (normally the radiator cap) and the overflow has to be highest point in the cooling system. There can't be any higher points. And if there are any other high points isolated by a pipe running down and back up there'll be an air bubble there that won't do any cooling. Which can be a real problem if that high point is, for example, the cylinder head. And you won't even know it if the water temperature sensor is below the air bubble. You'll have a good low water temperature, but your cylinder head will be overheating. And the only way to get rid of an air bubble is tilt the whole vehicle on end.

Meg on pistonheads £6995

Did you see the R5GT with a 280bhp 1.7 turbo Volvo engine in the boot at the show?

superb work!

stevo172-RWD

ClioSport Club Member
  clio 172 rwd

the engine is the same set up for cooling as before but i may use too rads one front and one rear.
im using the header tank in the fron as usaul.
im using a extra water pump,mybe electric.
gear linkedge is a pain too!

stevo172-RWD

ClioSport Club Member
  clio 172 rwd

How about a V6 style design, 2 scoops from behind the doors on ths quarter panel, with 2 small radiators, one fitted on each side of the car.

Have a roof scoop for the airbox / filter.
good good but i dont want it too look like a v6!:eek:
i like 172 looks.
in going to put hose from polycarbonate window on rear.
not sure about cooling yet lol
anyway it will be winter when its done lol:lolup:

stevo172-RWD

ClioSport Club Member
  clio 172 rwd

The trick with a water-cooled engine in the back and radiators in the front is to get the heights right and the air out of the system. Most people don't think about the fact that the fill point (normally the radiator cap) and the overflow has to be highest point in the cooling system. There can't be any higher points. And if there are any other high points isolated by a pipe running down and back up there'll be an air bubble there that won't do any cooling. Which can be a real problem if that high point is, for example, the cylinder head. And you won't even know it if the water temperature sensor is below the air bubble. You'll have a good low water temperature, but your cylinder head will be overheating. And the only way to get rid of an air bubble is tilt the whole vehicle on end.
the engine will be a lil lower than usaul at front.
famous last words itl be ok lol;)

stevo172-RWD

ClioSport Club Member
  clio 172 rwd

thought id post a thead my self with updates and progress of my
clio172 rear wheel drive project:)
mybe same pics as other thead posted by dan.clio but i want to post my own pics.
any suggestions welcome!
and yes i know i could of bought a v6 clio lol:rolleyes:

clioproj/skylinegtst/merc

good job good to see someone with the balls to cut there car up should be good fun in the wet lol