ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

172/182/197 Clios and New Vxr Corsa

Tangoed Works
I think the new corsa vxr is long over due. Nothing wrong with the VXR that i can see. Prob on par with 182 in standard form but undeniably better built. Will prob not be the usual chavs driving them as well due to cost of car and insurance and running costs.

Wouldnt mind a test drive my self tbh, but my next car is going to be bigger than clio size.

Mark 1 Clio V6
Why all the chat about the Astra VXR suffering from torque steer.
Every front wheel car with a turbo and more than 200bhp will torque steer.
I can assure you the Astra VXR is no worse than the Megane 225 I had.

Also for a definite answer on the Astra's handling and torque steer capabilities have a look at the Nurburgring times. It is fastest in its class - faster than a Megane Trophy, which is fairly impressive for a car that can't handle and will put you in a tree at every opportunity.

Corsa VXR will be faster than the 197, but the 197 is the classier of cars.
The VXR will also be more reliable than a Renault. VX have vastly improved recently leaving Renault well behind.

you can guarantee that just because the corsa vxr has the word TURBO in the spec, if you had one you'd get all the chavs around it creaming in their pants!!!

Clio 172 mk2
rofl @ all the "it's a Vauxhall" quotes. You drive a Renault ffs! :rolleyes:

Personally I like the look of the new corsa VXR, like it a lot. May have to go test one out.

I'm sorry but Renault make better looking and better performing hatches.

The only Vauxhall I would buy is the Monaro as that really is a bargain for the power.....rest are shite.

titanium 182,
lmfao 2 ha ha how can you call vaux total shite when renaults are hardly the best thing in the motoring world :nono: and i think there are just as many if not more chaved up clio's than there are corsa's lets face it if your younger than 25 your car is more than likely chaved up with halford's tat regardless of badge/model vaux/ ren = cheap car for the masses dont kid yourself thinking its anything but ;) badges mean nothing unless your a shallow designer label type lol

Clio 172 mk2
lmfao 2 ha ha how can you call vaux total s**te when renaults are hardly the best thing in the motoring world :nono: and i think there are just as many if not more chaved up clio's than there are corsa's lets face it if your younger than 25 your car is more than likely chaved up with halford's tat regardless of badge/model vaux/ ren = cheap car for the masses dont kid yourself thinking its anything but ;) badges mean nothing unless your a shallow designer label type lol

Yeah..there are loads of chaved up clios around....I've seen more than you can shake a stick at over the last month or so.

That's not the point though, I don't give a f**k about the chav thing....I'm 32 and if I was looking to be paying that kind of money for a new car I know that I'd be going for the Megane over the VXR as I prefer the looks. The Megane hasn't got a pretty rear but the VXR is just laughable with that stupid centre exit exhaust and 'chrome look' trim.

I know badges mean nothing....there's no need to tell me that and that's why I would buy the R26 or a decent 5 door Subaru over an Audi;)

Clio 172 mk2
Looks are a matter of taste....The VXR seems to be like marmite....you either love it or hate it!

Gaz_

ClioSport Club Member
  Extreme mode
I'd have one, only thing i dont like is the exhaust.

Looks ok imo

Scirocco GT 210
rofl @ all the "it's a Vauxhall" quotes. You drive a Renault ffs! :rolleyes:

Personally I like the look of the new corsa VXR, like it a lot. May have to go test one out.

I'm sorry but Renault make better looking and better performing hatches.

The only Vauxhall I would buy is the Monaro as that really is a bargain for the power.....rest are s**te.

As you said in a later post, looks are down to opinion, so how you can generalise and say that Renault make better looking hatches is beyond me. Yes, you personally think they look better, but others might not. I personally much prefer the looks of the astra VXR over the RS megane. And I'm still undecided between the clio 197 and corsa VXR.

And CraigV6 reckons the VXR is faster than the megane round the 'ring, so it doesn't perform any better either!

M135i
rathercopy.jpg

sorry guys, vauxs dont do it for me.

titanium 182,
as all been said its all a matter of what you fancy getting
i for one gaz would and nearly did buy a meg 225 as i work for ren
so would be the sensible choice but i still wouldnt say no to a vaux
and have owned several in the past amongst other makes
and have been very good cars

Gaz_

ClioSport Club Member
  Extreme mode
Good cars vauxhalls imo, interiors are very well screwed together. How anybody on here can be a badge snob is beyond me?!

Good review on the Corsa VRX in this weeks auto express....very good hot hatch by all accounts. Imho a real contender for the 197

R

rich[182]

mid range should def pull on a 197, more torque and peak at about 2000rpm

Mountune Tractor
lmfao 2 ha ha how can you call vaux total s**te when renaults are hardly the best thing in the motoring world :nono: and i think there are just as many if not more chaved up clio's than there are corsa's lets face it if your younger than 25 your car is more than likely chaved up with halford's tat regardless of badge/model vaux/ ren = cheap car for the masses dont kid yourself thinking its anything but ;) badges mean nothing unless your a shallow designer label type lol

Yeah..there are loads of chaved up clios around....I've seen more than you can shake a stick at over the last month or so.

That's not the point though, I don't give a f**k about the chav thing....I'm 32 and if I was looking to be paying that kind of money for a new car I know that I'd be going for the Megane over the VXR as I prefer the looks. The Megane hasn't got a pretty rear but the VXR is just laughable with that stupid centre exit exhaust and 'chrome look' trim.

I know badges mean nothing....there's no need to tell me that and that's why I would buy the R26 or a decent 5 door Subaru over an Audi;)

I'm with you on this one Neil.
Vauxhalls are b****cks and I'm ere to stick up for renault! This is a renault forum at the end of the day. If you were talking about a honda on the other hand it might be different ;) . All the people posting about how good the vxr corsa is are probably ex vts/sxi drivers anyway.:rasp: only joking lads.

titanium 182,
lol :rasp: nah im an x gte 16v, mk3 gsi c20let , and god knows how many more vx's
to be honest ive had probably near 30 cars in total all different i must be mad

titanium 182,
shame my gte 16v was far far quicker and better on fuel :rasp: dont worry i love renaults 2 there's more to petrolheadness than 1 make of car ;)

Mini Cooper S sport
I can stop by and poke you in the eye if it would hep you see sense?

Well thank you ;)

But my theory is I'm a woman and therefore rubbish at steering, so going round corners fast is pointless as I'd crash, so I want a hot hatch that just goes fast in a straight line and never mind the handling :D

All I have to do is get past my hatred of Vauxhalls..

MINI JCW
I would say that overall Vauxhall is a better brand than Renault.

Looks are a personal thing and I actually prefer the Astra VXR to the 225 but prefer the 197 to the Corsa VXR its a bit strange really.

The Corsa VXR will be faster than the 197, i think it will hit 100 in the 16's (197 high 18's), probably wont handle as well but unless you go on track then you wont really notice it.

Chocolate Bar™
i'd have one over the 197 any day of the week. The 197 barely looks any different to the normal clios, the vx might be tacky but at least you know what it is. Interior is loads better as well, recaros as standard, and with a turbo willbe much more fun to drive id imagine. Also in my girlfriends experience vauxhall customer care is 10x better than with renault

106 GTi
shame my gte 16v was far far quicker and better on fuel :rasp: dont worry i love renaults 2 there's more to petrolheadness than 1 make of car ;)

Shame the GTE shat itself each time it saw a bend, I chopped mine in after a week for a 309 GTi !

172cup
my mk1 gte was the best handling car i've owned

slow as shite by todays standards though

a corsa will always be a corsa. maybe the burberry factory will stay open in this country now they have the market back

Mark 1 Clio V6
I cannot believe any Renault drivers having a dig at Vauxhall, nor Clio drivers having a dig at Corsa's.

There is no difference these days between the image of the two companies.

Maybe previously Corsa's were driven by Chav's, but I'd also say that a Clio was a girls car.

If history is what you are going by that makes us Clio owners big girls.

Anyway; I'm away to buy a Ford - what does that make me??????????

MINI JCW
how many companies make a girly 2 seater, rear engined, rear wheel drive 255bhp v6 sports car?

Well Vauxhall did make the VX220, which lets be honest would wipe the floor with the V6.

I love it how people go on about the new VXR looking chavy on here, and most people on here love the looks of the V6. I know plenty of people who think the V6 looks chavy. Actually the 1st time my missus saw one she said look at that plonker with that stupid bodykit on their 182. Enough said really.

Peddled device
Get this months Evo.After reading it you'll probably agree that the 172 Sport would be better than any of the four cars in the hot hatch group test....maybe not the fastest/better built/most powerful etc etc but the one that you would buy.
The VXR looks ok but in a kind of 'plastic toy that l got as a stocking filler back in the 70's' kind of way.

The sad thing about the 197 is that .....well buy the mag and read it.I was behind a 197 last week in the works van.It was almost as big! WTF ? Looked good in the way that Kate Moss might look better if she put on a few pounds!

Bigger rear end than my dads old 3500i Rover!

172cup
in 'performance tuner' (yes i bought it, and yes i'm lowering my head in shame) this month, they put the 197 against the the new civic type r

197 looks pathetic next to it

PH1_172
good engine and good power shame its in a vauxhall im not badgeist but i cant stand vauxhalls really. they never really corner well enough and to me they all look boring, im not to keen on most vauxhall interiors either.
Does anyone know if the corsa has a intercooler otherwise it wont be getting a very good remap power gain just like the astra gsi turbos where missing there intercooler and couldnt get a good remap

MINI JCW
good engine and good power shame its in a vauxhall im not badgeist but i cant stand vauxhalls really. they never really corner well enough and to me they all look boring, im not to keen on most vauxhall interiors either.
Does anyone know if the corsa has a intercooler otherwise it wont be getting a very good remap power gain just like the astra gsi turbos where missing there intercooler and couldnt get a good remap

The Astra GSI can get 20bhp (30bhp midrange) with a remap, not as good as some but not too bad

PH1_172
but for a turbo remap thats pretty poor really most get around 50-80bhp

but then again its more about the torque anyway

3 MPS
i'd have one over the 197 any day of the week. The 197 barely looks any different to the normal clios, the vx might be tacky but at least you know what it is. Interior is loads better as well, recaros as standard, and with a turbo willbe much more fun to drive id imagine. Also in my girlfriends experience vauxhall customer care is 10x better than with renault

i have to disagree and say the 197 is not like a normal clio, it has wider rear and front arches and bigger bumpers , and looks better than any other small hatch at the moment

seb

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio trophy
the 197 is actualy bespoke. no one can argue with the engineering on the 197, it is a unique bit fo work. jeremy told me so there! ;) :rasp:

Clio 172 mk2

i have to disagree and say the 197 is not like a normal clio, it has wider rear and front arches and bigger bumpers , and looks better than any other small hatch at the moment

I agree....I think the 197 is a great looking car.

I'm not saying the VXR is going to be a chav car because it won't at that price but if I was going to spend that kind of money on a car that wouldn't be the one.

Mk2 Ph1, 1.6 16v Clio
I'm not allied to any particular make of car, but i have to say does anyone not think renault dropped the ball with the thoroughly ugly 197?
I mean, the 182 looks great but the 197 is just....long.........and ugly. Not a sporty looking bone in its body in my opinion - and it is just my opinion.

The VXR Corsa looks great - simple as that. All this fanboy talk of Chavs creaming themselves etc is all cockatronic bullshit. I mean, how many Chaves can afford that price? Oh and I see so many chavy clio's knocking around...they are THE most common car these days it seems!

The VXR performance speaks for itself. Vauxhalls generally are pretty good mechanically, especially compared to fords - and lets face it Renault electrics are a joke too! heh. Mecahnically I've had more problems with the renault than any other car I've had but i still love my clio more than any car i've had.
basically, I'm trying to be impartial but don't vauxhall bash just because it's not a Renault. If it was a renault clio you'd be saying how awesome it was no matter what it was like - much like a lot of you do with the 197...

Get on the track against one and you can see who's best! ;)