ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

172/182 Running In

Im due to graduate from a 1.4s to a 182 next week (Renault permitting - the dealer still has only given a provisional date). Cant wait :). Standard spec but with cup spoiler only (not cup susp as it is a pre-reg offer - the spec was fixed and the price was too good to argue over).

Do I need to run it in for the first 1k miles or whatever? I ran in my 1.4 for 1k miles (not going >2500rpm), which is what the dealer told me. Thing is, I dont really trust them, theyll tell you anything!

Tom

ClioSport Club Member
  EV (s)

Mate use the search this has been discussed quite a bit.

The renault book states that for the first 625 (1,000km) miles you need to do the following:

Do not exceed 80mph in the highest gear.

Or 3,000-3,500 rpm

Some people choose to ignore this and i would follow the instructions if you are keeping your car for a long time.

If you dont care about your car and want a nice loose engine then rag it from day 1 but beware of future costs because of this.

Thanks for these replies guys. I saw some stuff in other posts about running in and there seems to be some mixed opinions. One guy on the other posts keeps saying that if you horse it straight off then youll get better performance and MPG. So then I take it if you do that youll be f**cked later down the line when the engine falls to bits?

I guess the safe bet is to follow the book guidelines then...

The only running in mine did was the rolling off the trailor. Your car, your choice, your piece of mind.

With all the torque I found it relatively easy to keep under 3.5k/4k max for first 650 miles - I defy you to keep it under 2.5k though! (unless you have a lot of traffic round your way!)

Im one of the reope who says cane it engines are designed to be hammered there whole life (called the boy racer test) from cold etc now sure youll never drive it as bad as that ie red line from cold but shows the design and testing of the engine.

The engine needs to be hammered (well get up near the redline within the first 20miles) this will mean that the piston rings will expand and push against the liners (think there liners on the engine) and so shape the liners better so the piston is nice and smooth so the rings make a better seal.

Whats the point bedding it in gelty for 6k or whatever since your unlikly to ahve to car for more than 4 times that milage and its not going to fail that quick. Each to there own though.

your unlikey to have the car for more than 24k miles ? ahaha well i supose your right if you really do believe that engines are designed to be hammered!

imo if you hammer it you break it simple as that, now im not saying dont give abit every now and again and have some fun but not till its run in and its all warmed up!

how many cars do u see going down the road that are quite new but have been thrashed and should like a bag O sh*te as they go past, if thats how you want your car to sound then give it some stick!! if you dont.. then dont

Mazda 2, MX5 Mk2.5 Sport

personally Id would try to stick to the rules of the handbook most of the time but still give it a bit of a thrashing when the engine and gearbox is well warmed up.