ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

172/182 Steering Wheel Problem

Cup 172
Has anyone had problems with their steering wheel starting to peel and fall apart around the 3 o'clock position? It's forming a slight ridge on the edge also. My car has done 28,000 miles and is coming to the end of the 3 year warranty. Would you be demanding a new wheel and will they try and fob me off with wear and tear rubbish.

Rest of wheel is fine?

Thoughts/Comments please.

Thanks

Mike

clio 172 cup
Has anyone had problems with their steering wheel starting to peel and fall apart around the 3 o'clock position? It's forming a slight ridge on the edge also. My car has done 28,000 miles and is coming to the end of the 3 year warranty. Would you be demanding a new wheel and will they try and fob me off with wear and tear rubbish.

Rest of wheel is fine?

Thoughts/Comments please.

Thanks

Mike
mines the same,only ive done just 16,000 miles(must have a firm grip, lol)
p.s anyone know how much a new wheel is and is it easy to fit,with the air bag and all?

Cup 172
Renault dealer are saying that as it's an Interior Trim item it may only be covered in the first 12 months of ownership.

Anyone had their steering wheel replace in years 2 or 3? or any other interior trim item?

Renault dealer are saying that as it's an Interior Trim item it may only be covered in the first 12 months of ownership.

Anyone had their steering wheel replace in years 2 or 3? or any other interior trim item?

Mines was done at just over 2 years 45k or so.

They are right its inrterier trim so not covered but its not fit for purpose which is waht EU laws say products should be for it to fail this quick its not fit for purpose therefore covered.

good news for ya matey, mine is just about 3 years old, had my wheel replaced under warranty 2 weeks ago no problems, they even washed the car inside and out while it was there. The only time i've ever been to a renault garage and left a happy man.

Cup 172
Right. The final news. I rang Renault UK Customer Services who advised me to take it into the dealers to have photographs taken. Thee dealer would send them to Renault and they would decide if they were going to allow the replacement, and how much they were going to contribute. if anything!

The Renault dealer who said that it was and interior trim item and only covered for 12 months could not book me in as they were full, so I took it to another dealer who did the photos. When they pulled up the steering wheel on the computer it said it was a 100% warranty replacement item. I don't know if they sent the photos, but the upshot is that the car is booked in next Wedenesday for a free replacement steering wheel!

I thought dealers were all hooked into the same computer system, so why the conflicting messages?

Victory in the end! :)

Black/Gold 182
Mike, bottom line is a lot of Renault dealers are sh*te. Sounds like the other dealer you found might be a bit better