ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

172 Clio into an R5 GTT

R5 GTT
it was a split in the wiring for the ecu to earth

Found that the phase 1 172 loom had a split in the earth wire repaired it and then turned the key and she fired straight up only prob now is that the cam tensioner has come loose.

Anyone got the cam timing tools for hire or local to borrow?

alien green rs133
Found that the phase 1 172 loom had a split in the earth wire repaired it and then turned the key and she fired straight up only prob now is that the cam tensioner has come loose.

Anyone got the cam timing tools for hire or local to borrow?

2" flat bar with a u shape cut out of it :eek:

R5 GTT
th_MVI_5026.gif

Vw caddy tdi
Very nice and thats coming from a 10yr+ 5 coniseur also, standard looking sleeper is the way forward. Side pipe I see had the exact same standard style rear bumper with no cut out on my raider.

R5 GTT
Well not much of an update as needing to sort the cam timing out, just forgot to mention no longer using the alloy Volvo alloy fuel rail due to now using the small stanrard 172 standard injectors and my modified phase 2 rail for an external FPR.

IMG_5025-1.gif

maynard

ClioSport Club Member
  ph2 172 track car
is that the cam belt tensioner? doesn't look good for sure whatever it is.

R5 GTT
Well she is now up and running I have taken her for a quick drive around the block all seems good apart from my 2k idle (no icv) I am adjusting idle by the accelerator cable for now

Well she is now up and running I have taken her for a quick drive around the block all seems good apart from my 2k idle (no icv) I am adjusting idle by the accelerator cable for now

I don't think you'll get the idle right with the cable, you need to be able to adjust the stop on the throttle body. I'm not sure what it looks like, but are you able to fit an adjustable stop?

iirc there was an idle control valve for sale in the forsale section on here, as part of a 'breaking 172', cant remember where now though

'92 172, Lotus Elise
now that you've got your tacho working, can you tell us what rpm it limits at?

do you have the speed sensor plugged in?

Last edited:
  R5 GTT
I don't think you'll get the idle right with the cable, you need to be able to adjust the stop on the throttle body. I'm not sure what it looks like, but are you able to fit an adjustable stop?

There is an adjustable screw on the tb but mine looks the scree has been proper mullered I will drill it out and put a bigger bolt in

Astra 1.9Cdti SRi
Excellent read, and im glad you finally got her up and running, have taken a few bits & bobs such as the Alternator solution tho, which i will be needing for my conversion very soon,

good job james :)

'92 172, Lotus Elise
Max. engine speeds for a coolant temperature < 75°C 6,700 rpm
for a coolant temperature > 75°C in 1st or 2nd gear 7,200 rpm
for a coolant temperature > 75°C in 3rd, 4th or 5th speed 7,000 rpm

are you using the r5 speedo sensor or the 172?

R5 GTT
Max. engine speeds for a coolant temperature < 75°C 6,700 rpm
for a coolant temperature > 75°C in 1st or 2nd gear 7,200 rpm
for a coolant temperature > 75°C in 3rd, 4th or 5th speed 7,000 rpm

are you using the r5 speedo sensor or the 172?

R5 speedo sensor still using the r5 box although i do have a 172 cup box in the shed if the gtt box isn't up for it. I will give it a longer run tomoz and if I feel confident with my conversion a bit if a canning obviously not exceeding speed limits

'92 172, Lotus Elise
how does the r5 speedo sensor work... is it a mechanical cable like the mk1 clio with an electrical loom plug near the dials?

R5 GTT
cool

and you've wired in the speed sensor to the ecu?

Yeah it is wired up being checking out a few other threads on this conversion into a mk1 Clio and the signal has been unsucesful I am now thinking will mine work? What colour wire did you all use?
Also how did you guys wire up the temp gauge? And does anybody know what colour wire does what to the 172 temp sender?

R5 GTT
Fianlly got it on the road (Still need to take for a good canning though)

IMG_5089.gif

Things to do
Temp gauge,
speed sensor queries re above posts,
Find out about how the OE 172 rad fan works (is it constantly on or does it come on when temp switch activatded???)

'92 172, Lotus Elise
have a read through mine and f0xys thread for the temp gauge solution. we plumbed in the mk1 clio dash temp sensor in addition to the 172 item.. i presume you can do the same with the 5.

the 172 rad fan should work properly provided you have the relays in place still as well as connecting up the speed sensor and 172 coolant temp sensor to the ecu... atleast mine does anyway :D

'92 172, Lotus Elise
mk1 coolant temp sensor into mk2 thermostat housing

DSCF1541.jpg

DSCF1542.jpg

DSCF1633.jpg

drill through the housing and slot the sensor in. then secure it from behind with a suitable thin nut. also worthwhile using some sealing washers and silicone to stop it leaking :) - mines been fine up till now. careful with your placement as you will need to leave room for the coolant hose

the mk1 clio sensor has 2 pins, one for the warning light and one for the gauge. just hooked them up as they originally were!

the mk1 used an additional sensor for the ecu...

R5 GTT
mk1 coolant temp sensor into mk2 thermostat housing

drill through the housing and slot the sensor in. then secure it from behind with a suitable thin nut. also worthwhile using some sealing washers and silicone to stop it leaking :) - mines been fine up till now. careful with your placement as you will need to leave room for the coolant hose

the mk1 clio sensor has 2 pins, one for the warning light and one for the gauge. just hooked them up as they originally were!

the mk1 used an additional sensor for the ecu...

Cheers for that I was going to do the same thing but use my orginal GTT temp sender again this is a 2 wire connection and i still have the original connection in place so just be a case of drill and tapping and then extending the cable to get it fit.

I am using a standard 172 phase 1 loom so I assume that the fan should work as normal then as it would have all the above you have mentioned already in place.