ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

172 Clio into an R5 GTT

R5 GTT
Can't keep the 5 down for long back up and running:D
IMG_5732.gif

R5 GTT
why did you give up the 172 project in favour of the 1,4 turbo?

To heavy an engine for the R5 handling was appaling (even though I have Spax RSX coilovers with stiffer srpings) but then if i had spent more time on it and maybe used the Williams wide track & turbo'd the f4r it might have been a different storey.

Quick update -
Engine apart yet again, it would appear that I had totally missed the problem which turned out to be a cracked liner compression test also showd that all rings knackered so new liners and JE piston rings have been ordered to rectify this.

Cylinder number 2 has crack in top (excuse the colour of the coolant it's actually pink halfords stuff jsut bad light as I took it last night under spot lighting).

IMG_5759.gif

R5 GTT
Just some pics of it being apart

Knackered Liner rusting from the outside in :Eek: not good looks like some fecking idiot in the past ran this block just on water and not coolant

if you look at the first pic you can see the rust on the liner but you can also see a line down on the outside of the liner to which it looks like rust is eating it away this is not on the inside of the liner

IMG_5778.gif

IMG_5936.gif

IMG_5975.gif

IMG_5976.gif

172 cup
A question you should also ask is what's the difference in the body weight of the two cars. Granted the weight difference of the engines isn't a great deal but when you bear in mind the fact Renault moved the location of the battery to aid with weight distribution you get an idea why the Clio engine is too heavy

Megane I 2,0 16v
I have a R5 gte, standard engine is a 1,7 engine, so i never tried a Gtt if you feel the difference, for the past 2 years i have had a Clio F7p engine and i cant feel the difference between the engines, the car now weighs around 800kg without me and 15l petrol , i also use Spax rsx suspension.
If i look in the papers the car weights with driver and all fluids 970kg

R5 GTT
Not much of an update really just been playing with the suspension some more and have decided to slam the 5 on the coilovers and I have uprated the front springs on the Spax RSX to shorter and stiffer jobbies to enable me to attempt to keep good handling

IMG_6241.gif

IMG_6244.gif

Golf GTD Mk7
Thought you sold this :S Good to see it's still going :D Don't drop it too much mate. You need to keep the rear slightly higher than the front idealy, and suspension travel is a must imo.

R5 GTT
Thought you sold this :S Good to see it's still going :D Don't drop it too much mate. You need to keep the rear slightly higher than the front idealy, and suspension travel is a must imo.

Was for sale but couldn't let her go at the last minute LOL.

At the mo the car does sit exactly level (pic was taken on a slope) but as you say the front does need to come down. But been having a few clearance problems with the front tyres catching on the outer wing lip that sits under the bodykit arch so need to do some butchering with the angle grinder to sort this out so i can lower the front some more also awaiting some stronger and much stiffer springs to arrive to enable me to go lower on the Spax RSX. The 5 literally sits from the bottom of the side skirts to the floor there is 85mm. The real problem is the fecking side exit centre box hits small bumps LOL and I have it pretty much now touching the underneath of the car I may have to look into a staright pipe to put in place :).

Last edited:
  Golf GTD Mk7
Was for sale but couldn't let her go at the last minute LOL.

At the mo the car does sit exactly level (pic was taken on a slope) but as you say the front does need to come down. But been having a few clearance problems with the front tyres catching on the outer wing lip that sits under the bodykit arch so need to do some butchering with the angle grinder to sort this out so i can lower the front some more also awaiting some stronger and much stiffer springs to arrive to enable me to go lower on the Spax RSX. The 5 literally sits from the bottom of the side skirts to the floor there is 85mm. The real problem is the fecking side exit centre box hits small bumps LOL and I have it pretty much now touching the underneath of the car I may have to look into a staright pipe to put in place :).

lol straight pipe with no rear silencer would be epic loud. Early morning drives wont be very popular with the neighbours :race:

R5 GTT
lol straight pipe with no rear silencer would be epic loud. Early morning drives wont be very popular with the neighbours :race:

:DThankfully it's only the hobby car but this is defo the route will be going so hopefully can get some 2.5" pipe with flared ends so I can slot the exisiting ends into and then clamp them on.

R5 GTT
Well car is now lowered alot more unfortunatly the Spax RSX front coilovers had to go as they did not manage to perform well on a big drop. So have now replaced them in favour of a brand new set of AVO GTZ610 coilovers with custom stiffer eibach springs. I know need to play with the camber and give her a bit of neg camber for her to be perfect.

IMG_6315.gif

IMG_6329.gif

R5 GTT
Well all has been going well with the 5 apart from a few minor problems with the car being so for example side gets bashed about on speed humps, had some welding done, I have also replaced the coilovers springs with some 550lbs 6" jobbies in an attempt to stop bodykit rubbage on hard cornering (on track) without having to raise the car, also new rear pads fitted.

Then all of sudden this happend last wednesday eve:
0514.gif

0512.gif

0511.gif

Head is all good you can see the difference on number 1 cylinder as the valve is black colour
0515.gif

0521.gif

0522.gif

the damaged piston and liner
0523.gif

the damaged Piston
0526.gif

0530.gif

the other side of the piston notice chunk missing this was still stuck to the liner.
0528.gif

Obviously I have been running lean without knowing it, Wideband kit on way to set the carb up again.
Also decided to use my rebuild spare block now as i can not be bothered to repair this one at present.

R5 GTT
Nice work - glad to see it was still going!

How are the liners held into the block out of interest?

Cheers matey, I was planning on tracking it at RTOC national day this year but as the engine I am going to be using is all brand new within I am not going to destroy it just used LOL

With ref to the ole C1J engin - They are merely wet liner, so bascially have a large rubber o ring at the bottom around the liner which keeps the coolant from mixing with the oil and vice versa so they sit in the block in special seats and then the head once bolted and torqued down keeps it all in place.

Cheers matey, I was planning on tracking it at RTOC national day this year but as the engine I am going to be using is all brand new within I am not going to destroy it just used LOL

With ref to the ole C1J engin - They are merely wet liner, so bascially have a large rubber o ring at the bottom around the liner which keeps the coolant from mixing with the oil and vice versa so they sit in the block in special seats and then the head once bolted and torqued down keeps it all in place.

Ah so its the head that physically holds them in place with force downwards, interesting!

Have you thought about fitting a modern 16V engine rather than running that museum piece?

He already did once... I doubt he will do it again after going back to the C1J lol.

R5 GTT
Well 5 was back up and running on the 17/07/2010 with newly rebuild engine now in place, even had the time to fit a pair of 550lbs front coilovers springs that Mr Cooke has lean't me. Have to admit ahd a little drive in the 5 and the springs do make corners feel like you are still going in a straight line there is pretty much no movement at all around the bends am liking this alot.

Just need to sort out the low oil pressure problem that my old engine had and my new engine seems to have inherited also, only thing that has been re-used with this engine is the turbo oil feed pipe one way valve so going to remove the one way valve and see if it makes a difference and going to try another yet another new oil filter aswell.

R5 GTT
Low oil pressure now sorted.

Also just had MOT and she has flown through with no advisories aswell :)

Only jobs left to do are easy fixies, renew oil pressure and oil level connections as corrded and remove lambda bung on downpipe so can plug LM-2 in and check AFR's. Other than that all is good.

R5 GTT
so are 550lb springs the way forward?

Definatly I need to throw it about a little more to make sure but for the little miles I have done it defo feels and handles so much better being so low, just a shame I had a few problems on my first outing since the rebuilt lump has gone in nothing wrong with the block merely the external parts like water pump decideing to fail, then my alternator or battery has packed in aswell (will do tests very soon).

Last edited:
  R5 GTT
OK 5 is getting there almost back to being very similar spec to original modded C1J MSM engine, even got myself a VNT turbo now for the 5 aswell. In fact I have purchased my old one back from the bloke i sold it to it's not even been used since I sold it.

R5 GTT
Well guess what I have done a head gasket :rasp: yes this was down to my own stupid fault, fueling was spot on but I was playing with the tdc sensor and forgot to adjust it to where it was originally and I suffered some bad det causing the H/G to fail luckily nothing else failed this time.

But this gave me a chance to add some more bits to the little R5, everytime it breaks I just keep adding more:)

So now got another Cylinder head and this one has been ported and polished etc.., also now got a matched inlet manifold , got myself a 2nd hand Gay-Tec mk1 tubluar exhaust manifold. Whilst the engine is partly apart i have re-timed the cam in for some more top end power, so will loose some lower but hopefully the VNT turbo will make up for that :).

Note to self - TDC sensor full r****d LOL

Check out the egged H/G
SAM_1181.gif

Block after incident (all ok)
SAM_1185.gif

piper 285 cam vernier
SAM_1209.gif

The new cylinder head in fact it's my old head of my old engine LOL
SAM_1228.gif

Last edited:
  R5 GTT
Should add considering doing an F7p/r turbo conversion into the 5 aswell. but this time C1J will be kept in storage if i do go this route but will be turbo from the off.

R5 GTT
:rasp: It's a 5 it needs to be fiddled with. Before I commit to another conversion I am waiting for 5teveL on RTOC to finish his into his 5 then I can see his first and see if it's any good.

Some more update pics, decided to ditch the OE GTT seats front and rear got feed up with the bolsters sagging and material ripping, and having to keep replacing the seats. So gone for the Clio 16v Mk1 Dark grey leather seats, with a bit of welding to the tunnel in the car for brackets to support the Clio 16v seat frames I have managed to get them in, couple of pics below (personally I think they look much better and they are som comfy like sitting in a lazy boy chair)

I know the clio Mk1 -Mk3 carpets will fit in the 5 which I am looking into a have been given a Renault 19 black carpet which I am going to test fit to see if it will fit in the 5, as the only downside to keeping the 5 red carpet is the seats for the 5 frames are not used due to the clio frame being alot wider and using different mounting points so I have holes in the carpet now

user34_pic14676_1296292407.gif

user34_pic14672_1296233148.gif

R5 GTT
Engine bay pic update not much of a change OE rocker cover back in place, as to much bling to clean:D also made an engine staibiliser bar in an attempt to stop some of the engine movement

SAM_1738.gif

Mk1 Focus RS
your bloody everywhere james lol, looking good in some of pictures, tried looking at one of your photo bucket video's and it tells me I need a password ?

R5 GTT
still looks very good james...still makes me giggle thinking about the day you bought it of bod.

Was a very good day I still remember it well, weird to think that was quite a few years back now and the ole girl has been through quiet a few engine changes since then:eek:, pretty much back to the orginal engine spec now, I even now have the original MSM engine block that was in the car in my garage, the head is on the engine that is currently in the car :)

We will have to catch up again Ivan :)

R5 GTT
Seriously James, when are you going to lower the car then? ;)

You say that I ripped the sidey of the end of last week and I have actually raised the car prior to this, I managed to snap the centre bracket that is welded to the exhaust :( sidey currently off and @ welders.