ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

172 Cup, 172 or Subaru

Quote: Originally posted by tumbleweed on 28 January 2004

D-Cup 1.5 secs quicker to 100 than a 172?....that may be on paper. but in the real world....the urban warrior cup doesnt seem to be so fast, raced quite a few and really it is down to driver....yes a well driven 172 can beat a 172 cup...and I have done so quite on occasions...

i wonder why so many cup drivers go for extra tuned exhausts, r-sport ecus and crash diets to get an extra .2 to 60 improvement?

I for one would rather have the Xenons, nice seats, climate control , ESP nice in bad conditions...what i dont want is to appear like a pauper in a poor spec car...but dont get me wrong, i like the cup...but now i would rather have a 182 cup or wait for the new lightweight 182 cup later on this year.

Is there really any need for comments like this???? Are you calling all Cup drivers paupers??? I bet you got your 172 from a car super market for less than a new Cup. Please keep sad comments like this to yourself sonny.

Elise/VX220/R26

Quote: Originally posted by Rallye-King on 29 January 2004
Quote: Originally posted by tumbleweed on 28 January 2004D-Cup  1.5 secs quicker to 100 than a 172?....that may be on paper. but in the real world....the urban warrior cup doesnt seem to be so fast, raced quite a few and really it is down to driver....yes a well driven 172 can beat a 172 cup...and I have done so quite on occasions...i wonder why so many cup drivers go for extra tuned exhausts, r-sport ecus and crash diets to get an extra .2 to 60 improvement?I for one would rather have the Xenons, nice seats, climate control , ESP nice in bad conditions...what i dont want is to appear like a pauper in a poor spec car...but dont get me wrong, i like the cup...but now i would rather have a 182 cup or wait for the new lightweight 182 cup later on this year.[/QUOTE] Is there really any need for comments like this????  Are you calling all Cup drivers paupers???  I bet you got your 172 from a car super market for less than a new Cup.  Please keep  sad comments like this to yourself sonny.

I agree, FFS the cup is the same as the 172 with like 3 features taken off, they are still the same car! Constant bickering about weather the cup or 172 is better is bad for the club and frankly boring now. IMO the cup is/was the single best VFM car in production, 172 aint far behind either. As for a scoob well your gonna get a sh*tter for 10 grand in one way or another. I suppose it depends weather you want value and reliability (cup) Value, reliability and toys (172) or all out performance and f**k the cost (scoob)

Rich-D

ClioSport Club Member
  E90 LCI 330d

Quote: Originally posted by Rallye-King on 29 January 2004

Is there really any need for comments like this???? Are you calling all Cup drivers paupers??? I bet you got your 172 from a car super market for less than a new Cup. Please keep sad comments like this to yourself sonny.
Didnt even rise to this one mate as its tired now...

jamesm,

It depends on what your requirements are for a car and what sort of funds are available to you.

Personally id go for the scoob, just for the reliability (these renaults keep going back to the garage to get fixed :eek:;)) but then again if your on a budget then its probably a good buy.

The impreza on the otherhand is an out and out monster, better than the cup because its designed to do something the cup isnt, be an all weather point to point car, but you do pay somewhere, mainly in the fuel and servicing costs (considering some services cost 500+ quid and on average your paying 500 quid a year on servicing it doesnt half build up...)

The downsides to look at are that cups/172s are available to much younger people from new than Imprezas, this means that alot have been ragged from new and alot of warranties wont pay anything on abused cars (read the small print for those who dont agree;))

There is always the 206 gti180, i was going to purchase one, ok its a bit slow in 2nd gear but then again it was pretty new (1200 miles on it so still very tight) and my last 306 gti-6 still felt tight at 15k :eek:, but it will outhandle the above 172 and cup, something alot of people will deny (its actually very impressive in the handling department, a much improved setup over the standard gti.

A test drive in any of the above cars though is needed to see what you prefer as my preferences (ie 320bhp AWD lightweight Impreza) over your preferences may differ slightly ;)

Tony:D

KDF

Audi TT Stronic

Quote: Originally posted by clio sport on 30 January 2004KDF where do you keep getting these kermit pics from - because frankly todays is quite disturbing :eek:

They change everytime you load up a thread with me in it.. not everyday.. depends which one you were meaning..

was it the one with the glowing eyes ? :devilish:

ON TOPIC:

if you want a cheap + fast car get the Cup.
if you want a cheapish + faster car get the 172 :D
if you have a big budget get the scoob.

You might want to consider an DC2 Honda Integra Type R (original one), the best late plate low milage can be picked up for £10k.

If you want a raw drivers car then this is the Daddy, as EVO magazine says "One of the best drivers cars we know, too raw for some". Dont be put off by the raw bit, its not that loud on the motorway, my brothers stripped out 106 Rallye was much louder.

Oh and its got a limited slip differential, which until you have driven a car round the twisties with, you cannot appreciate what a huge and I mean huge difference it makes.

Rich-D

ClioSport Club Member
  E90 LCI 330d

Quote: Originally posted by Paul Wicks on 30 January 2004

You might want to consider an DC2 Honda Integra Type R (original one), the best late plate low milage can be picked up for £10k.
Good choice... Id have one!

Rich-D Ive got an Integra TYpe R ..... after rolling my 172 (the shells very strong you know!!), a few months ago :sick:

Simply an amazing car on the road, even better on the track straight out of the box. 9k rev limit takes some getting use to!!

Spec C 12.5@110 (345/355)

Ah, sorry to hear that Paul, I didnt know! Whats going to happen to the old website?

Not sure about the 206gti TB11, EVO had some good words for the french car though!

"It has to be one of the best drives I have ever had in wales...one of the nimblest hot hatches around...Before long you find yourself traveling faster and faster. Without doubt this is one of the great icons of modern times, for its looks, its character, its grin factor. But then the drive in the clio v6 is over and Im handed the keys to the other french car, the peugeot 180. Chalk and cheese........the steering on the 206 feels like it has been smothered in bonjella. The rides not even particularly good."

Rich-D

ClioSport Club Member
  E90 LCI 330d

Quote: Originally posted by Paul Wicks on 30 January 2004

Rich-D Ive got an Integra TYpe R ..... after rolling my 172 (the shells very strong you know!!), a few months ago :sick:

Simply an amazing car on the road, even better on the track straight out of the box. 9k rev limit takes some getting use to!!
Damn... didnt know about that!!!

Were you ok?!

Love the Tegs though, was seriously considering one and would still have one!

HI JUST SWAPPED MY MK1 172 FOR A 02 MK2 172 FLAME RED WITH 9.5K MILES ,,10K FROM RENAULT DEALER! (AFTER SOME HAGGLING!).PICKING IT UP ON MONDAY.

WOULD ALWAYS GO FOR 172 OVER CUP,THE CUP LOOKS BETTER,BUT I LIKE CLIMATE CONT,ESP,ABS, RAIN SENS WIPERS,AUTOHEADLIGHTS,PROPER BACK SEAT,SPARE WHEEL,CD MULTICHANGER,ETC ETC,FOR 10K YOU CAN GET A CAR BETTER SPECCED THAN MOST BMWS AND FASTER THAN ALL BAR A 330I(CLOSE) AND M3.

SCOOBYS GREAT BUT CAN YOU AFFORD 20 MPG (CRUISING!)!!! AND THE RIDICULOUS INSURANCE.

I have just traded a 1999 Impreza for an 52 cup after £3000 worth of engine work !!

The Impreza is faster A>B without doubt but it doesnt have the driver involvement of the cup.

The cup is a real hoot to drive I reccomend it highly.

Rich-D

ClioSport Club Member
  E90 LCI 330d

Quote: Originally posted by D-CUP on 01 February 2004

The 106 gti youre driving is far less refined than a CUP.
How do you know?!

I had a 106 GTi in the past (for 2 years) and with the leather interior, ABS, sunroof, etc... they are better spec than the Cup!

Rich-D

ClioSport Club Member
  E90 LCI 330d

Quote: Originally posted by 182 sport on 07 February 2004

thanks Rich D u answered that for me.
But as we know... trim level aint everything... ;)