ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

172 cup alternator kit - fitting ???

I'm fitting 172 cup alternator kit to my 182, all air con gubbins removed, I'm aware I have to bend/change 182 pas pipe, but do I need to change/move air con pump ? I've bolted 172 cup alternator brackets in but cannot see how to fit the alternator because the pas pump is in the way. Any advice/pictures ?
Cheers

No, compressor gone, I've been using a different pulley below the alternator. Now I've bought cup brackets and alternator, but with alternator bracket bolted in, I can't fit the alternator because the pas pump is in the way, I'm trying to work out if the cup bracket is fitted correctly or whether the pas pump was moved when I originally had the air con removed 3 years ago. Hope this makes sense.

Last edited:
  172 Race Car
A 30 second google search gave me this........

DSC07114.jpg

DSC00021.jpg

IMG_0293-1.jpg

All images from Cliosport.net

I've got the cup alternator, but the pas pump is above where the cup alternator should go ? I cannot fit alternator with the pas pump in the position it is now. On the pictures above the pas pump/pulley is below the alternator, whereas on mine the pulley/pump is above, (if that makes sense). I may go for a Pure aircon delete kit, (brackets+belt only), as I can return the alternator etc...

I've got those brackets, I've fitted the "adjuster" bracket on the car but the cup alternator will not fit because the pas pump is in the way.I could possibly remove the pas pump and fit it on the alternator bracket under the alternator. On the last image in your post on 20:02 you can see the pas pump bolted on below the alternator, on mine it is above.
Mine is similar to this:
http://www.cliosport.net/forum/show...o-172-Air-con-delete&highlight=air+con+delete

Last edited:
  172 Race Car
Nothing possibly about it, the pump must go under the alternator. the adjuster bracket is designed for it. Just do this............

IMG_0293-1.jpg

Thanks for the reply. I may just go for the Pure kit, because it will work out cheaper, ( can take back alternator + belt), won't have to go to Pirtek for modified pas pipe and because with the pas pump now under the alternator there is very little room because I've got the small Polo rad and it may foul the fan frame with engine movement. Once again thanks for the advice and input.

RS 172
Thought i'd bring up an old thread just to confirm a couple of things. I've got a FF 172, which i want to remove the AC.

I've purchased a Cup setup, brackets and Alternator. From what i've read in most places is all i need to do is bend the PAS pump. Is this correct? Anything else i need to do?

Cheers

Mertin

ClioSport Club Member
  Ph1 172&Ph2 172 Cup
Bend the PAS pipe you mean? Im pretty sure you need to move the PAS pump from its current position. I run the PMS kit but a mate fitted a cup setup and he had the same problem at first and then had to move the PAS pump as it sits in a different location on the cup. Sure there will be threads covering this as its a common job?

Mertin

ClioSport Club Member
  Ph1 172&Ph2 172 Cup
@
Bend the PAS pipe you mean? Im pretty sure you need to move the PAS pump from its current position. I run the PMS kit but a mate fitted a cup setup and he had the same problem at first and then had to move the PAS pump as it sits in a different location on the cup. Sure there will be threads covering this as its a common job?

@gb270_calum

Renault Clio 172 CUP
Hi, sorry to raise an old thread but I am in a similar situation. I have searched but could not find a definite answer. I have this cup setup ready to fit to my car. However the kit was supplied with some bolts missing. I do have the top bracket long bolt and also the tensioner but no others. Also have shorter belt. Will my bolts from the original aircon brackets work? I was advised by the ebay seller that my old bolts will work but wanted to know for definite before taking the car apart. Thanks.