ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

172 cup boosted track toy!

172 cup, Impreza P1
Re: 172 Cup track toy!

At least that is making at least 60% contact. What's the script with these then, do helix know that this is an issue?

Cup In bits

Yeah I guess its because its been hammered for 30 mins + qualifying that it has bedded in more than yours. Im not sure if it is an issue as everyone I have seen is worn like that, mine included but mine has been fitted longer so it's 90% coverage of the paddle.

No word back from helix?

172 cup, Impreza P1

No word back, not great from them tbh.

Not sure yet what would cause this. Heat in use or bad manufacturing?

172 cup, Impreza P1

Clutch pressure plate is getting skimmed today so engine is going in on Saturday. They said they had to skim 0.7mm off the plate and mating face of the cover which is a lot in my eyes but I'll see how it goes.

More updates coming soon! :D

172 cup, Impreza P1

Here is a few pics of my machined helix cover plate. The company did quite a good job by actually welding a large pipe to allow them to hold it in the chuck to allow them to skim the face of the pressure plate.

Cover plate after removing pipe:
Helixcoverplate-coverface_zpsc2d9a9d0.jpg

Pressure plate after skim is completely flat now :approve:
Helixpressureplate-aftermachining_zps352dac97.jpg

As they removed 0.6mm from the face of the pressure plate, the same had to be removed from the mounting face.
Helixcoverplate-matingface_zps5d6ecf10.jpg

This will now allow me to get the engine back in over the weekend and so the running in started. Hopefully no more set backs now! :nono:

Cup In bits

Will await to see your results with clutch slippage, mine should be areet with 190lbfts max.

Extreme measures taken to skim the face, my mate did say It was a hoor of a thing to get a hold of , nice job done!

172 cup, Impreza P1

I like the idea they came up with. They are a good machine shop and I use them a lot for work so know their workmanship.

Got the engine in today and all the wiring loom conneted. Started to fit my mocal laminova oil cooler but the straight fittings I have from the sandwich plate dont seem to be compatible with the hose I have. The oil cooler fittings are fine so I'll need to get some other fittings for the plate end.

Was hoping to get it fully built up over the weekend but it's not going to happen now :(.

Pics to follow tomorrow!

Cup In bits

Just noticed your post on my thread.

Yeah you have to get correct fittings for the teflon hose and standard hose, different mounting style. Mocal stuff is 1/2bsp typically, so you need the crossover fitting, im sure you already know about this after fitting sandwich plate??

172 cup, Impreza P1

Yeah, it's 1/2" bsp to AN10 straight fittings I have for the sandwich plate but it's the hose side that won't work with the hose I have. It's not Teflon hose I have either, just steel braided rubber.

Cup In bits

emmm not really sure what you could do to sort it, the company I bought mine from do standard and speed flow fittings for the normal braided hose, then the teflon stuff. I have noticed some variations from hose securing method from different manufacturers of fittings. Have you mixed and matched different company's hose/fittings?

172 cup, Impreza P1

Yup, 2 were from torques and 2 were from demon motorsport. The demon ones fit and the torques don't.

I'll order some 1/2" bsp to an10 male adapters to fit on the sandwich plate and the I can fit the same an10 fittings from demon.

Just annoying as I wanted the car running by the end of the weekend.

Cup In bits

Its never easy mate. So its demon motorsport hose you have right?

Mine are all torques, hope there ok.

Also out of interest, did you notice colour changes from the 2 different companys??

172 cup, Impreza P1

Got the rest of the engine bay assembly finished off and also fitted the driveshafts. Thats everything done apart from the oil cooler lines and then I can fit the radiator and boost pipes from the intercooler to the inlet manifold.

Pic of the oil cooler

DSCF2314_zps83b56daa.jpg

DSCF2315_zpscde01911.jpg

Some shots of how it stands now

DSCF2316_zps4a6dfcf3.jpg

DSCF2317_zps3bc84e2d.jpg

DSCF2318_zpsfc69771b.jpg

And the new 14" fan to help the cooling a bit hopefully

DSCF2319_zps1749c3ec.jpg

Hopefully I'll get the fitting this week and get this thing on the road. :D

172 cup, Impreza P1

Update time!

Right, after my oil worries of yesterday, today was a lot better. Yesterday, I tried dry cranking the engine with the plugs out but could not get any oil pressure. After talking it through with some very helpful and knowledgeable fellow forumers, I decided to just fire it up fully as the starter motor rpm wasn't enough to get any oil pressure. So, I got the spark plugs and leads all connected and gave it another quick once over. Everything seemed fine so decided to give it a crank. Just kept cranking but no signs of firing. Had another look under the bonnet and realised I had forgotten to connect up the coil pack plug. Fitted this and hey presto, it fires up first time! With all this excitement I didn't record it either.

The head sounded very tapety for the first few seconds then the oil came up to pressure and it quickly quietened down to a normal noise level. Ran it for a short while then turned it off to check for anything untoward. Everything seemed ok so fired it up again and left it running for about 20 mins or so. I spotted a small amount of oil running down the sump to the front of the engine but cant see if it is coming from the sump seal or the oil cooler. I'll have a better look when I'm doing the first oil change to semi-synthetic.

DSCF0013.jpg

The other small issue is the fan runs continuously just now as when we were testing things at scoffs it was set like this and we forgot to put it back. I need to get a laptop with a serial plug which is like hens teeth these days so might just leave as is until I am back down at EFI Parts.

Went for a quick spin round the block a few times with the bumper off. With the sound of this thing and the bumper off, I was getting some very interesting looks lol. All seems to be ok with the clutch as well but not given it the full beens obviously yet so fingers crossed.

Here's some pics of it before the bumper was put on:

DSCF0010.jpg

DSCF0012.jpg

Last edited:
  172 cup, Impreza P1

Cheers mate, appreciate the comment.

I just cant get away with how good it sounds even under part throttle. I'll get a vid up once I can rev it a bit.

RS6+ & 40d MSport X5

You've thrown a good amount of readies at that, matey!

Looks great!!

172 cup, Impreza P1

Hope it looks as aggresive when the bumper is on! :p

Hopefully this will let me bully the scooby and evo boys to get out the road at KH! :D

172 cup, Impreza P1

Running in is going well, just slow. Managed to do 72 miles so far, lol.

Pic of the car during the run today:
DSCF0707.jpg

Only another 128 to go then another oil and filter change then another 200 and another oil and filter change then bootang! ;)

172 cup, Impreza P1

Good shout mate. I'll pop over very soon! The mrs doesnt want me venturing to far from home as she is due to drop any day now so staying semi local just now.

You picked up the car yet?

172 cup

Yeah best staying close by. Must say tho I have to travel nearly to your when we need the hospital RAH after the NHS cut backs.

Got the car at the door not driven it yet tho had the Subaru to use. Will get into it tomorrow and will need to sort getting up to you to collect the manifold.

RS6+ & 40d MSport X5

Loving the SHYTE reggy LOL!

Yeah, we're still going up dude. Hopefully steal a session in your passenger seat if its free ;)

172 cup, Impreza P1

Loving the SHYTE reggy LOL!

Yeah, we're still going up dude. Hopefully steal a session in your passenger seat if its free ;)

should be ready for then and the passenger seat has your name on it!