ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

172 Cup Project

leeds_182

North Yorkshire & Humber
ClioSport Area Rep
Have you got your other graph before the bodies?

A88AEA44-C0C1-4DF0-AFAF-D3B5CD098C42-1557-0000013B4CA2C7CC_zps805e89a1.jpg

Ph1 Tom

ClioSport Club Member
I don't know what others have made at rs tuning with itbs but a lot of other rollers overread.

When people say they see 210-215 ish with just itbs and 421 cams imo that's a bit optimistic, you'd be looking at around 200 on the rs tuning rollers I think. Which is realistic considering it's still only a 2.0 with fast road cams.

I have read in a few other threads now that 438's really don't work well with bodies :(

I think if you really want over 200bhp you're gonna have to flog them and get 421's instead mate

leeds_182

North Yorkshire & Humber
ClioSport Area Rep
I have read in a few other threads now that 438's really don't work well with bodies :(

I think if you really want over 200bhp you're gonna have to flog them and get 421's instead mate

Thats gonna be the plan in the long term I think but I'm happy with it at the moment regardless. Ill probably consider doing this when the belts get done next time...

Ph1 Tom

ClioSport Club Member

That's just speculation, cams don't work like that though.

The 438 will work fine with ITBs no differently to any other camshaft.

421 have a longer duration and slightly different cam timing to move the power band up the rev range a bit, hence making more power.

Ph1 Tom

ClioSport Club Member
421 won't do 215 at rs tuning. 200-205 realistically.

Headwork, 422 and pocketed pistons (keep the standard ones imo) will see a genuine 215. And they don't lose out too much low down like the 423 do.

That's just speculation, cams don't work like that though.

The 438 will work fine with ITBs no differently to any other camshaft.

421 have a longer duration and slightly different cam timing to move the power band up the rev range a bit, hence making more power.

Errrr how is it speculation. Several people including Jim here have now tried 438's with bodies and aren't getting decent power out of them.

Cam's don't work like what? You've just said that 438's have a shorter duration (probably to avoid valve overlap on a standard inlet) so will never make as much power as 421's

Also are people actually talking about 428's? Catcams don't list a 438 for a clio

Ph1 Tom

ClioSport Club Member
Errrr how is it speculation. Several people including Jim here have now tried 438's with bodies and aren't getting decent power out of them.

Cam's don't work like what? You've just said that 438's have a shorter duration (probably to avoid valve overlap on a standard inlet) so will never make as much power as 421's

Also are people actually talking about 428's? Catcams don't list a 438 for a clio

Will 438 work as well, yes, but differently. Will they make the same peak figures, no.

You're talking a few degrees of duration and a slight difference in overlap due to timing. But more so that you get with the standard cams.

So will 438 work better with ITBs than standard cams?! Define better. They'll make higher peak figures if that's what you're after.

Its just another profile among many. Saying one works better than another isn't correct.

E.G Are 423 better than 421. In my opinion no. Because the 423 lose out on torque below 6000 rpm and then only make more peak power over 7000rpm.

Will 438 work as well, yes, but differently. Will they make the same peak figures, no.

I'm so confused by you it's unreal.

He's posted his rolling road graph, its virtually identical to mine. He hasn't gained any mid torque or mid power, the peak power isn't much higher. So ermmmmm they don't work lol. I don't know how you can say you don't get the same gains but that doesn't mean the cams don't work. That's surely the point of fitting cams?

Anyway putting those weird comments to one side - the car looks absolutely awesome. The dark wheels suit it well!

Ph1 Tom

ClioSport Club Member
I'm so confused by you it's unreal.

He's posted his rolling road graph, its virtually identical to mine. He hasn't gained any mid torque or mid power, the peak power isn't much higher. So ermmmmm they don't work lol. I don't know how you can say you don't get the same gains but that doesn't mean the cams don't work. That's surely the point of fitting cams?

Anyway putting those weird comments to one side - the car looks absolutely awesome. The dark wheels suit it well!

Different rollers. Reckon you'd do 194 on the RS Tuning rollers?

And as they are 428 its only a slightly better inlet. What makes me laugh is how people claim they get around 215bhp with the 428s and ITBs...

Chris205

ClioSport Club Member
  Many Things
Much better than them other things you had!
+1

Glad you're looking after it and as I said, timing is bang on with it. Looks sweet on the 2118's also.

I guess you can get hooked up on figures all day long because with the clio's there is always this horrid deficit you're trying to overcome from the quoted factory figures. IMO it's how the car drives/runs that counts and if you're happy with it, who gives a f**k what figure a dyno puts out.

If you want decent power turbo it. If you want to chase 1-2 bhp on a dyno, keep pouring your money down the drain tuning it N/a. Either way in reality the car wont be much faster N/a unless you go for a full on race engine or something along the lines of the build going on with sharky's trophy.

leeds_182

North Yorkshire & Humber
ClioSport Area Rep
+1

Glad you're looking after it and as I said, timing is bang on with it. Looks sweet on the 2118's also.

I guess you can get hooked up on figures all day long because with the clio's there is always this horrid deficit you're trying to overcome from the quoted factory figures. IMO it's how the car drives/runs that counts and if you're happy with it, who gives a f**k what figure a dyno puts out.

If you want decent power turbo it. If you want to chase 1-2 bhp on a dyno, keep pouring your money down the drain tuning it N/a. Either way in reality the car wont be much faster N/a unless you go for a full on race engine or something along the lines of the build going on with sharky's trophy.

This is true. I only had the timing checked as Paul suggested it to be honest and I'm glad I did as it's eliminated that possibility.

leeds_182

North Yorkshire & Humber
ClioSport Area Rep
Cheers dude. A Yorkshire meet needs arranging - it's been pretty poor this year, like last year...and the year before that.

Chi

Z4, VW172, R26
Try efi rollers? They had a RR day it's prob still going. .
Re Yorkshire meet, cadwell is looming :)

SharkyUK

ClioSport Club Member
I've just had a read / catch-up through your thread... and you've got a real nice Clio, mate :) I wouldn't get too hung up on the RR figures at all. You've got a nice specification engine and 193-odd bhp isn't too shabby at all. I'd bet there are a fair few ITB setups out there, claiming arguably better specs, that don't make that power. NA tuning is definitely expensive and not the way to go if chasing figures! I love NA and have gone into my current engine build with realistic expectations. Had I wanted big figures it would have been a no-brainer (and significantly cheaper) to go boosted. Anyway, I'm waffling and re-iterating what you already know so I'll shut up. :eek: Bottom line = you've got a real nice Cup. :)

leeds_182

North Yorkshire & Humber
ClioSport Area Rep
I've just had a read / catch-up through your thread... and you've got a real nice Clio, mate :) I wouldn't get too hung up on the RR figures at all. You've got a nice specification engine and 193-odd bhp isn't too shabby at all. I'd bet there are a fair few ITB setups out there, claiming arguably better specs, that don't make that power. NA tuning is definitely expensive and not the way to go if chasing figures! I love NA and have gone into my current engine build with realistic expectations. Had I wanted big figures it would have been a no-brainer (and significantly cheaper) to go boosted. Anyway, I'm waffling and re-iterating what you already know so I'll shut up. :eek: Bottom line = you've got a real nice Cup. :)

Thanks for that mate, you're dead right with what you're saying re the power. I could possibly go for more but at the moment im
just going to enjoy it and it drives really nice.