ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

172 cup - running in (ooops)

Hi guys,

as some of you may know I got my new cup last week and Ive been driving like miss daisy each day since. That is until saturday... my mate was round my pad who I dont see that often cuz he live miles away, anyway took him for a quick run to the offy and then a little detour down a nice bit of dual carriage way. There impatience and testosterone took the better of me as I took it to 6000rpm in 2nd - then 5500 in 3rd. Then slowing down immediately, partly due to my mates screams of sh1t, sh1t and more sh1t!!! and partly as I regained my senses and looked at my mile counter reading.... 225m

I had swore I would run it in properly and would just like to know if Ive made some terrible mistake etc.

p.s. does anyone know why its 625 mile run in period? It seems a very precise amount.

It is 625 miles because that translates to 1000km. I am still running in my 182, and its killing me. Only 250 miles to go though, then its fun time. :D

Astra VXR 17/05/07

Im the same,ive only done about 330 miles in my 182,despite the other school of thought about giving it loads from the start i just cant bring myself to do it !!

Its killing me as well but its nice to know if i do get carried away it wont do any damage.

172, Tiguan

well its advisable to vary the revs anyway.

So as long as it wasnt sustained revving all will be ok.

There will be far more damage if you pootle round below 3k for the first 650 miles.

going to give it the first proper clean today seeing as I am off. even borrowed a supagard pack from work. then think it will be a long drive to anywhere. 625 will be here in no time.

Tappd'd RS

should be fine, did the same with my cup. As someone said, just done sustain the revs at those sort of levels.

you should vary the revs anyhow to make sure the rings expand properly, It probably did it good because it means the gas can get behind/underneith the rings causing them to expand agains the walls. and like the others said, as long as you didnt sustain the revs youll be fine

Quote: Originally posted by jon_r on 29 March 2004

There will be far more damage if you pootle round below 3k for the first 650 miles.
Cheers all!

Ive been trying to keep revs between 2-3k at all times, which aint no fun either. Fortunately Ive got a couple of long jaunts to do this week, so 625 should be up br Fri :devilish:

Quote: Originally posted by cliopete on 29 March 2004

you should vary the revs anyhow to make sure the rings expand properly, It probably did it good because it means the gas can get behind/underneith the rings causing them to expand agains the walls. and like the others said, as long as you didnt sustain the revs youll be fine
should I start to increase the rev range I use then? Like to 4k once so many miles done? Or what? :confused:

gave mine death from the start! same as with my bike:run it in slow,stay slow,run it in fast,stay fast! hasnt done any damage as far as im aware!

Rich-D

ClioSport Club Member
  E90 LCI 330d

Well youd done a few gentle miles anyway and as long as the car was fully warmed up before you gave it some beans then it will be fine.

lol dont let it bounce off the limiter cos thatll wont do it much good while running in, but as the rest have said, use a wide range of revs, and occasionally accelerate hard in all gears but dont keep the revs too high

Pink & Blue 182, JDM DC2

drive it like your supposed to. Mines ex-demo so god knows how hard its been driven in its former life..

On 28,000 now.... and its given stick everyday up to and over 6,000rpm.... cant help myself.... too much fun.....

Si.

Mk2 Clio V6 / 996 C4S

Interesting reading guys, and just the excuse I need to give the V6 a good caneing. 350 miles so far, and nothing over 3000 rpm. Its been hell.:sick:

Might take it up to 4500 and see what its like.(y)

Done 700 miles without giving it some, gradually building up the last couple of hundred miles.

Gave it full welly last night for a mile or so off a roundabout in 2nd, 3rd, 4th. Dont know if its just because its so small but it felt silly quick, pulls like a seriously quick train. Going to take some getting used to before proper country blasts are the order of the day.

Funny enough, done 820miles now whilst practicing

E55, KitCar & '85 Quattro

nah dont worry, they told me to leave it 625miles b4 i cud take it over 3000rpm but i just left it till 300miles.... and then i put my K&N on it after 600miles!

but i always leave it till the oil is at normal temp untill i floor it.

have u heard about the m5? ure sposed to leave that 1500km b4 u take it above 3000rpm- and their really strickt on it! its so hard tho, wit all that power, i bet no1 can keep to it!

-phil-

Mazda 2, MX5 Mk2.5 Sport

As long as its warm thrash the knackers off it.......the way I see it is if gonna break you might as well break it under warranty.

Quote: Originally posted by Simo on 29 March 2004

Interesting reading guys, and just the excuse I need to give the V6 a good caneing. 350 miles so far, and nothing over 3000 rpm. Its been hell.:sick:

Oh come on! Are you seriously telling me a 3.0 V6 cant handle more than 3000rpm when running in? You dont get the standard Clio handbook with it do you?

Peddled device

Dealer told me that l can have fun in it but just dont murder it.

430 miles on the new Cup now and had it to 3700rpm on the way home tonight (yes....just for once there was a bit of room to get some speed up on the M60 near Eccles!!!:))

The pull in 4th when at 40mph is just unreal:)

been on a long run today on motorway and decided to take it to 4000 for a while in 5th. Felt good :) Upto nearly 400 now so not long left.

p.s. when does it readline? at 7k or just after?

Mk2 Clio V6 / 996 C4S

Quote: Originally posted by D-CUP on 29 March 2004

Quote: Originally posted by Simo on 29 March 2004

Oh come on! Are you seriously telling me a 3.0 V6 cant handle more than 3000rpm when running in? You dont get the standard Clio handbook with it do you?
Chill......

GW Clio 200

I must admit when I got my Cup I lasted 3 to 4 miles before I booted it. My car has done 4200 miles in 5 months and I have belted it everywhere I have gone. Recently I have felt a huge surge in power in first and second gear. It was always fast in second but it just seems to have gotten faster still. It loosening up now and pulls in every gear really well.

I wouldnt worry about the whole running in period personally too much, obviously you are going to over do it sometimes just make sure its warmed up a little then give it some......

Scuse my ignorance but what is rev limit till 650??? Will hopefully cover that milage in first couple of weekends of ownership as I have a 450mile round trip to Thruxton for touring cars:)

3500 / 80mph

Ive done 400 miles now and have started to take it up to 3750 in 4th and 4000 in 5th when engine well warmed up. Partly cuz Im impatient and partly cuz I think you need to, so the rings expand??? Or so someone wrote earlier in this post.

15,000 thrashed miles so far, ran it in for one day (200 miles) then let it go, it just keeps getting quicker, no 4k rattle, no first gear thunk, love it!

Peddled device

520 miles now.......had it up to 4200 rpm at about 80........soon be time for .....

BIGBADDABOOMMMMMMMMMMMMM

Done approx 550 miles now......will my cup get any quicker with the more miles i.e 1500 as the book states that you can resonably expect full performance after these miles?

Fiat Coupe 20v turbo

Most 172/Cup owners say that the engine only reaches its potential after ten thousand+ miles rather than 1000 or 2000.