ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

172 Cup Stage Rally Car

Pauleds

ClioSport Club Member
  Merc Dueliner sport
Been on it again today, cage is now bolted in except for the doorways.
Need to change glove box door as that was cut down for the last cage, and secure the fuse box/Uch etc which due to time constraints will be a temporary thing. Bolt seats etc back in. Also need a new battery tomorrow as my Odyssey pc680 is fecked.
Tracking, camber check and refit RARB.
Another busy couple of days ahead to get it ready for Sunday.
20171005_165257.jpg
20171005_165317.jpg
20171005_165331.jpg

Pauleds

ClioSport Club Member
  Merc Dueliner sport
The way I'm going I doubt I will even remember any food and drink

Pauleds

ClioSport Club Member
  Merc Dueliner sport
Ran out of time again today due to having to pick the kids up etc but it is pretty much there now.
Most annoying issue was having to move the codriver seat forward and up to the top of the sidemounts as it fouls on the door bar. I may have to have a look again and perhaps drill new holes and move it in a bit to be able to drop it down again. I didn't think there would be any issues with the seats as I thought the cage was out towards the door more but where the door bar joins the main hoop it is a lot higher.
It's been so frustrating having to do all this. Yes it's nice that SD have given us free exchanges but it's cost me 5 days to sort it and even now there's little fiddly bits I want to change but it will be fine for the weekend.
Just need to fit the rear arb tomorrow, run it down the road with the Dunlop X12 tyres on to heat cycle them and give it a wash as it's a bit dusty. Load the van and trailer and get ready for sunday.
20171006_143639.jpg
20171006_143336.jpg
20171006_143951.jpg
20171006_182804.jpg

Pauleds

ClioSport Club Member
  Merc Dueliner sport
It was great fun apart from me doing an extra lap by mistake on stage 2 we set some competitive times. Then at the end of stage 10 the long drive shaft let go and took out the outboard shaft on the gearbox. Game over. Gutted.
IMG-20171008-WA0022.jpg

shiftspark

ClioSport Club Member
  R53 GR86
Not the best way to finish off your time with the Cup I pressume the box needs stripping to replace the shaft ?

Pauleds

ClioSport Club Member
  Merc Dueliner sport
Diff was working fine, some serious loading going onto the shafts when it dried out and hitting the kerbs stressed them more resulting in the inner cv on the long shaft pulling out a bit and side loading onto the gearbox out drive shaft snapping it off.
Full rebuild required.

Audi rs3/Clio 172cup
Looked like you was going well today mate. I did come and have a nose round your car but you weren't around

dan's cast offs.
Not a fan then ? I think all the issues with breakages were fixed a few years back.

just a few bad experiences with them and also total screw up with their dog box 'kit' they did, that was a nightmare and caused bloody chaos and ended up with a gearbox builder with 50 years experience telling tom from gripper how s**t his stuff was, that was a comical phone call :wink: but to be fair the quality of the materials they used for it were an absolute joke to say the least!!

this was also after about 6 stages on the prom at new brighton, went in new for it.

IMAG1963.jpg

Pauleds

ClioSport Club Member
  Merc Dueliner sport
just a few bad experiences with them and also total screw up with their dog box 'kit' they did, that was a nightmare and caused bloody chaos and ended up with a gearbox builder with 50 years experience telling tom from gripper how s**t his stuff was, that was a comical phone call :wink: but to be fair the quality of the materials they used for it were an absolute joke to say the least!!

this was also after about 6 stages on the prom at new brighton, went in new for it.

View attachment 1339389
Yeah that bit destroyed itself but in all fairness it's done quite a few events now.
Will have to find the time to get the box out and get it sorted.

dan's cast offs.
Yeah that bit destroyed itself but in all fairness it's done quite a few events now.
Will have to find the time to get the box out and get it sorted.

the one in the pic was brand new from them, replaced one that sheared last time it was on an event!! shame as the diff themselves are good. the pinion shaft we got for the dog kit was so far off round that when you dropped 1st gear onto the bearing it wouldn't bloody turn!!!

Pauleds

ClioSport Club Member
  Merc Dueliner sport
Stages 1-4 I had medium hankooks on the front with a damp cut and soft michelin inters on the back
Then from 5 onwards I put some old medium dunlops on the front as any chance of a good result had gone after I accidentally did an extra lap so got a stage maximum. 3 sisters wrecks tyres so I just trashed them instead. If I was doing well I would have used medium Michelins on the front from stage 5 but saved them.

@Pauleds Going back in time on your posts! But I was rallying on the TSH stages this weekend and two things happened. A bunch of wheel studs sheared and I lost a wheel even after torquing to 110nm so which studs did you use and then secondly my driveshaft bust and seeing the same thing happened to you did you replace with standard? or get some uprated ones? if so where did you aquire said items! Cheers

Audi rs3/Clio 172cup
@Pauleds Going back in time on your posts! But I was rallying on the TSH stages this weekend and two things happened. A bunch of wheel studs sheared and I lost a wheel even after torquing to 110nm so which studs did you use and then secondly my driveshaft bust and seeing the same thing happened to you did you replace with standard? or get some uprated ones? if so where did you aquire said items! Cheers

Did you Loctite the studs with the high strength stuff?

Pauleds

ClioSport Club Member
  Merc Dueliner sport
The main reason my original studs sheared was because i didnt have the correct spigot rings in, but i replaced them with the A I Tech ones and copper coated nuts (not cheap).
As for the driveshafts, the one i broke was my own stupid fault at Weeton as i slid off into the undergrowth and I was still booting it as it came back onto the tarmac so as it gripped the drivers wheel it just snapped it. Replaced with standard.
The other time I thought it was the shaft gone, it was actually the output shaft of the Gripper diff snapping which was a fault with the diff which they have now changed the material spec to make sure it doesnt happen again. It will just have standard shafts back on it.
I have considered putting a 2 piece shaft onto the drivers side instead of the 1 piece cup shaft. Its still an option.

Twingo 1??

ClioSport Club Member
  Twingo 133 Cup,
Currently working my way through Clio rally car build threads. For inspiration for my build. Really enjoyed yours. You definitely need to do Mull once in your life! I have done it the last 2 years it has been run as a stage rally. Hope we get it back as life without Mull is boring!

Pauleds

ClioSport Club Member
  Merc Dueliner sport
As my Manx rally codriver lives on Mull it would have been great to do it with him but i didn't have the budget to do it when it was last run.
The car will be up for sale soon so its unlikely that I will ever be able to do it.