ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

172 Cup Stage Rally Car

mikekean

ClioSport Club Member
  996 C4S, 135i, E30x2
Saying that, the dampers are alright, I was just bottoming out the springs
View attachment 166718
I need to get a longer, harder spring for the front, and something different for the rear

Aren't they already 400Lb? i have the same on my rally car and find them slightly on the hard side but not overly stiff, i was thinking of dropping to 350lb but a much longer spring..

Pauleds

ClioSport Club Member
  Merc Dueliner sport
Aren't they already 400Lb? i have the same on my rally car and find them slightly on the hard side but not overly stiff, i was thinking of dropping to 350lb but a much longer spring..

Definitely longer at least, but it's still odd how they have softened up so much. Since being fitted I have wound them up 75mm and it still goes lower. Only got 25mm of adjustment thread left.

mikekean

ClioSport Club Member
  996 C4S, 135i, E30x2
Definitely longer at least, but it's still odd how they have softened up so much. Since being fitted I have wound them up 75mm and it still goes lower. Only got 25mm of adjustment thread left.
Yeah mine are wound up pretty high now too, i think they lower the car around 30-40mm on full height, because race car and all that. Might be worth investing in some decent springs like Eibach ones in the hope they wont settle as much, which should help avoid the coil bound issue.

Tomo3292

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 1.6 K4m
Busy afternoon after wasting a couple of hours trying to get the correct handbrake cables after the 1st set were too short but a trip to eurocarparts in Chester managed to get some.
Once back I fitted them, refitted the heat Shields, then fitted the rest of exhaust including fitting a powerflex bush into the rear hanger.
View attachment 153867
Whilst under the car, I looked at how to fit braided brake lines to the rear beam.
I used an existing hole in the floor for the bulkhead fitting and attached the line from the hydraulic handbrake.
View attachment 153868
Mounted a T piece in the middle of the beam and attached a hose up to the bulkhead fitting. Then made and fitted 2 hoses to go to each caliper and fitted with banjo bolts.
View attachment 153869
View attachment 153870
Just need to bolt on the front calipers and hoses and the braking system is complete.
Paul i have the exact same routing for the brake line but looking to do the same really replacing the copper for braided hoses.
Just wondering what brake fittings tou actually used and what sizes really' seen so many different versions. Any recommendations of companies?

Cheers

Pauleds

ClioSport Club Member
  Merc Dueliner sport
Paul i have the exact same routing for the brake line but looking to do the same really replacing the copper for braided hoses.
Just wondering what brake fittings tou actually used and what sizes really' seen so many different versions. Any recommendations of companies?

Cheers

I just used the stainless m10 x 1mm stuff from Demon Tweeks as it's just down the road from me.
You can probably get it cheaper on ebay or something just shopping around.

RS RIP
Had a couple of hours in the garage earlier and got a few jobs done.
Did the rear brake lines from the master cylinder to the bulkhead fitting and fitted the throttle cable as it's a lot easier to do before fitting the engine
View attachment 148464

Then I have dropped the engine and gearbox back in as my brother needs the engine crane tomorrow
View attachment 148465

Getting there slowly!

Paul, i'm looking at the first picture where the rear brake lines go into the bulkhead ; have you made a T-section from where only one line is going through the bulkhead towards the back ?
Standard setup has two lines going all the way to the back ?

Pauleds

ClioSport Club Member
  Merc Dueliner sport
Paul, i'm looking at the first picture where the rear brake lines go into the bulkhead ; have you made a T-section from where only one line is going through the bulkhead towards the back ?
Standard setup has two lines going all the way to the back ?

The rear lines come out of the m/c, to a T piece. Then a single line to a bulkhead fitting. From that to the bios valve, then hydraulic handbrake, to the rear of the car. Bulkhead fitting to a T piece on the rear beam then out to both rear calipers with banjo fittings.

Last edited:
  RS RIP
^ :up: looks tidy with the braided lines !

OEM setup has two lines going all the way back , correct ?
I'm asking because i have binned the rear axle compensator/bias valve , mounted two Ford Mondeo pressure regulators instead of it, and now have a tad bit too much braking pressure on the rears. It's almost right but quite scary in very fast curves; touching the brakes will make it spin.
Have now bought two adjustable valves that will reduce maximum around 60% , will be wanting to mount these under the hood somewhere nice and dry.
I'm NOT wanting to keep adjusting , just going to set them on maximum restriction all year round and then come MOT time will be setting them full open , so i have the (too) good brake effort again on the rears.

RS RIP
^^ and i bought two because of the diagonal split brake system which i want to keep intact.. so one for each rear line.
Something tells me however that this may be a nightmare to get synched , to get even balance/pressure on the two fronts and on the two rears i mean.

Pauleds

ClioSport Club Member
  Merc Dueliner sport
If you intend on doing that, just get a garage with a brake tester to help you set the balance.
Once it is equal, Mark the dials and then turn them the same amount each time for more or less rear bias.

Yes oem does have twin lines to the rear, but easier for me to use only 1 line to rear because of the hydraulic handbrake.

ian-speedy

ClioSport Club Member
  clio cup race car
On my rally car , I blocked one of the rear outlets on the master cylinder with a bleed nipple , and have one braided hose going to the rear , it goes through the bias adjuster , through the hydraulic handbrake , then to a tee piece going to both sides , once the valve is set , it brakes perfect.
Why do you want to run 2 pipes back ? that will be a pain to set up right , just run on pipe back , its a lot easier , I don't even open my valve MOT time , it works perfect to pass .

Pauleds

ClioSport Club Member
  Merc Dueliner sport
I did the Bleed valve thing on my old 205 rally cars, as all the port threads etc were equal, I just did the short length to a T piece on the clio as it was easy enough and had the bits while the engine was out.

RS RIP
When blocking off one of the rear ports on the MC ; does the one line back need to be a "thicker" one (greater/different diameter) ?

K_McDermott

ClioSport Club Member
  Megane 230 r26
Love this mate think I seen you at 3 sisters stages in it a while back.

Seen BCS on the bonnet, do you know Brandon? I service for him with the Darrian every now and then

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Pauleds

ClioSport Club Member
  Merc Dueliner sport
Yes I've known Brandon for years, I used to codrive for him too. Bcs on the bonnet as he lent me his van to go across to the IOM.
I did the Adgespeed stages rally in it this year.
If you went to sprints there, that would have been me my old car.
@K_McDermott

K_McDermott

ClioSport Club Member
  Megane 230 r26
Yes I've known Brandon for years, I used to codrive for him too. Bcs on the bonnet as he lent me his van to go across to the IOM.
I did the Adgespeed stages rally in it this year.
If you went to sprints there, that would have been me my old car.
@K_McDermott

Ahh nice one mate, small world, hopefully I'll see you at an event in the future love to see the little clios flying round showing up the big boys lol [emoji108]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Pauleds

ClioSport Club Member
  Merc Dueliner sport
I didn't have a good seeding that day so got held up a bit by a mini on the merges, would have probably got 2nd in class instead of 4th as I was only 4 seconds off.
I should sell the car now really as ive ticked the manx box which was my plan but fancy doing something else so we shall see. It's tucked up in bed for now.

shiftspark

ClioSport Club Member
  R53 GR86
Think its a gripper on Pauls, definitely the best one to fit for competition esp with a shorter fd.

Pauleds

ClioSport Club Member
  Merc Dueliner sport
I need to change the roll cage now so I will sort all that first.
Wife still wants me to sell it but I would like to do Wigan again as they are fun rallies but if I can sort a budget, I would really love to do the Tour of Mull in October.
We shall see.

Pauleds

ClioSport Club Member
  Merc Dueliner sport
Ever get that feeling of Deja Vu?
Here we go again........
20170814_133653.jpg

Audi rs3/Clio 172cup
Just been reading through this now having a look at ideas I can steel for my rally car build and I see you're from Wrexham as well

Audi rs3/Clio 172cup
Save yourself the time and just buy my car!
I only ready had a msa log booked rolling shell. But deceided to sell it and build my own.

How much do you want? Mines almost finished now though. Just need the cut off wiring up and the tank guard fitting

Pauleds

ClioSport Club Member
  Merc Dueliner sport
Once the new SD cage is fitted which I am doing right now I will hopefully be doing a rally at Wigan then its up for sale for £8k (cost a lot more than that to build it)

shiftspark

ClioSport Club Member
  R53 GR86
Once the new SD cage is fitted which I am doing right now I will hopefully be doing a rally at Wigan then its up for sale for £8k (cost a lot more than that to build it)

What dates that Paul ? I will call in if I am free.

Tomo3292

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 1.6 K4m
Busy afternoon after wasting a couple of hours trying to get the correct handbrake cables after the 1st set were too short but a trip to eurocarparts in Chester managed to get some.
Once back I fitted them, refitted the heat Shields, then fitted the rest of exhaust including fitting a powerflex bush into the rear hanger.
View attachment 153867
Whilst under the car, I looked at how to fit braided brake lines to the rear beam.
I used an existing hole in the floor for the bulkhead fitting and attached the line from the hydraulic handbrake.
View attachment 153868
Mounted a T piece in the middle of the beam and attached a hose up to the bulkhead fitting. Then made and fitted 2 hoses to go to each caliper and fitted with banjo bolts.
View attachment 153869
View attachment 153870
Just need to bolt on the front calipers and hoses and the braking system is complete.
@Pauleds What size braided fittings did you use? couldn't write a quick parts list could you.
im a bit confused as what sizes to use from the master cylinder and hydraulic handbrake. cheers mate

Pauleds

ClioSport Club Member
  Merc Dueliner sport
@shiftspark I will be there on Sunday, I just need to finish profiling the dash round the new cage and bolt seats etc back in.
Seeded entry isn't up yet as entry doesn't close until tomorrow but there's an unseeded entry list on the wigan motor club site.