ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

172 Cup; Start -> Now

Mini JCW
Thought it was about time I made a quick thread about the progress on my 172 cup.

I started looking for 172 Cups earlier this year and after a few weeks of looking, spotted an 03 plate on 27k, not too far away from me. I went to veiw it, decided there and then I wanted it, and a week later it was sitting on my driveway :D :

S1050324.gif

S1050342.gif

S1050315.gif

S1050319.gif

S1050357.gif

I said to myself that I would keep it totally standard, but that idea didn't last long :rolleyes:

First addition were silvervision rear indicators and diadem fronts, followed by a small CYC order for 'detailing' gear :

S1050512.gif

By this time I also attended my first CS meet in matlock, a great turnout which further fuelled my desire to add a few mods (I was aiming for the OEM + look)

So first up, the awful chrome aerial was replaced with the standard version and the 6 x 9 parcel shelf was replaced with an oem one. Also, a Piper cat back 2.5" ID system was installed, with 3" outwardly rolled tip, with the recess cut in my me and my dad :

S1050382.gif

S1050381.gif

S1050383.gif

I also met up with Pepsi and took a few snaps of the Cup and his old 182 (minter) :

S1050425.gif

S1050439.gif

S1050429.gif

Next up, I wasn't happy with the stance and so decided to order some KW V1 coilovers, from Kam Racing :

Photo0224.gif

Mini JCW
Next up, some new HT leads and spark plugs were added, along with an Oil change (silkolene 5w40) and a cambelt change courtesy of Birchdown

S1050454.gif

and a few first snaps with coilovers installed after another Matlock CS meet :

S1050458.gif

S1050448.gif

S1050446.gif

Photo0232.gif

(Note - Coilovers were installed courtesy of Pepsi and Gray Motorsport ;))

Photo0229.gif

Photo0230.gif

With the few mods it was running, it was time for the FCS, which happened to be a great day, and again a few snaps from the convoy and at the show itself on CS stand :

guy1.gif

convoy.gif

IMG_6776.gif

IMG_6778.gif

After this, things went quiet for a month or so, I just kept up on the paintwork maintenance.

Then I had the use of a Nikon D60 for a short while so some arty farty shots were needed :

Profile7.gif

Profile8.gif

Profile6.gif

Profile4.gif

Profile1.gif

Again things were quiet for a few weeks, I just enjoyed driving it really, but then a slow day resulted in this :

Photo0255.gif

Photo0261.gif

Photo0256.gif

S1050534.gif

This was followed by a k-tec silenced decat and RStuner Group N remap and a poor choice of painting the inlet mani black, with a brush too:dapprove:

Photo0262.gif

Mini JCW
This was then followed by an order to fancyplates.co.uk for a clean standard read plate and 3/4 size clean front plate (no dealer stickers etc)

Photo0265.gif

S1050535.gif

(The exhaust as a new rear mount PLUS a 19mm socket keeping it in the correct position lol)

Next up, I wasn't happy with the standard audio in the car, so replaced the Headunit with an Alpine 9887r Headunit (2nd hand off talkaudio for £190!) :

DSC_0015.gif

And some Focal 130 CA Access components (supplied and installed by MTaudio)

before :

Photo0266.gif

after :

Photo0267.gif

Photo0268.gif

Much MUCH better audio quality, leaps and bounds above the pap standard stuff Renault supply!

I also decided to detint the rear windows and add a smaller C2 aerial. so as of a few weeks ago this is how it looks :

Photo0269.gif

I thought that was it, but then I decided to buy one of these :

Photo0276.gif

Supplies by Ktec and installed by Gray Motorsport which resulted in this a few days back :

S1050549.gif

S1050551.gif

S1050554.gif

It sounds so much better and pulls better at 5k plus too :D (It will be remapped at RStuning in leeds soon enough though). But as Gray will testify, it isn't a 20 minute job as some people claim, lol.

Also added was a Momo Nero Steering wheel (as the standard one was melting)

Photo0274.gif

Photo0275.gif

(the shiny plastic centre section will be removed ASAP too)

Much much better then the standard wheel, a little smaller and makes a difference to the driving experience :)

Also last but not least, I collected these today :

S1050558.gif

S1050560.gif

S1050559.gif

The 320 mile round trip to essex was worth it, was these Carbon Fibre backed seats were, including subframes, bought for the bargain price of £350 :)

And thats it up to date, I will add more photos once the seats are installed:)

Cheers

Anthony

RichCup

ClioSport Club Member
Come on a long way! :approve:

Just needs the plenhum re-painting IMO, spoils it!

172 cup
Looking good,

shame the cup door badges have been removed, kinda looks naked without them for some reason IMO.

Keep having to resist the urge to change bits on mine as I already have a project on the go and it's the daily driver so just keeping it tidy for now

Mini JCW
Cheers for the comments :)

I couldn't say if the seats are comfy as i've only sat in them in my bedroom so far:eek:

Chris205

ClioSport Club Member
  Many Things
nice choice of mods, will be following this closely

How did you find the rs tuner map along with the de-cat?

TTRS & V50
Great progress. As I was reading through the thread, I was waiting for the part you removed the rear tints, thank god you did, lol.

Mini JCW
for someone that was going to keep it standard you have spent some money on it

:eek:

nice choice of mods, will be following this closely

How did you find the rs tuner map along with the de-cat?

Cheers :)

There wasn't a massive improvment from either mod tbh, but it revs a lot more freely and lower down the rev range it made a noticeable difference (imo).

Great progress. As I was reading through the thread, I was waiting for the part you removed the rear tints, thank god you did, lol.

Cheers mate, yeah the tints had to go tbh and I think I made the right choice:approve:

very nice mate...

Future plans?

Cheers!

Future plans atm are :

- Install seats
- RSTuner remap in leeds and RR
- Wheel refurb (was going to go anthracite but i'm sticking with silver now)
- Respray the 2.0 16v badges silver
- Powdercoat the inlet manifold
- RS mats to replace the pikey ones i currently have:eek:

Thats about it tbh.

ipodsandguns

ClioSport Club Member
  GW X200 CUP
He crashed last night, im not informed enough to feel i can tell you more then i believe he is fine.

Mini JCW
Just to confirm the clios likely a writeoff, so I guess this thread can be closed.

Cheers for the headsup ipods.

Nissan 350z
Oh f**k i use that road all the time living in Spondon as i do.

Which bit along it caught you out. Details man, details!

Mini JCW
Oh f**k i use that road all the time living in Spondon as i do.

Which bit along it caught you out. Details man, details!

It was the sweeping bend at locko park itself, where all the cars are normally parked.

Lift off oversteer and muds a f*cker tbh.

damn man, was a lovely cup mate!! hope your alright!

Cheers dude.

Yeah it was coming along nicely.

Nissan 350z
Yeah i know the bit. Tricky corner to gauge as its on a slope as well. The road surface is also fucked there from wear and tear. I normally travel that road @ 50mph and take that bend @ 40mph for those reasons.

Crap Gex i bet your gutted. Only 3 days after posting this topic as well!

So whats next on the cards. Are you stripping this down to fit another Clio out or are you moving on?

Mini JCW
Yeah i know the bit. Tricky corner to gauge as its on a slope as well. The road surface is also f**ked there from wear and tear. I normally travel that road @ 50mph and take that bend @ 40mph for those reasons.

Crap Gex i bet your gutted. Only 3 days after posting this topic as well!

So whats next on the cards. Are you stripping this down to fit another Clio out or are you moving on?

Aye, s**t happens though dude.

Gaz_

ClioSport Club Member
  Extreme mode
doesnt look that bad?

wing, door, bonnet, bumper headlight?

Roof and rear quarter ok?

Mini JCW
doesnt look that bad?

wing, door, bonnet, bumper headlight?

Roof and rear quarter ok?

Looking at it again today i'm bit more hopeful it may not yet be written off...

Damage as far as I can see is :

Front Bumper - A few holes where posts battered it but still in one peice

Passenger headlight - A few cracks

Passenger door - Doesn't align with the roof 100% and is quite badly dented

Passenger Arch - Smashed to f*ck tbh

Inner metal arch (near engine bay), badly mangled and has mangled up the fuse boxes also - no other damage in the engine bay though.

Plastic wheel arches both sides ripped off.

Tracking is way out so i'd assume track rod ends / wishbones?

Sump etc seems intact and that seems to be most of the damage?

Will just have to wait and see what they say I guess.

Marky_

ClioSport Club Member
F*cking hell Ant, that's a mess!

Only just spotted your thread and that is the last thing i was expecting.
Glad you're alright mate.

Mini JCW
F*cking hell Ant, that's a mess!

Only just spotted your thread and that is the last thing i was expecting.
Glad you're alright mate.

Cheers dude.

Yeah its a bit gutting, I will just have to wait and see what the assessors say when they finally get around to retrieving it off my driveway:rolleyes:

Mini JCW
Just to update - it looks like the cars now a writeoff. I'm just awaiting the assessors providing a report to my insurance company.