ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

172 Cup Toy

172 Cup
Hello All,

So thought i would finally get a thread up now some real progress has happened.

So after selling my last project car and Civic road car i brought this

IMG_7941.jpg

03 plate 172 cup with 43000 miles on it. Simple mods, k-tech exhaust and some cheap lowering springs. Had service history and had the cam belt done recently(thought that was good until found it was done by fools but will come to that later)

So i had brought this as an everyday car whilst sorting out money issues, which were sorted out alot quicker then expected so i decided to use this as the next track toy.

So after driving it around a little i realised i had to do something about the driving position(idiot french designers), the seats were too high, steering wheel badly positioned so i did some purchasing

Photo-0006.jpg

Photo-0011.jpg

Cobra Imola 2, Schroth Profi III ASM drivers harness(cheap crappy passenger harness off a mate) then a OMP Corsica steering wheel.

Also stripped all trim from the rear then all carpet and sound deading
Photo-0004.jpg

Photo-0004.jpg

PICT2966.jpg

PICT2967.jpg

Rather large weight saving of about 30kg.

Still have front door cards and roof lining. Front door cards will be changed for carbon ones once i actualy find some descent ones that dont cost some stupid price. Then head lining will come out once i get the interior sprayed as it looks shite under there at the moment.

Next up was the suspension. After looking around for a while and speaking to a number of people i decided on KW V2 Coilovers
3.jpg

bb8088e4.jpg

4.jpg

Next were the topmounts, seeming the standards love to move around and feel so bad they had to go. So brought these
PICT2978.jpg

Compbrake units, got to say compbrake have done a fairly good job for once. Then a couple days later K-tech realised there new ones so i am waiting for compbrake to do there normal thing and break and i will replace for them.

So wanting to get on track soon i brought a set of Speedline 2118's then a set of Toyo R888's to go on them
IMG_0232.jpg

IMG_0233.jpg

IMG_0231.jpg

I knew i need to get the brakes sorted as they were runing Brembo HC disc(brilliant) then EBC greenstuff pads(the worst pieces of s**t i have ever driven on) and pretty worn rear discs and pads. But then FCS came around so i thought a 20minute session couldnt do any harm, we wasnt i wrong, baring in mind it had Castrol super DOT 4 brake fluid the fluid boiled in about 10 minute and the pads kind of melted.
1.jpg

nice bubbly shiney pads!

But it was still a good outing and the car did very well until i got back in the pits where the clutch decided not to work.
6.jpg

So once that was over i started to notice a few issues with the engine and the clutch was never the same really so i started with the intention of just sorting he little issues and be done with it. Then a 182 manifold popped up at a brilliant price so i snapped it up. Then it slowly grew into a bigger list of things i wanted to do so in the end i gave Fred a ring, so a long story short this is what i had done

Catcam 428's
cam seals and all the little extra bits
182 manifold fitted with all new fitting kit and nuts
joining pipe from manifold to my 172 exhaust(also having a 182 altered to fit for MOT)
AWT Matched Inlets
crank seals
sump seal
Cam/Aux belt kit
New plugs
Valeo Clutch

Then all finished off with a RS Tuning Remap.
In the process Fred cleaned and painted all my engine and inlet and it really looks a new engine.
DSC_0036-1.jpg

So in the end it made 190bhp and 160FtLb Torque.

I need to make a point here about Fred(BTM Performance) the work he has done is brilliant, he kept me up to date will all the progress, the car runs brilliantly and the quality of the work is second to none. HIGHLY recommend.

So now it is back its from Fred i got around to sorting the brakes.
Pagid RS4-2Blue front pads
Keeping the brembo HC grooved discs
K-tech rear discs
EBC Ultimax Rear Pads
Exact Braided Lines
AP Racing DOT 5.1 Fluid

PICT2985.jpg

PICT2988.jpg

10.jpg

So that is very thing up to the present, off to Nurburgring in a couple of weeks so will keep updated towards then and a review of the trip

Lionel Richie
oh by the way, i've heard through the grapevine that those exact brake lines are far from it, apparently they don't fit properly, just a word of warning fella!

maynard

ClioSport Club Member
  ph2 172 track car
looking real good there mate! how do you find the performance from standard compared to the cams/inlets etc?

172 Cup
oh by the way, i've heard through the grapevine that those exact brake lines are far from it, apparently they don't fit properly, just a word of warning fella!

Yea there not the best bits of kit really, they are all fitted and are ok now but the connections where twice the size of the holes they were suppose to go through. Nothing some grinding stones couldnt sort out though.

172 Cup
Right so it has been a while since i have updated on here at all.

Not a massive amount has happened progress wise since the main post but a few bits here and there but have sorted out what is happening going forward.

Well back in August me and a group of mates went over to the Nurburgring. Was a brilliant trip and the car was faultless. Was the best test bed for the car, managed to see where it can be improved for next year.

Heres a link to the photos from the trip
http://s585.photobucket.com/albums/ss298/AronWright/

So here is how the car stands at the moment
241_4115.jpg

241_4127.jpg

241_4129.jpg

Unforently with how busy i have been the car hasnt had the most attention and the engine bay is looking a little dirty and needs some TLC. But to treat the bay i have brought some nice tasty bolts/nuts so will give it a good clean and fit these when they arrive.

Next up is the interior. Do have a new drivers seat but the passenger seat is just back to a standard for a little while. The rest again is looking sorry for itself.
241_4118.jpg

241_4124.jpg

But with this i will be stripping eveything out and respraying everything. exchange all the nuts/bolts for some nice fancy ones.

So going forward i will be building some new parts until Jan time, spend Feb fitting and sorting ready for its first track day of the year in March.

Plenty R888's ready
241_4132.jpg

So plans,
carbon front door cards
repaint interior
Oil cooler
Gearbox cooler
Braided brake lines throughout with bias
280/285mm 4pot front brakes
take rear beam off
clean up and repaint underboot floor/beam
get a whiteline rear arb
replace rear wheel bearings
camber shims
maybe replace beam bushes

so i will keep you all updated as i go.

love and peace!

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
I like you. You're very Matter of fact and straight to the point.

Your car looks very very good too.

Golf GTD Mk7
Gearbox cooler? not heard of that being done before. Nice project mate. Obviously got deap pockets ;). How many tyres you need btw.lol. Holding the roof up? ;)

172 Cup
pagids are brilliant. very impressed, do need a little heat in to start working well then when there at a descent tempertaure they are brilliant aslong as you use at least 5.1 fluid as it boils 4 very quickly.

to be honest verything i have on the car now i carnt fault all been very good. the rear k-tec brake discs are good but the bearings in them are awfull.

yea i have seen gearbox coolers around then after talking to Fred a couple months back he was talking about them. anything to keep turning working better and longer.

two full sets or tyres on the 2118's are near new then 2 spares that are near new and tyre that are barely legal but will stil take a bit more abuse on track.

Barge
Loive the yellow rim on the turinis, it works really well with the blue. Have you taken it off? :dapprove:

Looks sweet.

172 Cup
i had mixed feelings about the lip and in the end i thought all it is there for is attention which i dont really care about. cars built to perform and have style in the right ways and fancy trims on the wheels is not the way.

RichCup

ClioSport Club Member
Very nice! Think you popped up to the nuneaton meet a few months back? Never seen you around Nuneaton tho!

Plans sound spot on!

172 Cup
Yea i showed my face for that big midlands meet.
Yea i am always round and about, usually camp hill at me garage unit though

172 Cup
Just about mate. it should be back to you in the new year Fred for some bits of fun that i really dont want to fit on the floor my garage :D

those beautiful inlet manifolds are getting some nice race titium soon aswell;)

Golf GTD Mk7
Just about mate. it should be back to you in the new year Fred for some bits of fun that i really dont want to fit on the floor my garage :D

those beautiful inlet manifolds are getting some nice race titium soon aswell;)

Do tell ;)

maynard

ClioSport Club Member
  ph2 172 track car
excellent update, car is coming along really well! hope to see you on a track some time in the new year :)

172 Cup
youll have to wait and see Jonny. lets just say it physicaly hurt clicking submit to buy when is £5.36 a bolt. why do i do these kind of things!

172 Cup
Wooo the bolts have finaly arrived(stupid postal strike) and i also got all the paint together ready to respray my interior. pics to follow tonight

172 Cup
UPDATE

Ok i have finaly got round to doing any update.

So i have finished respraying my interior. Really pleased with how it has turned out. I have rerouted the wiring in the rear now so its all hidden away. Looks so much better. Been busy this week though so getting pictures has totaly slipped my mind about that. Will get some tomorrow.

OK so i finaly have the pictures of all the bolts i brought. And yes most people will not care "its just a bolt" you will be thinking but little bits like that make it just look a different for me so keeps me happy.

241_4156.jpg

hhhmmmm "Race spec" drilled Titiuam
241_4160.jpg

242_4221.jpg

241_4169.jpg

241_4178.jpg

242_4223.jpg

242_4218.jpg

Next got this delievered the other day and got it fitted
242_4215.jpg

242_4227.jpg

242_4228.jpg

Put on the softer setting at the moment just to make sure everything is OK but can already feel a difference. Helped more so seeming there is no weight in the back so tightened it all a little.

A bad point now though :dapprove:

I broke me splitter :dapprove:

Went to park in the same place as i always do at me mates but due to all the rain the grass has sunk so as i pulled onto it the splitter caught and took a chunk out the side of it.

O well looks like i am buying a Carbon version....hhhhmmmm carbon.

Well tomorrow i am poping over to Freds so i am sure i will be walking away with a nice spending list. One thing i will defiently be sorting with him tomorrow.

Marky_

ClioSport Club Member
Nice project! Liking your attention to detail.

Still waiting for the top mounts to break?