ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

172 Cup Track/Fast Road car.

Cup In bits
No wonder I can't reach my gear stick properly! I have one of them b&m quick shift things on my ph1. Even though I'm 6'5 my arms aren't long enough to reach it properly when sitting back properly. I wonder if there is a solution to make it longer? I assume its one solid piece so I can't just swap the top bit?

You want the yanoo 'fast road shifter' about 35mm longer than the original and then you cut down the selector pin and it brings the gearstick back anything from 0"-4". You can do this mod without even buying the different gearstick.

Keep an eye on the Pure Motorsport website over the next few weeks ;)

So cryptic, do tell???

Honestly mate I can't say any more than that - probably shouldn't even say that

I know some lads working with Nick at PMS on something that I already have cash put to one side to buy - I'm that excited
Just keep an eye on their website/blog ;)

Excellent, will keep an eye out. Im in two minds to cut the gear selector down or to relocate the whole gear shift. Only concern about either is the gear stick hitting the side of the bucket seat in 4th gear as it looks tight.

Cup In bits
Yeah I have been, they have an equal length manifold in testing just now too.

Yep the bodge fixes all suck

You have clearly never tried it or know whats involved, its far from a bodge. Remove one nut, slide off linkage, trim selector and refit. It makes the gear change so much better and I would recommend any Clio owner to do it.

Sonny I can't see it being much problem, my seats are some of the biggest going and its no where near them, I'm guessing your not 4'6" though. The beauty of doing so is that it can be adjusted to suit you.

edit: you can only shift the whole gear stick back about 25mm with James's method without serious cutting going on due to a brace that's in the exhaust tunnel. You can put it behind that but again as james realised its too far back.

Last edited:
  182cup & 172 racecar
No wonder I can't reach my gear stick properly! I have one of them b&m quick shift things on my ph1. Even though I'm 6'5 my arms aren't long enough to reach it properly when sitting back properly. I wonder if there is a solution to make it longer? I assume its one solid piece so I can't just swap the top bit?

Have you tried cutting the selector at gearbox end. This moves everything forward, so moves the gearstick backwards, that's what we did, and it works very well, low cost and just a 13mm spanner and a hacksaw req'd.

Cup In bits
Have you tried cutting the selector at gearbox end. This moves everything forward, so moves the gearstick backwards, that's what we did, and it works very well, low cost and just a 13mm spanner and a hacksaw req'd.

Is there an echo in here ;)

PMS are doing a similar cable selector kit to what the Peugoets use. Looks a good solution to the current poor gearshift location.

I guess it's not much of a secret then LOL

They're not doing a cable selector - it uses a long rod.

Satchshift they call it on a 106 as it's designed by Satchell Engineering.
All the 106 race lads use them and they are SUPERB. My mate has one in his turbo 106 and I'm very jealous

Puts the gear stick right next to the steering wheel!

shifterhoses004.jpg

I can't wait!!!!

I guess it's not much of a secret then LOL

They're not doing a cable selector - it uses a long rod.

Satchshift they call it on a 106 as it's designed by Satchell Engineering.
All the 106 race lads use them and they are SUPERB. My mate has one in his turbo 106 and I'm very jealous

Puts the gear stick right next to the steering wheel!

shifterhoses004.jpg

I can't wait!!!!

Lol nah not much of secret at all. I heard about it a while ago but didn't know everything about it hence not knowing the finer details. If I keep my Clio this will be a product ill be getting.

​Nick

Cup In bits
Yeah seen them before, colin satchel is a reasonble fabricator lol.

Are you sure its a rod, puegot selector is on top of box Clio is on the bottom, you would need some arrangement of shafts to do similar. Cable sounds more viable.

Yeah I was going to drop Nick a message to see if they'd considered making one as the gear position on a clio is useless. But then talking to the guys at Satchell Engineering they said they were already working with Nick on one and it'd be out in a few weeks

It's literally one of those cases where I don't care how much it costs I NEED that in my car. Ever time I drive my mates 106 it's so good it makes me want to go back to having a 106 lol

Yeah seen them before, colin satchel is a reasonble fabricator lol.

Are you sure its a rod, puegot selector is on top of box Clio is on the bottom, you would need some arrangement of shafts to do similar. Cable sounds more viable.

Oh I'm making an assumption based on the 106 one - I'd assume easiest for a clio would be a rod on the bottom of the stick that just works the standard selector in the same way as the standard gear shift. But they could well have done it with cables.. I can't wait to find out :D

182cup & 172 racecar
I was going to say, it's more tricky on a Clio with the selector on the bottom. It would need lots of levers and pulley things to make that work.

Could just be more things to go wrong, but if it works,I'd like one.

​We looked at this when we built the a car with Matt, seemed alot of messing, so we gave up.

lmfao at the "whispers"

Satchell engineering are currently doing a lot of development work on the clio.. I cant say what, but trust me, its good.....

pure-motorsport

ClioSport Trader
  Clio 172
Yeah I was going to drop Nick a message to see if they'd considered making one as the gear position on a clio is useless. But then talking to the guys at Satchell Engineering they said they were already working with Nick on one and it'd be out in a few weeks

It's literally one of those cases where I don't care how much it costs I NEED that in my car. Ever time I drive my mates 106 it's so good it makes me want to go back to having a 106 lol

The first one we sell is going to be £2k and then we'll have a spring sale ;)

I was going to say, it's more tricky on a Clio with the selector on the bottom. It would need lots of levers and pulley things to make that work.

Could just be more things to go wrong, but if it works,I'd like one.

​We looked at this when we built the a car with Matt, seemed alot of messing, so we gave up.

This gear linkage has got to be the most difficult part we've ever developed - it was literally four days for two of us just to get a cobbled up prototype to work, but now it's very simple and feels like a rear drive box with no linkage there at all. Stick is right next to the steering wheel, nice and high up. The shift isn't shortened as that's the last thing you want on a synchro box like the Clio, but it is very, very precise. Hopefully should be ready very soon as we're just waiting on powder coating to be done.

The first one we sell is going to be £2k and then we'll have a spring sale ;)

This gear linkage has got to be the most difficult part we've ever developed - it was literally four days for two of us just to get a cobbled up prototype to work, but now it's very simple and feels like a rear drive box with no linkage there at all. Stick is right next to the steering wheel, nice and high up. The shift isn't shortened as that's the last thing you want on a synchro box like the Clio, but it is very, very precise. Hopefully should be ready very soon as we're just waiting on powder coating to be done.

Arrrhhhh my credit card just had a heart attack haha!

I literally can't wait. The gear system in the Clio is clearly designed for 5ft tall girls :(

RenaultSport 172
I did read about this somewhere on here. Could definitely give it a go but I still think the b&m shifter is too short. Wonder how much they are worth on the second hand market

RenaultSport 172
You want the yanoo 'fast road shifter' about 35mm longer than the original and then you cut down the selector pin and it brings the gearstick back anything from 0"-4". You can do this mod without even buying the different gearstick.

Just been reading about this fast road shifter. Sounds great, exactly what I need. However I just read he can't trade on cliosport. How on earth am I supposed to buy one? The website I saw doesn't seem to have a shop. Any idea how much they are also?

Ph2 Clio 172

​Is there an idiots guide anywhere on doing this?

182cup & 172 racecar
​Is there an idiots guide anywhere on doing this?

It's so simple, you wouldn't believe it. Just run a Sharpie Pen line down one side to assist lining it all up after.

​And don't cut too much off at once (you can't put it back). 5mm at a time then try it.

Cup In bits
Just been reading about this fast road shifter. Sounds great, exactly what I need. However I just read he can't trade on cliosport. How on earth am I supposed to buy one? The website I saw doesn't seem to have a shop. Any idea how much they are also?

PM Yanoo on here first like you have probably read already or use his website

http://www.dp-automotive.hu/dpa_developments.html

I would get rid of your b&m kit to begin with and replace it with standard as its longer and also do the linkage mod while your under there. It will be ten times better for reach than you have fitted just now. You might need to fit Yanoo's stiff shift to improve the feeling though or just get his complete fast road shifter fully built with new everything, no need to rebuild the standard stick with new bushes etc, just remove one circlip, slide out old gearstick and install new. That's what I have fitted along with selector mod.

Few pics showing that there isn't any real need to modify the exhaust tunnel unless your sitting on the rear bench.

First gear

P1000624.jpg

Second gear

P1000623.jpg

Ph2 Clio 172
It's so simple, you wouldn't believe it. Just run a Sharpie Pen line down one side to assist lining it all up after.

​And don't cut too much off at once (you can't put it back). 5mm at a time then try it.

I don't even know what I would be cutting. :(

Look under the car - there's a long rod from the bottom of the gear stick onto the selector arm on the gearbox

Draw a white line down it so that when you put it back on you can line it up properly, then undo the clamp, slide the rod off, cut 5mm off of it, slide it back on, line up the lines and tighten the clamp :)

RenaultSport 172
Skeeter, perhaps you could forward me the link also?

sorry Phil for dragging this off topic again but apparently I need some parts off the original gearstick to use the yanoo fast road shifter including the gear knob itself. Does anyone know if the ph1 and ph2 gearsticks are the same?

Right,

Did a bit of work on the car last week, took the carbon splitter off the front, cut out the fog light holes to let more air at the brakes, sold my quikshift.....
Then Wednesday had my first track session in nearly a year at Cadwell Park

Car was so much better than I expected. The new coilovers, new brakes, new camber setup, new spacers - all combined have found a ton of front end grip that wasn't there before.

My first ever session... bit timid/cautious and concerned about something catching (bumper on floor, wheels in arches, not sure yet)

Second and 3rd sessions I got quicker, seem to consistenly do 1:58/1:59 which I think in the wet with road tyres on is pretty good for my first attempt there!
3rd session I linked the little forest complex together quite well but then the wheels locked going into the hairpin, back end kicked out and nearly put the car sideways into the big hay bails... eeeek. Luckily only damage was the mirror got hit but another inch and I would have been trying to nock dents out of panels. So I calmed it down a bit from there lol

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes mate hahaha

Hit the brakes going into the hairpin, back end came out - bit of a close call.
3 of my mates have written cars off on that exact corner - it's a b**ch!