ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

172 Cup Track/Fast Road car.

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
Looks like a bit of a procession with so many people out on track and so few places to past, fair play to you though for the good etiquette letting people buy etc.

I can never understand the guys who are quicker on the straight and then hold everyone up on the corners. It's not a 1/4 mile lol

If someone is faster through a corner than me I just let em pass

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
I can never understand the guys who are quicker on the straight and then hold everyone up on the corners. It's not a 1/4 mile lol

If someone is faster through a corner than me I just let em pass

Agreed I try to do the same, if someone wasnt behind you a few corners ago, and they are now, then they are quicker irrelevant of the straight line pace, so move over and back off and let them by. Then follow them and you might learn something from their lines as to why they were quicker if its a similar car.

Clio 172
Not bad.
1:42 in the dry.

I managed a 1.55, reckon with bigger balls I could shave about 2-3 seconds easy off that. Beyond that need more skill and a faster car. Issue I have is the Barn and Park. I take both too cautiously and when I did hit Park l at the speed I felt I could I ended up going off and did a bit of grass tracking, I either turn into it too early or brake too much and lose all my carried speed through it. As for Barn just hate the off camber, drift to outside and no run off. I keep thinking I am about to go into the armco.

Last edited:
You can sort of see it here...

8a7d9d46bbf611e286b022000ae90285_7.jpg

Clio 172
I love the track but Barn scares the hell out of me, seen too many cars in only two days off there and I need to drive mine home afterwards.

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
Im looking forward to going and doing Cadwell and Oulton after I move up that way, you will have to show me the lines Phil and I will see if I can keep with you in my lardy road car with rear seats and a radio :)

Cup In bits
Going alright there Phil, needs treated to some new shoes now.

What's all the gauges you have? You said your tail came out at the hair pin, is that a hairpin coming down the mountain? Seems like a right hander in the videos, I bet it's skippy with all the overhanging trees and dropped sap.

Nah the hairpin is at the end of the wooded complex - you go up the mountain then swing through the right/left/right/left and theres a hairpin at the end
4 pots locked up as the track was really greasy from the tree sap and the back end swung round

Woke me up! lol

The gauges are wideband, oil pressure and oil temp :)

Im looking forward to going and doing Cadwell and Oulton after I move up that way, you will have to show me the lines Phil and I will see if I can keep with you in my lardy road car with rear seats and a radio :)

Haha I'm looking forward to having someone to play with
The lad I went with on Wednesday has a 500+bhp civic coupe in full race livery :|

Cup In bits
Nah the hairpin is at the end of the wooded complex - you go up the mountain then swing through the right/left/right/left and theres a hairpin at the end
4 pots locked up as the track was really greasy from the tree sap and the back end swung round

Woke me up! lol

The gauges are wideband, oil pressure and oil temp :)

Yeah that's where I mean , it just looks like a right hander where the bails are and then another right after. Just shows how deceptive videos are sometimes. It's firmly on the to do list in the next few years.

Clio 172
Yeah that's where I mean , it just looks like a right hander where the bails are and then another right after. Just shows how deceptive videos are sometimes. It's firmly on the to do list in the next few years.

The hairpin is a right hander then followed by an off camber right onto the start finish straight. I think they class the hairpin and the next bend all as 'barn'.

NorthloopCup

ClioSport Moderator
The noise you thought/think is/was the bumper catching is the front wheels on the bracket for the bumper phil. Could even be the tyre rubbing on the arch's. Mine does the same thing. Try raising your front suspension mate.

Chip - I don't know he's ever been there in the dry to do a fast lap mate.. I'll ask though

The noise you thought/think is/was the bumper catching is the front wheels on the bracket for the bumper phil. Could even be the tyre rubbing on the arch's. Mine does the same thing. Try raising your front suspension mate.

Hrmmm I did think that but I had a look at the tyres and couldn't see any marks on them at all - though the outside of them does look a bit scrubbed which is weird with -3 degrees of front camber lol

I raised the front 10mm before we went - I really didn't want to raise it any more because it looks awesome haha but I guess handling has to come before looks

NorthloopCup

ClioSport Moderator
Hrmmm I did think that but I had a look at the tyres and couldn't see any marks on them at all - though the outside of them does look a bit scrubbed which is weird with -3 degrees of front camber lol

I raised the front 10mm before we went - I really didn't want to raise it any more because it looks awesome haha but I guess handling has to come before looks

Having watched your videos again I'd comfortably say your noise is that bracket in the front arches. They don't mark the tyres either when they catch. Mine made the exact same noise.

How stiff did you have the fronts and rears set to as well out of interest?

At one point mine was that low the driveshafts were hitting the lip on the chassis leg. Looked good - drove w**k.

Fronts were on about 2/3rds and rears on about 3/4's

Yes - mine at some point has been hitting the chassis leg too lol
I still haven't had it back out the garage to look at the brackets yet - I'm gonna get it out this weekend and see if I can angle grind some stuff back
Probably raise it 10mm all round too try and get some suspension travel back out of it

My only criticism tbh of the KW V2's is I think if I went to R888's they would be way too soft. And I'm guessing I couldn't get stiffer springs fitted without sending them off the be re-valved or something.

Clio 172
It's odd as I ran V2's on my MKII golf and they were absolutly solid. It gripped the road and track like s**t ona blanket and I can honestly say they were not too soft. Seems strange that the Renault ones are so different and go virtually unrated by people.

NorthloopCup

ClioSport Moderator
Fronts were on about 2/3rds and rears on about 3/4's

Yes - mine at some point has been hitting the chassis leg too lol
I still haven't had it back out the garage to look at the brackets yet - I'm gonna get it out this weekend and see if I can angle grind some stuff back
Probably raise it 10mm all round too try and get some suspension travel back out of it

My only criticism tbh of the KW V2's is I think if I went to R888's they would be way too soft. And I'm guessing I couldn't get stiffer springs fitted without sending them off the be re-valved or something.

You can get away with putting stiffer front springs on without the need to revalve them, but the rears need to be revalved. That's why I had mine done as I felt they were to soft. Ideal for road but not so much for the track. But they are designed as that - a road setup.

I like mine how it is now as its a good compromise for the road and track.

Hrmm I wouldn't say they go unrated... I think they are 9000x better than the Bilsteins I had and short of AST's the best suspension setup I've felt on a Clio.

Northloop - have you fitted stiffer ones on the front of yours? I felt the back was absolutely fine you could slide it about all day but I think the front could do with being a bit stiffer

NorthloopCup

ClioSport Moderator
Northloop - have you fitted stiffer ones on the front of yours? I felt the back was absolutely fine you could slide it about all day but I think the front could do with being a bit stiffer

Gone slightly stiffer than standard on the fronts, but its significantly stiffer on the rears. I had the original kw springs tested and they're very soft. You run a white line rear arb as well don't you? Whereas I don't and never will.

Yeah I do but I'm not very keen on it

Crap design with the plate that sits behind the rear shock bolts - it keeps making my shock bolts work loose. And it went rusty like the day after I fitted it
Might try taking it off for my next track day but I remember the car being very understeery without it

Just found this
email 1:

"Dear KW customer,

thank you for your email and the information.
We recommend to use a 80-170* spring instead of 60-170* supplied with the kit.
The handling should improve a lot with this.

Please contact your local KW partner for ordering this spring.
Part number is 60110047.
Thank you and we wish you a lot of fun and success with the “new setup”.
"

email 2:

"Hello,

unfortunately, for the rear of this car, we do not offer harder springs.
After discussing with our motorsports department, they confirmed, that with new springs on front axle and the same springs on the rear (as they have been chosen to be quite “firm”), you should get a good result on handling.

Thank you."

Might chuck £120 at getting the 80n/mm springs later in the year - 60 seems VERY soft!

NorthloopCup

ClioSport Moderator
The fronts are 320lb so not that soft mate, but as said earlier they're designed as a road kit.

Strange about the understeery feel without the arb as mine doesn't feel like that at all.

Sir_Dave

ClioSport Trader
More understeer.

Essentially, the stiffer the rear is in relation to the front, the less understeer you will get. On a clio, soft front/hard rear is good, hence why Whitelines are so popular.

Ahh bonza - I'll keep the rear ARB on stiff setting then, raise the suspension 10mm all round and chop the bits off that are catching - then soften the front up to about half again.
It did grip well with the front set softer it was just rubbing on anything

I guess I need to stop going for lows that look cool - it's supposed to perform at the end of the day too lol
Unless I angle grind all the brackets out in the arches and put my front bumper on with aerocatches... hrmm lol