ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

172 cup traded in vs scenic - UPDATE

Titanium ph1 turbo
Right,

After much discussion and phone calls today, i've managed to renegotiate the deal to be as follows:-

my 172 cup 03 plate 24k miles, serviced etc.

-for-

scenic 1.4 authenique 53 plate with 7k miles, just serviced etc, plus 1yr left warranty + option to extend for £120 for a further year or so...

Trade in price for my clio is £7000, price for scenic is £8995, the difference being £2000 given on fiance at 4% flat rate (total cost £2400 over 5 years).

Need the bigger car for family now etc (baby) etc... comments please.

(ex-2.0 Hybrid)CorradoVR6
Ouch going from the 2.0 to the 1.4 is going to hurt badly! not a bad deal on the price though.

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
if the scenic hasn't got aircon, it won't be worth didly in a couple of years time.

Ad

MK2 FRS
Trade in price is good (Must be quite a bit of room in scenic price). Just couldnt cope with a 1.4+extra weight.

DONTTTTT DOOOOO ITTTTTTTTTT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!lol

If you can possibly afford a 1.6, avoid 1.4 scenics and meganes...the engine is weedy as hell. Nobody wants them and the resale value on it in a couple of years will be laughable.

Remapped derv Golf
My mum has a mk1 ph2 Scenic 1.6 sport (v reg) which is only worth about £3k now.

I wouldn't lay out alot of money on a Scenic tbh.

Also a 1.4 wouldn't move! I drove the 1.6 for over 2 years and it was dog slow.

Last edited:
  MKIII 138
you just like the funky gear stick i was tempted too.

good space and safety. dont listen to these peeps there not in the know.. ask me a question about the + points and what model to get

MKIII 138
ok i wont wait for you "what model" question ..

Belive it or not there is a 165bhp 2.0T model ! this is the laguna 2.0t engine pretty much the same as the Megane 225. A cheap remap will see 190bhp then your talking zafira GSI pace, uprated intercooler from ktec will fit. Just add a tastefull discreet cat back exhaust get them all remapped together an 205/210bhp should be within your reach just like the laguna GT.

then over time add some uprated ICE and some Elia styling parts maybe some new alloys and you have a v.quick funky car thats individual..

also the 2.0T isnt as high as grp 16 insurance due to weight and stock 165hp so not as bad to insure..

lastly try getting the satnav system or leather to go with climate or aircon

rattling around in the cup is great and so was the 172 but eventually with dog on the way and maybe kid in a few years i think it only fair to let my missus travel in piece so i may go for 205hp laguna gt (be about 7k by then lol !) or a scenic,

ladies love the man in the MPV shows your veritility and sensitivity lol lol something like that..

just some ideas.

2076975.pjpeg

2076961.pjpeg

Mate i have the 2.0 16v scenic in addition to my 172, think its about 140bhp, goes like stink and returns 32-34 per gallon. Have driven the 1.6 and that was so underpowered dread to think what the 1.4 is like, i have 2 daughters m8 and with all the kit onboard you will struggle with the 1.4, go 2.0 and get the goodies!

Titanium ph1 turbo
im taking it for a test drive tomorrow so i'll see what it's like. i'd love to get a bigger engine etc, but i can't afford it at the moment as i've taken a year out of work to do a masters.. ideally i wanted a like for like swap, but the best they could offer me was the old shape on on a 52 plate with 35k... i checked it out and didn't like it.. the new shape + interior is 1000x better, so i've managed to wangle a 2k loan to bridge the gap, i can't afford anything more unfortunately... 1.4 will have to do, besides once i get a job again this will become "her" car and i'll be free to go and get that 225 trophy ;)

S

swisstom182

Take it from me mate, i sell these things all day long and i must say that the 1.4 Authentique is a really poor choice, in 2/3 years time you will get kicked in the nuts on the px price they really are the kiss of death.

If you can opt for a 1.6 expression or dynamique, you should find an expresion which has following over authentique: A/C, CD, Auto Closure, Auto lights and wipers, Front Fogs, Auto handbrake, Rear Sun blinds,

The difference in cost should be no more than £500, the reason they are offering you a stonking price on the Cup is that they would rather your cup on the forecourt over there Billy basic Scenic. Seriously mate, i have been selling Renault for over 3 years, avoid it like the plague.

Elise/VX220/R26
the extra seats in the scenic must cume in handy ;) Madness trading a cup in IMO why do people get this 4x4/mpv mentality just beacuse they have kids? I would keep the cup and spend 2 grand on the kids. That way they get an xbox 360 for christmas and have the coolest dad in playschool.

S

swisstom182

My thought exactly mate, keep the cup, buy an older Scenic for a couple of grand, that way the missus is off your back and you ikeep ya Cup

RenaultSport clio 18
Take the chance tis my advice. I have an '02 dynamique (1.8) fuel consumption is worse than my 182! but the kit thrown in is cannot be faulted. Don't trade in an then shell out extra for something you won't be happy with. better to compromise in the short term. My scenic is a family bus!

RenaultSport clio 18
Take the chance to rethink your views on the older model is what I meant to say. There must be some bargains out there!

Titanium ph1 turbo
swisstom182 said:
Take it from me mate, i sell these things all day long and i must say that the 1.4 Authentique is a really poor choice, in 2/3 years time you will get kicked in the nuts on the px price they really are the kiss of death.

If you can opt for a 1.6 expression or dynamique, you should find an expresion which has following over authentique: A/C, CD, Auto Closure, Auto lights and wipers, Front Fogs, Auto handbrake, Rear Sun blinds,

The difference in cost should be no more than £500, the reason they are offering you a stonking price on the Cup is that they would rather your cup on the forecourt over there Billy basic Scenic. Seriously mate, i have been selling Renault for over 3 years, avoid it like the plague.

Thats a good valid argument I guess.. the problem I have is, yes, I would like a dynamique or something with more gadgets, but I really don't have any extra cash.. to pay £2000 to get a car 1 year newer than my cup which does the job I need it to is very attractive, esp. the fact it only has 9k on the clock and has AC. The other gadgets such as auto handbrake, front fogs, auto lights.. I can live without for the sake of shelling out the extra cash really.. I guess it's down to personal choice but the way I see it is i'm getting a deal I can't ignore, even though deep down i'd prefer a 1.6 dynamique it's just not an option for me at this point in my life. :(

Why settle for an MPV? there a quite a few cars for £9000 that will entertain and ferry the family around,

Skoda Octavia VRS Estate
Audi A4 Avant 1.8T Quattro Sport
Honda Accord Type R
MG ZT190
SAAB 9-5 2.3HOT Aero

To name a few, ok they may be slightly older and with slightly higher mileage, but thats why the ones suggested have good repuation for reliability and build. I went from a Clio 172 to Audi 1.8 T Avant Quattro to currently bmw325i sport and i have 19 month old twins.

I have a clio 172 and have a child (he is 3). I have no problems at all with space etc. We are expecting another the end of April and have no plan about changing the car (well I don't the mrs may have a different idea)

MKIII 138
Mark_Petty said:
I have a clio 172 and have a child (he is 3). I have no problems at all with space etc. We are expecting another the end of April and have no plan about changing the car (well I don't the mrs may have a different idea)

fair point the back seats are really quite fine for kids and just not for tall adults however there is only one isofix seatbelt in the back for proper kids safety and the rear roof of the clio seems to fold in quite easliy in a crash compared with the strong front driver,passenger area i think the 172/182 is really a two seater in the most part.

like the guy said, why not pick up an older audi, may not be that quick and poor steering etc.. but for image build and tuning potencial + safety there hard to fault especially with Caractere`s bodykit range for the A4 makes them look better than the RS4 of the same age.

MKIII 138
... caractere kit + superleg`s stlye wheels

A4_TW_01.jpg

pickup the 8e model for peanuts considering there build,spec features image etc.. just fit a kit like this for added "bling" lol

thats just a 1.8T

Mondeo STTDCI
JonC said:
Why settle for an MPV? there a quite a few cars for £9000 that will entertain and ferry the family around,

Skoda Octavia VRS Estate

Im LOVING VRS at the minute.

Titanium ph1 turbo
deal completed today...

my cups going end of the week, got 7k trade in for it... went for a testdrive today in the scenic and the missus loves it. All in all it's a good deal I feel, people have been saying spend a few grand on another car, but then that means twice as much insurance, twice as much tax, twice as much upkeep etc.. not feasable given the fact my misses doesnt work now due to having a newborn baby, and im having a year out studying with no income!... maybe once I get a job I'll get that megane 225, I think thats the next on my "want list".

Ad

MK2 FRS
Agree with you on the running costs etc!
Would be a big shock for me personally, but suppose thats why I aint got a new born!!