ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

172 FF INTO 3RD GEAR - Keep up with what ? ? ?

Dunno if this is right section or not :/

Any ideas what car(s) the 172ff will be able to keep up with once i go into third gear on the way to my top end ?

VXR's
RS Turbo's
VW/SEAT/AUDI Tdi's, Turbo's (Unsure if they'd kill me due to torque in them)
Cupra's
Mini Cooper S's

I know the CTR is a no no as it pulls ahead then :( , as clio runs outta go against it :(

Is there any Type R's i will keep up with ?

E.g. Old Civic Type R (Import only one, same style as Vti)

Old style Integra type R (R plates etc)

It would be just nice to know as i don't want to make an arse of myself ;)

Sorry to bore yous guys with this post i'm just curious. :)

Last edited:
You can try it with anything after all they might have a problem bodged gear change and can win.

Why do you have such an issue about loosing?

impreza p1
my mates got a 55plate civic type r and were evens upto 130 then he starts pulling ahead

C-VXR, T8 Map 220BHP
my mates got a 55plate civic type r and were evens upto 130 then he starts pulling ahead

had a 0-100 with 03 CTR and it didnt pull away. I was Quicker from 40-60' as pull away about 1/2 cars length then he crept back up. he didnt smeg a gear change too!

Sunflower 172 :)
well i beat my mates leon cupra r 1st 2nd and 3rd but the he pissed on me after that. i also beat a civic type r i also killed a pug 206 gti 180 and was canny pleased because the kid was a rite arse!

well i beat my mates leon cupra r 1st 2nd and 3rd but the he pissed on me after that. i also beat a civic type r i also killed a pug 206 gti 180 and was canny pleased because the kid was a rite arse!

I thought the pug 180 and clio would be same ?

Is your 172 standard ?

audi a6 3.0tdi
do yo not think these threads are a bit pointless? each car has different gearing when my mates in third in his xsara vts i need to be in second as i would be out of my power band in third. just pick the most suitable gear for the situation if that means chucking it in second do it

172 CUP
im sorry but have owned a type r and now a 172 cup

the clio is similar 1st and 2nd

once into 3rd CTR is quicker and will pull away

u might keep it up with one but i personally would put that down to driver skill

Gaz_

ClioSport Club Member
  Extreme mode
im sorry but have owned a type r and now a 172 cup

the clio is similar 1st and 2nd

once into 3rd CTR is quicker and will pull away

u might keep it up with one but i personally would put that down to driver skill

I'm sorry too. I've had many a coming together with CTR's and its been nip and tuck to a ton!!!!!

172 CUP
fair enough
but after 100mph the ctr is defo quicker

but i wouldnt worry to much about speed isnt everything

thing i love about my cup is the handling :)

Clio Sport 172
I had a tiff with a Toyota RunX thats what we call them, Its normally aspirated 1800 with 195BHP or 141kw. And it is 116kw per ton as compared to the 109kw per ton for the Clio 172. I was in front and gave him the beans up to through the first 3 gears, in 4th he hauled me in quite quickly. But then if we were side to side who knows!!!

Gaz_

ClioSport Club Member
  Extreme mode
underated car imo.......... Toyota corrola t sport, suprised me how fast they were!!! Proper wolf in sheeps clothing lol

No more clio's for me!
do yo not think these threads are a bit pointless? each car has different gearing when my mates in third in his xsara vts i need to be in second as i would be out of my power band in third. just pick the most suitable gear for the situation if that means chucking it in second do it

Agreed.

Burgandy 174 sport t
I have only had one go with a ctr for some reason they never really wanna play, nothing in it and if anything 2nd and 3rd I was doing the crawling on him, only upto about the ton mark though. Nothing in it, same with a gti 180 all in a straight line!!!

pug 306 [Getting 172 Cup]
My mates got a vectra 2.2 bertone and he making me wait till santapod to have a shot, It got 150bhp in quite a heavy car, i know it has alot of torque though. Is he going to embarrise me?? Ill be in a ff 172.

I think ill have him up the strip, but imk a lil unsure as he is always very confident wen we talk bout it. he is a very very good driver. Im not bad but he is great. but that wont mean s**t in a straight line.