ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

172 from Down Under

Ph2 172
Following on from my Intro thread; http://www.cliosport.net/forum/showthread.php?667842-Fake-Aussie!&p=9094159#post9094159

Here's my progress thread for my 2001, Ph2 172.

Summary of improvements/mods;
  • Powerflex dogbone insert
  • Magnecor (Blue) leads
  • K&N 57i Gen II intake (I know, heatsoak etc ;))
  • New rear exhaust mount
  • New genuine rear pads
  • Spax RSX (road) coilovers
  • Re-furbed 182 cup wheels
  • 197 style Renaultsport badge

The following is copied across from Ozrenaultsport.com so I apologise in advance for any confusion.

Cheers :D

Ph2 172
Thought it was about time I made this thread as a few things have started to happen with my Clio. Bought her in March '12 with 105,000km and went almost straight away to Paul V at AP Automotive thanks to the good reviews I found on this forum. It turned out that despite having a full service history, the mechanics the last owner had used weren't the best. Paul found a snapped handbrake cable (Driver's side) which hadn't been replaced, just cable tied to the rear beam... An incorrectly routed clutch cable (Had been upgraded to a 182 cable though) and an incorrectly routed O2 sensor. Other than that she was in above average condition in Paul's opinion.

A few photos after the first wash and first trip to Mac pass ;)

Since then I've spent what is a small fortune from a full time student's point of view on improving little bits and pieces;
-4 new Pilot Exaltos
-K&N 57i (Bolts to OEM airbox were missing so thought I'd go for a bit more noise!)
-RS Tuner & 98RON map (No more embarrasing cold start reluctancy and shocking driveablility)
-OMP Front strut brace (Impulse buy, not yet fitted)
-Powerflex dog bone mount insert
-New handbrake cable
-Hazard light switch
-Rear exhaust mount
-Headlight bulb (Thanks Walkie!!)

Headlight bulb fitting, what a PITA!!

K&N 57i installed

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Other than that I've just been enjoying using the car day in day out for work and uni, I always seem to find myself taking the long way home though. I've been to a few OzRS events such as the Dyno day at Port Hacking Automotive where she pulled a respectable 101.3fwkw. Also the Wiseman's Ferry/Putty Rd drive day.
My filthy car at Cafe Enzo

To cut a long story short, I'm really loving this car. I knew they were a capable vehicle but I'm still blown away by it regularly after a spirited drive.

Last edited:
  Ph2 172
Quick update - Just placed an order for some Spax coilovers. Went for the non-coilover rear kit as my car is for 99% road use so the trackday kit was overkill. Going through Venom Motorsport in the UK, a very helpful bunch and they're currently doing a 100pounds off RRP deal on the Spax kits if anyone's interested.

Also, dropped some 182 Cup wheels off to be refurbed that should be ready in a couple of weeks.

Can't wait!

Ph2 172

Spax RSX706 Coilovers. Can anybody advise if I will need camber bolts? The kit didn't come with any.

Venom received the kit from Spax on the 21st Sept and it was delivered to my door on the 28th - very impressive.

I've also been informed that my wheels will be finished this week (mates rates job so being fitted in around other clients). Got myself a 197 - style Renaultsport badge that will go on along with my OMP strut brace. I also bought some carbon wrapped bullets off a member of Cliosport.net but I'm in two minds as to whether to fit them.

She's gonna be a completely different car. :D

Ph2 172
I had my freshly refurbed 182 wheels fitted this weekend at the same time as my Spax coilovers. It's still early days in regards to how they ride, I've never had coilovers before so I'm still playing around with the damping to make sure that my definition of 'firm' or 'crashy' etc is accurate. All I can comment on is that it rides very flat and seems to generate some amazing grip levels despite the very old and past it Exaltos. I'm currently running them at 10 clicks from soft on the rear and 14 clicks from soft at the front. This is just the base setting, I'm too busy with Uni work at the moment to spend some quality time fine tuning them.

Anyway enough babbling - here are some VERY ropey pictures. iPhone is all I had available to me at the time, these pics genuinely do it no justice. Walking back to it after paying for motion potion today I had to fight the oncoming erection ;)

Other mods that WILL be done before All Stars Euro Meet:
- 197 style badge
- Clear side repeaters
- Decent clean (Machine polish hopefully)

Ph2 172
Boring drive up Mt Keira today following a tortoise that had cleverly disguised itself as a VT Commodore. Spotted this Graffiti on the way so stopped for some photos, they'd probably look quite good if I had a decent camera/ knew how to point the iPhone properly.

Decided to fit the 197 badge and clear side repeaters... What a nightmare, side repeaters went without a hitch, really easy to pop out and swap.

The badge, not so good. Got the old one off easy enough, put the new one on, walked away, came back to find the 'L' lying on the ground. After many a profanity I've managed to get it to stick back on - I'm not confident it's gonna stay on though... time will tell!

Ph2 172
That's it for now, I'll keep this updated as things happen down the track. Thanks for looking.