ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

172 trying to take off!! Suspension/shocks??

RB FF 182
Hey guys & girls!

I have an 02 172 and have been having handling problems sincei bought it. The steering isn't THAT bad anymore (it was all over the place) as I needed new rear axle bushes. However, it's still not great. I think it's just down to the cheap Tyres left on by thr last owner.

Anyway, when first reversing off the drive, or moving whenever the cars been stood litte while there's a faint thud and it feels like the back end drops a little. Kinda like when you put the handbrake on and let go of the brakes on a downhill road but no where near as drastic!!

On uneven a roads going over slight changes in the road height it feels like the wheels are losing contact with the road. Kinda like they aren't moving up and down fast enough..... If that makes sense. This obviously leaves me feeling like I cannot corner without spinning to my death! Lol.

Any advice would be great!! It feels like shocks to me, but I'm not sure!

Thanks for any help in advance!! :)

Evo 6, E92 320d
The reversing clunk you mention is just the pads sticking to the disc due to surface rust, don't worry about that:)

Mk5 golf gti
yep whip off the rear wheels an check for leaks on the rear shocks.will be fairly obvious if they are once you take the wheels off.very common problem on standard shocks

RB FF 182
Cheers Dunn. I'll do that when it stops raining!! I'll lett you know what I find. How much is it to replace these roughly? I assume it's not really a diy job?

RB FF 182
Sorry jonny I didn't see your post cuz I'm on my phone. Thanks for the input I'll update the thread over the weekend.

RB FF 182
£50 quid each for Cup shocks for the 182.

Is your car very low?

pretty much DIY very easy to replace. Couple of spanners and a wratchet should have both shocks changed within an hour provided their not seized.

Mk5 golf gti
yea tis a diy job tbh
nothing to it really get a set of 200 quid coilovers so you dont have to replace them again :approve:

RB FF 182
Lol thanks guys! I'll take a look to see if there are any leaks over the weekend, but it sounds like everyones pretty sure the problems i'm having are down to shocks?

RB 182
EXACT same problem with a 182 i had. The rear shocks were leaking badly, and i had some off my 172 that i removed for adjustable KONIs, so i put them on. But it felt like when you went round a corner, the back end skipped round, could really feel it coming round. I also followed my g/f driving it, and the could literally see the rear wheels leave the ground!! Swapped the rear shocks for some brand new ones, problem solved :)

DrR

ClioSport Club Member
  VW Golf GTD
I've had 2 shocks go and neither leaked, best way is to take em off and check em.

RB FF 182
Thanks again all, got the whole weekend off so I'll check for leaks. Failing that I'll buy some new shocks but I'm not going to be able to afford any til next month! Although I've seen coilover kits for like £250... So I'm thinking about that too! I'll post over the weekend to let you know what I've found.