ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

172 turbo, priming my turbo/ water cooling.

Im building my own 172 turbo using a gt28rs and im coming near to the end of it all now, to prime my turbo am I right in the following;

squirt a little bit of oil into the oil feed and spin turbine by hand and connect oil feed up

disconnect coil pack

fuel pump relays removed

return pipe disconnected at sump

crank over for 5-10 secs until I get a good flow of oil out of the return pipe

And can i also use the return line from the thermostat plumbed into the lowest water port and another pie exiting from highest water port and back into header tank, would this be sufficient enough?

Cheers
Pete

Megane r26
That sounds about right for priming the oil system buddy. I take it your thinking of plumbing the turbo coolant feed in on the coolant return?

That sounds about right for priming the oil system buddy. I take it your thinking of plumbing the turbo coolant feed in on the coolant return?

Ahh good, thanks fella.

Since the turbo is water cooled i wanted to try use existing cooling system to cool it. I thought that I might be able to plumb a pipe from the thermostat return line into turbo and another from turbo back to header tank? Would the flow be sufficient enough? and also would the temps be too much as its allready very hot being the return line to begin with?

Pete

Do I splice into top pipe that goes to heater matrix and T-piece off into the water inlet on the turbo then splice into lower pipe and T off into water outlet on the turbo? This is the part that im abit confused about.

Pete

Megane r26
Do I splice into top pipe that goes to heater matrix and T-piece off into the water inlet on the turbo then splice into lower pipe and T off into water outlet on the turbo? This is the part that im abit confused about.

Pete

Surely you could t into the matrix feed pipe for the feed an then t back into the matrix exit pipe for the drain?

Correct me if i'm wrong

Im not 100% sure but Im guessing bottom pipe to heater matrix is inlet and upper is outlet so i just need to T off from each one to turbo inlet and outlet?

Thanks

Megane r26
Yeah take your feed off the matrix feed pipe an t your turbo coolant drain into the matrix exit pipe. The matrix has a constant feed of coolant so can't see the problem really.