ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

172 vs. New MINI Cooper S

Black Ph2 172
I know some people don't like these threads, in which case don't respond, but I am curious as to how 172 perform against the new (turbocharged) MINI Cooper S?

Thanks in advance guys :)

i seen one of the new cooper s' yesterday, thing was rapid

would be surprised if the 172 would get ahead (it pains me to say that lol)

CX-7,westfield,ix20
One of my mates has one and I have a 182.

Him with one (light) passenger and me myself side by side at 60 odd...I pulled a few car lengths in a short space. His is still tighter than a nuns c?$t though.

I imagine once a few more miles on it and no passengers in each it would be pretty much tit for tat up to 110-120 but then the mini would start to open up a gap.

David

Clio 182 Trophy
I've looked at the times and from 0-60 the Trophy is quicker, not sure about the 172 though. The only trouble with looking up 0-60 times is that it says different times from different sources........

I've looked at the times and from 0-60 the Trophy is quicker, not sure about the 172 though. The only trouble with looking up 0-60 times is that it says different times from different sources........
go out and time yourself then you'll kno exactly what urs is compared to others;)

Turbos.
They are rapid, especially mid range. All very well having an orchestrated race but in the real world they would own a Clio.

clio cup172
I kept up with one with the guy pulling out and not really passing. wasnt that impressive for the money he will have paid

ForceIndia

ClioSport Club Member
  Gentlemans spec 200
get what you pay for mini will be faster and handle better!
Not likely. From experience, good car, great engine, but (especially with runflats) just too stiff across the front, lots of wheelspin and washes into understeer if your clumsy.

ive driven three of the previous cooper s's and one of the latest, i found they struggle with corners if pushed. understeered like mad - although to be fair ive only driven them in winter.

acceleration was good, so were the brakes, but im not impressed with the car as a whole.

good motor for girls!

MCS R56
The Clio on the other hand, a real mans car ;)

You know it!

New MCS is quick through the gears but looks pi$h, imo. To bubbly and round looking and I've never liked the chrome all over the place - the old one was nicer. The Clubman is just the biggest heap of $hit on the road. Rediculous car.

no clio size car is man-ish.

now thats a wild claim!!

Red_6R4-L.jpg

R26, R27
driven morego's mini demonstrator which has around 230bhp it is quick but hard to put the power down in corners,raced a new mini coop s and kept up with it,the coop had a different exhaust so i thought i done well as my car is standard

Weeman sucks ****
get what you pay for mini will be faster and handle better!

if the previous model s is anything to go by on the new one they don't handle better imo. much more sketchy and twitchy at the back plus as they're specced up for image conscious females and homosexual men the 17/18" wheels do compromise handling.

my exgoodfornothings.hitcnut girlfriend has one. well put together, almost too well put together tbh and over engineered as it shows in the price tag.

imo, for starters not worth the money. secondly, i think the clio handles better. they pull roughly the same but do feel slightly different.

minis, i s.hit 'em

Focus RS Mk1
one of my mates has the old charged mini's said there was nothing in it between my 172 and that. imagine the tubo version isnt much different!

C-VXR, T8 Map 220BHP
as im bored.

Mini Cooper-s turbo........ 172bhp.... 182lbft .....0-60-7.1 .......1130kg
Mini Cooper-s charged....... 168bhp...... 155lbft... 0-60 -7.8 ......1140kg

evo mag

ForceIndia

ClioSport Club Member
  Gentlemans spec 200
one of my mates has the old charged mini's said there was nothing in it between my 172 and that. imagine the tubo version isnt much different!
It's very different, pulls much harder than the old unit. They've done VW's trick, most are testing at 180-185bhp standard, then you've got the overboost pushing it to 200ish bhp.

Snotter's
its a newer breed of car and a 172 will be no match for it, go drive the new turbo charged s and its a very muscular engine.

Megane R26, R21 Turbo
dont know about a 172 but im pretty certain a 172 would out handle the mini cornering on roads or a track ppl assume everythings about straightline speed its combination of both straightline and cornering e.g a track and why do ppl think minis handle when they clearly dont? a trophy would batter one on the track or on road plus weve all seen the 197 out perform the mini cooper s works or whatever its called on fifth gear the mini couldnt even stay on the track 197 has a few more horses but nothing to make a big difference plus 197's are renaultsport whats "renaultsport" about having 6 gears high mpg on something thats designed to be a hot hatch thats just rubbish 182s are quicker than them anyway and 172cup/182cup/trophy really are what renaultsport is all about good everyday/trackday cars, fact is oldskool mini with an engine conversion would be cheaper and they handle so much better all for prob less than you can buy a cooper s for and dont say oh its too much work ive seen many good examples up for sale, id have a 172 cup or 182 over a 197 anyday and a real mini over the bmw cooper s anyday

Last edited: