ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

172cup vs V6

S-Max
I was surprised at the minimal increase in top speed, 0-60 & quarter mile timings that the V6 holds over the 172 cup for example.

Top speeds were 138mph vs 144mph
0-60 was circa 6.5 vs 6
and some of the best quarter mile times, between 13.5 and 15 secs were more often recorded by cups....

Apart from the fact that a V6 looks better what are some of the advantages to the price tag? Thinking of buying in not so distant future thats all. Cheers.

Fiat Coupe 20v turbo
Cup + mods over the vee if you want performance per £££

Vee wins hands down for looks,road presence and pure wow factor...

S-Max
yeah but based on what I wrote at top it can whatever gravy it wants but it aint got much more vvvoom than I've already got :mad:

Expected a bigger difference thats all...

Vee dub
I think you'll find on the track.. the V6 is superior.. standard for standard

Noise, looks, it's quicker.... I don't think you'd own a car like it again without spending silly money... THATS why it's better

S-Max
No argument about it being better, to me one of the best looking cars around but I love sports clios...

I just wanted to check I wasn't missing anything glaringly obvious and it seems I haven't.

Will probably upgrade early 2007.

Vee dub
Yeah that's understandable mate, the 172 Cup is a very capable car in the right hands!

The V6, as you say is just an awesome experience..

I've driven a V6 255 and it simply knocks spots off anything I've ever driven in the clio range... 172's, valvers, williams.. which is no big surprise im sure...

M

M7CUO_V6

R u thinking of getting mk1 or 2 mate?

Ive never driven a 172 or 182 but i own a mk1 vee and its an amazing car to own. i think you would only have more presence on the road in a Ferrari, TVR etc. Everyone looks in oar!

The noise is one of the best things about it for sure. The looks are the best, (255 probably better). And i could drive it all day on dry B roads, (if i had the petrol money).

Clio v6 & Atom 300
As some have said the 172cup is better bang for your buck but the Vee is in a whole different league when you look at the bigger picture.

They look amazing.
They are rare as feck!:cool:
They sound amazing.
They are very quick without thrashing the engine.
At sensible speeds they handle beautifully.
On the limit they are a challenge to drive, but thats a plus in my book.;)
Incase it floats your boat they also have all the toys too.

All that fun and Renault service costs / intervals.

Mine makes me smile every day. Its just so MAD!:approve:

Peter

Cup is capable of 139mph? V6 is capable of 155mph+. I did 140mph in mine in 5th gear, I hadn't even changed to 6th. Not sure what the top speed is on mine.

I've owned a 172 mk1 on individual throttle bodies which was running 218bhp and the clio v6 mk1 (230bhp).

0-60 the 172 was slightly quicker. I used to manage 5.7 seconds where as the v6 will do it in 6 secs.

After 60 the v6 wins hands down, accelerates a lot quicker and feels so much more powerful. Pulls like a train in 4th, 5th and 6th.

172 Cup
According to the Stig, the Cup (182 that is) is faster than the V6 round the track, and not just by a cat's whisker either...

Top Gear times:

182 Cup - 1:33.8
V6 MK2 - 1:36.2

For me (not that I've ever had the pleasure to drive one) but I think the V6 is all about image and sheer wow factor, but sadly not from the performace.

S-Max
Not sure which mark 1 or 2, need to look at both.

I'm not debating which is better, its obvious (like comparing a 330i to an M3) just getting the full picture. The fact that you don't see them as often is a plus (saying that I dont see too many 172 cups in my neck of the woods - Watford)

Chris, 138mph for 172 cup I got 144mph back for V6, perhaps it was a mk2?

S-Max
I got to 122 and shat myself.... My license I was thinking of. Would guess late 130's easily achieveable.

Renault Laguna Coupe
pecan said:
According to the Stig, the Cup (182 that is) is faster than the V6 round the track, and not just by a cat's whisker either...

Top Gear times:

For me (not that I've ever had the pleasure to drive one) but I think the V6 is all about image and sheer wow factor, but sadly not from the performace.

Depends on which track. The light, nimble Cup would beat the V6 around Brands Indy for instance (it would probably beat a Porsche 911 turbo too!), but at somewhere like Spa the Cup just wouldn't have the grunt for all those long high speed sections and would be left for dead. I've owned a 172 and a V6 - they're so totally different it's difficult to compare really.

The Cup is much easier to drive fast too, which makes a huge difference.

Clio V6 255
pecan said:

Top Gear times:

The V6 time was in the wet i believe.

172 Cup
^ lol. ok I'll shut up then. :)

But really, Clarkson usually quotes 2-3 seconds extra for a wet lap around that track, which makes them pretty much identical.

Not a 172 cup, but comparing my old V6 to the 182... the V6 is effortless, just fantastic grip and pulls with ease and makes a great sound up to a ton+ the 182 you have the thrash the nuts off to get it going, the V6 has the power from low down the rev range all the way to the red line, the 182 has no power until 5500 to the red line. Using timing gear, V6 5.8secs to 60 with a few mods (Zost, Chip, EVO Viper IK). 182 6.6 with no mods apart from panel ITG filter. (still respectable)

If you havent owned a Vee.. comparing times isnt anything that important to an owner.. they drive superbly, and just make u grin from ear to ear evry time you drive it! The only downside was I didnt like all the attention all the time though tbh, you cant be shy with one of these! But 99% of the time, its part of the fun.

I like the 182, as its a daily useable descreet run about, but may be looking for another Vee soon. :D

Lionel Richie
mk2 V6 is 5.8 to 60 and 153 top speed

above 90mph a cup will not keep up with a V6

below that they're pretty even

FredYozzasport said:
mk2 V6 is 5.8 to 60 and 153 top speed

above 90mph a cup will not keep up with a V6

below that they're pretty even

Yep, the mk1 will also do sub 6 secs all day long with custom zorst etc as mentioned above. I took mine to Ktec and had them fit the KW coilovers, and that was worth every penny! Transformed it.. just a grin to drive/own. Had it 2 years tho, and warrenty was running out! lol. But wanted to try a 182, its still a good car.. but not in the same league performance wise imo. (fun wise i should say)

Mk2 is the one to go for now, their prices have fallen massively!

pecan said:
^ lol. ok I'll shut up then. :)

But really, Clarkson usually quotes 2-3 seconds extra for a wet lap around that track, which makes them pretty much identical.

He normaly quote 4+ sec In Monsoon conditions though... ;):)

When will people please stop quoting those damn laps times, 182 was bone dry and masses of grip, V6 was MONSOON and therefore feck all grip, I'm amazed it managed to get within 2s of the 182 in those conditions, they are a bloody handfull in very wet conditions :) fun though ;) lol

Simon

Yep agree :)

The v6 has the same wet lap as the Aston Martin vanquish....I doubt I could keep up in the dry though...lol ;)

Simon

D

dick

thats my dream car. gorgeous.

that says a lot bout wet times then, vanquish shud be up in the 1-20s

J

JACKO CUP 172!

keben6 said:
yeah but based on what I wrote at top it can whatever gravy it wants but it aint got much more vvvoom than I've already got :mad:

Expected a bigger difference thats all...
was it a phase 1 or 2

Nissan 350Z
V6 mk2 is faster and better than any 2.0 clio, simple as that.

Better noise. Better to drive. Faster. Quite probably better handling as well. I bet it could corner faster than a 2.0 in the right hands.

Clio v6 & Atom 300
Zonda said:
Not a 172 cup, but comparing my old V6 to the 182... the V6 is effortless, just fantastic grip and pulls with ease and makes a great sound up to a ton+ the 182 you have the thrash the nuts off to get it going, the V6 has the power from low down the rev range all the way to the red line, the 182 has no power until 5500 to the red line. Using timing gear, V6 5.8secs to 60 with a few mods (Zost, Chip, EVO Viper IK). 182 6.6 with no mods apart from panel ITG filter. (still respectable)

If you havent owned a Vee.. comparing times isnt anything that important to an owner.. they drive superbly, and just make u grin from ear to ear evry time you drive it! The only downside was I didnt like all the attention all the time though tbh, you cant be shy with one of these! But 99% of the time, its part of the fun.

I like the 182, as its a daily useable descreet run about, but may be looking for another Vee soon. :D

Spot on. Thats the key point. They are a truely mad, iconic, beast, whereas a factory standard clio 17/82cup is just a well sorted hot hatch. They are completely different types of car, both great in their own way. The only similarity is they are both loosely based on the same shell! But otherwise EVERYTHING else is different.

Oh and try before you buy NEVER decide based on figures in books, or others opinions.;)

Peter:D

My God the V6 is so much faster and quicker. The times people quote were wet. I wouldn't want to have to hear the basic RS Clios bleet on about flawed information, as a V6 owner.

Still I suppose you know the jist anyway. These 0-60 times are such an American waste of time. It gives no indication of a cars ability afterall.

V6= much better car. This is from a lower RS owner who knows not to do the stupid pub brag based on dubious information.