ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

180 pug test drive

insignia

mate just bought a pug 180 GTI.He let me take it out for a spin.Nice seats and dials.seemed fast but didnt have kick at the top end like the 172/182.Wheels look the part though & the seats wicked.I really want to race him now as he says it would be down to drivers skill but I think different;)

[Edited by 182 sport on 01 February 2005 at 10:05am] On a test track of course

tiTTy & SV650

Its a nice looking car and being a pug Im sure itll handle nicely. Seats are classy, but I hear its not that great a car? Is it not pretty expensive too?

insignia

Well he bought his for £11,000 its second hand with 7,000 on the clock. How do they compare 0-100 to the clio?

tiTTy & SV650

I have no idea, you dont see too many of them about eh. £11k 2nd hand, well I paid not a lot more for a brand new 182. Whats the equipment level like?

Just goes to show the value you get in a 182 I reckon.

Clio 200 Cup packed

i had the standard gti a couple of cars back.

horrible horrible car!

worst 13k ive ever spent!

KDF

Audi TT Stronic

The 180s keep up with the 172s IIRC, I would have thought the 206 would have been able to outhandle a standard 172 to be honest, but a lot of people have said otherwise, and that the 206 is a horrible car. ?

Clio 200 Cup

From my experience the 180 isnt as fast as you would think, by a long way. I dont know if it was because the one i had a play with was fairly new and hadnt loosened up, but i was not impressed. Bet they handle well though, my mate had a quiksilver and even that stuck to the road like glue

VaVa

I saw one last night, one of only 2 Ive ever seen. They certainly look the part. According to EVO (I know I know) it still sells more units than the Clio 182, Cooper S etc???

Ive never driven one, but apparently the ride is terrible - really crashy. I have had a few goes in the first 206 GTi and that was a bag of w**k.

R

rich[182]

For what its worth either autocar or autoexpress (or both !) did reviews earlier last year, conclusion was that in every split time etc the 206 was a shade off the 172 (Im sure they said non cup 172)

Im sure the 0-100 though was arround 2 secs slower than the 172 and that the 206 although great car did not cut the ice in terms of driver involvement and feeling through the wheel etc,etc and it was a missed opportunity

KDF

Audi TT Stronic

Bring back the 205GTi .. what an awesome car that was.. I want my one back.. :(

insignia

It definately didnt seem as quick as the 172,but the handling seemed ok but I agree there is definately lack of feel through the steering,althought to say its a bad car is not true-cant wait to show him the back of my clio.

tiTTy & SV650

Quote: Originally posted by KDF on 01 February 2005

Bring back the 205GTi .. what an awesome car that was.. I want my one back.. :(
funny how these always come back down to 205gtis isnt it?! Not that Im mocking them - Big fan and former owner :)

The 206 180 isnt as fast as the 172. Apart from the looks and the seats in the 206 the 172 beats it hands down in every other department. The 180 handles like a barrel of dirty dog crap as standard.. Suspension is rock hard and you feel every bump .. with more body roll than a Sumo champ .. Drop it down 30/40mm though and you would find it very hard to keep up with it round the twisties. Fantastic gear box but the engine needs to lobbed out the window and reinvented... totally untunable without some major engine work.

and not that much quicker than the standard gti anyway .....

mate dont know wot one u drove but my mums one sticks to the road like glue, bit hard but i can live with that. nothing wrong with the engine either so it may be hard to tune but not everyone wants to tune it some people are happy with 180bhp.

Oh and they mince the standard gti.

Quote: Originally posted by Pandauk on 01 February 2005

mate dont know wot one u drove but my mums one sticks to the road like glue, bit hard but i can live with that. nothing wrong with the engine either so it may be hard to tune but not everyone wants to tune it some people are happy with 180bhp.

Oh and they mince the standard gti.
I didnt "drive" I "owned" and your idea of mince must obviously be very different to mine. I did 20000 in a standard Gti & 8000 miles in a 180 so id say i know how fast they are ;)

fight, fight, fight!!! he called you gay in a PM he sent me.

what bhp was the old 206gti?? is it really hard then? would long drives hurt your back?

fat 182

i drove both when deciding what to buy

the pug didnt have that spark the clio has

shame really i bet there would have been some good batles at the traffic lights

and loads of people one here posting 182 vs 180gti threads

Quote: Originally posted by The Don on 01 February 2005

fight, fight, fight!!! he called you gay in a PM he sent me.

what bhp was the old 206gti?? is it really hard then? would long drives hurt your back?
The old Gti was 138bhp standard, but felt more like 100bhp.. Both extremely good cars imo BUT the performance on both seriously let them down.

And yeah the ride quality in the 180 is that hard and is that uncomfortable. I reckon thats why they kitted it out inside with recaros.. just to make it that bit more acceptable.

H22A7 Accord Type R

the 17s with 205/40 rubber (i assume?) will kill its handling! im dreading putting my 17s back on............all about the show without the go!