ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

182 & 172 4 Pot Kit.. Gauging Interest

clio 200 F4Rt
Currently looking at having a 4 pot brake kit made for the mk2 172 and 182.

Kit would be to fit behind a 15 inch wheel. With a 2 peice disc (with alloy bell)

We have 2 companies interested in doing a kit at moment.

Who would be interested in such a kit, and what sort of money would they be willing to pay for a good quality kit?

Clio 172PH2
would the V6 '330mm Ventilated Disks with Four-Piston AP Front Calipers' not fit onto a 172/182? If so would that not be a cheaper alternative?

fmp_ said:
Who would be interested in such a kit, and what sort of money would they be willing to pay for a good quality kit?

I could be ...... depends on price really.

clio 200 F4Rt
7MAT - thats what i am asking, what would you want to pay? as dont want to get a kit made, that costs around 700 pounds if no one is willing to spend that sort of money on it (despite being good value!)

AP already do a kit, but due to wheel clearence they use a race calliper, which has no dust seals (not a problem). And a 25mm wide disc.

the AP kit retails for around 1400 plus VAT.

Lionel Richie
this is the thing mate, there's no need for 4pots on a 172/182 IMO, but some people want them

the Hispec kit is by no means on the same level as AP stuff, the AP kit we're going to have made will be a road caliper

clio 200 F4Rt
AP tell me that you will need to run spacers to fit a Road Calliper, but excellentt if they can make a kit that wont. As many people are put off by having no seals.

Although if you look after them correctly, this shouldnt be an issue.

As for the 4 pots, i thought that at first, but the more i use the car, the more braking power i wish it had.

Lionel Richie
100-0 in 4sec is good enough for me!!

weight is an issue, as is wheel type

the PF stuff we use on the track demo car is awesome, but of course people don't like the downside of the dust

clio 200 F4Rt
sure, its so hard to please everyone!

Tho must admit, it seems 172/182 owners seem less likely to spend on thier cars. Maybe as its a slightly older generation? Where as from the world of saxo's, where i come from, there are more cars with 4 pot kits than standard!! lol

Renaultsport 220T
fmp_ said:
sure, its so hard to please everyone!

Tho must admit, it seems 172/182 owners seem less likely to spend on thier cars. Maybe as its a slightly older generation? Where as from the world of saxo's, where i come from, there are more cars with 4 pot kits than standard!! lol

Cheeky sod! I'll hit you with my walking stick! The yoof of today.

No respect!

:eek:

EK9 + Mfactory gearing..
£6-700 is a reasonable cost for ppl on here imo, theres not many 4 pot kits for the rs & most are silly money, the brembro kits are 1-1.5k depending on what pads/discs are used, a kit that uses the oem discs like Freds hispec developement kit should sell really well as it will be the only one so far, no details on the site yet, still testing Fred? gold or silver hmm

Audi A6 (S3 on order)
Well I seem to be buggered since the rotas went on the car. Out of all the wheels I have tried from rota the OE 182 rim still has the most caliper clearance. Shame they are so heavy, bad for brake cooling and a bit ugly.

So if anyone wants a brembo 4pot kit with 308mm discs (that fits behind OE 182 wheels) you know where to come !!

Or maybe I should try some turinis (trophy) to see if they offer any better clearance ?

clio 200 F4Rt
182WRC - wasnt meant in a bad way!!!

i think the offset of the 182's dont really help, as it doesnt leave too much room to play with.

fmp_ said:
7MAT - thats what i am asking, what would you want to pay? as dont want to get a kit made, that costs around 700 pounds if no one is willing to spend that sort of money on it (despite being good value!)

AP already do a kit, but due to wheel clearence they use a race calliper, which has no dust seals (not a problem). And a 25mm wide disc.

the AP kit retails for around 1400 plus VAT.

The cheaper the better, to be honest I would be very tempted at the £500 mark.

I would pay £700. Although they arent that high on my list at the minute I will upgrade them in the future.

Then again if Ross is selling his Brembos cheap;), £200 OK?

Audi A6 (S3 on order)
I'd rather pay twice that and have some assurance that when I stomp on the brake pedal they are going to work. If the hi-spec kit is £600 ... I wouldn't want to drop any lower, christ knows what you'd end up with.

7MAT said:
The cheaper the better, to be honest I would be very tempted at the £500 mark.

Audi A6 (S3 on order)
cheap, but not stupid cheap. :p

pm me if you want a price.

MarkM said:
I would pay £700. Although they arent that high on my list at the minute I will upgrade them in the future.

Then again if Ross is selling his Brembos cheap;), £200 OK?

Turbos.
You have to work out market. Are there enough trackday enthusiasts or people wanting to enter race series? I wouldn't do a compromised kit just because Max Power fans want all show and no...stop!

clio 200 F4Rt
cliobuyer - for sure, this kit will be made for track day enthusiasts. It wont be market or designed for the max power brigade (especially sseing as most mag featured cars run standard brakes!!)

I don't think you need bigger disk its calipers only you need to upgrade. My Williams has 180hp or so with 259mm disks and 4 pots the standard 172 disk is 280mm so bigger anyway and I cannot for the life of me fade the Williams brakes.
However finding a caliper which is suitable sized which can use 280mm disk maybe difficult so that why you'll probably need bigger disk in the end (plus some of the market will demand it).

ChrisR

ClioSport Club Member
Will four pots and standard discs really make a huge difference? I always thought the larger the disc with these upgrades the better heat dissipation they had, thus better braking?

Do they help prevent fade under track conditions?

I've always wanted a set of 4 pots but don't think I can justify them on the 172. As Fred says 100-0 in 4 secs is pretty decent, how many times you can do that before you cook the brakes is another matter I guess...

Lionel Richie
on standard stuff they'll be fucked after 6 straight goes i would guess

there's several ways to improve braking

bigger discs - means a higher torque can be applied to the disc (kind've hard to explain in simple terms, a bit like a pivot point)

different pad/disc materials

higher caliper pad clamping force

fluid

lines

caliper material i've found helps, all 4 pots are either cast or billet ali, they don't really ever get hot hence fluid stays cooler

brake cooling (air) helps if prevent fade

ChrisR

ClioSport Club Member
That's somethign else I was gonna ask, does anyone do fog light brake ducts for the mk1 172? Both my lights are cracked but I never use 'em so might as well rip them out :)

Lionel Richie
all 4pot calipers are pretty much the same, as are the discs

example, i took 330mm discs off a fiat 360 and bolted them onto a M3 GTR on saturday due to a crack

the only difference between the 2 is the caliper mounting brackets, and the alloy bells

calipers are a "one size fits all" type affair, the money is in the costs of the brackets and bells

both cars had the same calipers, and same discs

EK9 + Mfactory gearing..
ta Fred, silly question but to be sure if for example 'if' i used a seat ibiza 4 pot caliper on the 172 would i then have to use a brake pad from a seat ibiza to fit it? to fabricate mounting brackets what guestimate of cost?

Lionel Richie
no, thats the good thing with 4pots, the pads are generic (mine are from a volvo 240, all hispec billet 4's are)

AP have there own specific pad sizes, they'll fit on whatever car as long as it has AP calipers, and the pad is the correct size for that caliper

Lionel Richie
depending on what material you make the caliper bracket from, a decent machine shop will charge "around" £150, depends on how long it takes

EK9 + Mfactory gearing..
seems a real pain in the ar*e, seems other makes of car get their brembro etc kits cheaper but clios are rare and expensive eh

EK9 + Mfactory gearing..
what would you call a decent machine shop? being a southener i wouldnt know where to go lol

EVOgone

ClioSport Club Member
  Pink Cup Racer
You get ripped off for the disc, AP 4 pt calipers are 600 max so if you can find a std fitment disc to use then it will just be to make mounts to suit.

Godspeed do the brembo / AP kit for 1k..lol 550 for a calipers and 300...!! for the discs.! Pads and lines and bracket 150.

VW is 100x4..? can these not be used..?