ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

182 Best Hot Hatch Ever

There has been alot of attention recently on the 182 and many people are starting to claim that thanks to a certain infamous magazine review, the title "Best Hot Hatch Ever" has been taken from the Williams and given to the 182. However i have some information that alot of Williams owners may like to hear, and alot of 182 future purchasers may or may not be interested in, depending on how open minded they are.

Firstly, that is just one review that was written by one man, and is not a concensus of opinion, even amongst the single magazine the review appeared in. The overwhelming opinion at the moment is still that the Williams is the "best Hot Hatch Ever" as far as motoring journalists go.

Secondly, and more importantly, a little bird recently told me that the reviewer hasnt actually driven a Williams before. IF this is true, nobody can say the title has been taken as there is no way for him to compare how good the two cars feel against each other.

So I think well have that crown back for just a little while longer thanks boys.;). At least for a month or two.

Too early in my opinion to say the 182 is the best hot hatch ever. Plus the Williams has the whole classic thing going on, which the 182 will never have.....

172, Tiguan

Agreed.

And I have no intention of buying a 10 year old Clio with Reno 19 bits in it thanks, so I couldnt care less.

Quote: Originally posted by Tomclio182 on 13 February 2004

Hmmm.

Hmmm indeed.

that is the 182tromba, we all know the williams is good. Do you really think people are buying the 182 because evo said it was good? Evo is a jumped up lifestyle magazine.

Im not the one that quotes them all the time.

I buy it for the pictures.

I can read

PS. Who holds the lap record for the greatest circuit on the planet.

eeerrrrmmmmm...........................me?

172, Tiguan

PS. Who holds the lap record for the greatest circuit on the planet.

eeerrrrmmmmm...........................me?

A certain EVO Road tester.

Remapped derv Golf

1960s - Mini Cooper

1970s - VW Golf GTi

1980s - Peugeot 205 GTi (either 1.6 or 1.9)

1990s - Renault Clio Williams

2000s - Well see the decade aint over yet is it. There might be an outstanding Fiesta RS out in a few years........................doubt it but maybe.

Bring on the 192 Clio

Remapped derv Golf

What was the content? Something about beating your £13k bits of crap no doubt? am I on the right lines?

Ill second this:

And I have no intention of buying a 10 year old Clio with Reno 19 bits in it thanks, so I couldnt care less.

320d M Sport

well i got this piece of literacy excellance:

"Your a funny guy, bet it took ages to think up that reply. Let me guess, you work in IT?

-- Previous Private Message --
Sent by : paddymph
Sent : 13 February 2004 at 7:51pm

bore off, tw*t.

-- Previous Private Message --
Sent by : king.stromba
Sent : 13 February 2004 at 7:38pm

LOL, it makes me laugh at the losers that post stupid comments that really arnt funny. Im the first one to acknowledge a witty come-back or subtle comment but some of the trash people come out with really does suck. Why dont you read the title, read the first post, and if it doesnt interest you go to a different post. People like you really are sad. Havnt you got anything better do do than be negative? Go and find yourself a girlfriend and have sex for the first time. "

Hmmm, dont quite see the need but there u go?! :confused:

clio 20v

oh dear

handbags at dawn

u neednt worry cos u all kno my valver is way quicker than all ur cars hehe

jus cos its red

adi

Quote: Originally posted by adiclio16v on 13 February 2004

oh dear

handbags at dawn

jus cos its red

adi

Adi I cannot argue with anything youve said except it would be faster if it was blue;)

clio 20v

Quote: Originally posted by 007 on 13 February 2004

oh dear

handbags at dawn

jus cos its red

adi

Adi I cannot argue with anything youve said except it would be faster if it was blue;)
well red an blue makes a sort of pinky purple colour so imagine how fast that wud be

adi

clio 20v

Quote: Originally posted by jon_r on 13 February 2004

Agreed.

thats a bit rude considering all the probs we hear about 172s mines never let me down once even wen passing 172s for fun

adi

Tom

ClioSport Club Member
  EV (s)

No mate your getting the wrong end of the stick.

Its simply not what he wants.

Quote: Originally posted by jon_r on 13 February 2004

Agreed.

thats a bit rude considering all the probs we hear about 172s mines never let me down once even wen passing 172s for fun

adi
One of the reasons King is this way is people keep knocking the older cars. Some of us choose older over newer as we think they are better. I wish people could just accept this but apparently not.

Oh and as I keep on saying like a broken record "better" is totally subjective and mostly down to you needs and wants from a car.

Mr2 Roadster

Knob Jockey...

In all seriousness I would not buy a Williams now on the principle that he has two!

More like a Sunshine Williams Coach!

Tom

ClioSport Club Member
  EV (s)

007 jon_r means no offence and neither do i

Again you should listen to yourself, its his opinion.

Some of us prefer new cars, but i have respect for those who dont.

Quote: Originally posted by Tomclio182 on 13 February 2004

007 jon_r means no offence and neither do i

Again you should listen to yourself, its his opinion.

some of us prefer new cars, but i have respect for those who dont.
Yeah - sorry I havent even read the post at the top LOL

KS has been arguing with people in driving tales for ages about old v new etc with a few people (most havent driven the cars in question which makes arguning a bit pointless IMO Lmao). I dont think he should let it turn into a personal crusade on the entire board.

We are all defensive over our cars to some extent as pathetic as it is.

Tom

ClioSport Club Member
  EV (s)

Only if the messages remain the property of the sender upon sending.

I got the exact same PM just for a yawn!!! Bored of the mines better than yours threads, thats all!!

I thought it was well out of order as Ive never sl*gged off anyones car on here.....now caravans they are fair game :devilish:

And why he thinks I should get a girlfriend and have sex for the first time is beyond me, is he trying to tell me I should be a lesbian or something?! Its nice of him to care but I prefer men... ;)

King, surely the best ever hot hatch is the one you personally feel is the best ever hot hatch? who cares what some magazine guy thinks, if to him its the best, then good for him, but to get wound up about it is stupid.

Ask any Civic Type-R driver, probably drove the Clio but thought the CTR was better, as it appealed to whatever he looks for in a car more than the Clio did.

The only person who can really rate which hot hatch is the best is you, what do you do normally then? wait for someone to tell you which jeans are the best? or which hairstyle is the best? you have an opinion about your car, and if you were secure about your opinion, you wouldnt get wound up when other people have a different one.

Things also move on, the Williams get a lot of respect, deservedly, but today a hot hatch will be judged on different criteria to what they were a number of years ago. Extras, safety, running costs etc have all changed and progressed, and although for pure drivability the Williams may (and I dont know) be better, thats not the sole reason to rate a car, or wed all be driving Lotus Elises.

172, Tiguan

Can I just say I was being no way offensive towards anyone - well OK it was aimed at somebody- when i posted the Clio with 19 bits comment. I have a new car because it suited me and have had old cars in the past, indeed i can understand why people own the Williams / 16v, its a great car.

I have the utmost respect for the Clio 16v and Williams, its just that I wish some people - this only applies to Williams drivers - would realise that there car is not the greatest car that ever existed and "nothings ever going to better it!"

Unfortunatly this syndrom of my car is best has inflicted Cup drivers as well, lol , but you know we all like to defend whats ours!

Anyway, thats enough of me...