ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

182 better than 172?! :(

Ali

V6, Trackhawk, GTS
Let Alan drive mine last nite, Basically to test the B&M. After a 20min drive we swapped cars. I jumped into his 182 with cup packs and Eibac pro's Instantly the handling was better, and the car was much sharper!!! But surely it can't all be down to the springs?!

My car was definetly quicker no doubt about it, pulled alot better through all gears, B&M is nicer too...(Cough cough** Group buy in the wated section!)

Just a bit pissed off really, Mine feels quite unstable and not that sharp, Will get it tracked soon, but the tyre wear is perfect which indicates normal caster and camber.

:( Whats the shout! Tyres are decent too. ESP was off on the 182 too.

Ali

V6, Trackhawk, GTS
^No i drove the 197 and it felt lazy and heavy.

I can't be arsed spending any more on the pink bus, so the williams is going to take priority!!

Turbo'd MX-5 MK4
Apex IIRC? My 172 was/is the same, its more than a handful to control at SPEED to say the least. I've been in an Evo at similar speeds and over, it was planted. Sometimes it can be more fun that way though.

Maz

LY 200
Mine is on Apex too and thats why I want to change, nice drop with them but handling is hard work at times but only IMHO of course :)

172 Cup
Strange, as when i drive my mates 172 cup it felt miles better than my 182 cup, eats mine eveytime on pull away.

Well said ali, only thing i would comment on was when we went up to buckie to see the williams, your car scrubbed and scraped quite alot, and there was only 3 of us (granted im no light kid)

but mine is lowered on springs aswell, and have managed all my family in mine (5 heffers) and didnt scrub once..

Time to upgrade son :rasp:

130i, 306 hdi, vrs
ant said:
apex on mine and its miles better than standard.

the turn in is a joy now!

ive got eibach pros on my cup its improved the handling but the ride has been compromised over bumpy roads , cup feels miles better than my bros ff172 which was my old car , i tried apex not my idea of a good spring ride height looks good but thats about it ! thats my opinion anyway .

ST
Ali said:
Let Alan drive mine last nite, Basically to test the B&M. After a 20min drive we swapped cars. I jumped into his 182 with cup packs and Eibac pro's Instantly the handling was better, and the car was much sharper!!! But surely it can't all be down to the springs?!

My car was definetly quicker no doubt about it, pulled alot better through all gears, B&M is nicer too...(Cough cough** Group buy in the wated section!)

Just a bit pissed off really, Mine feels quite unstable and not that sharp, Will get it tracked soon, but the tyre wear is perfect which indicates normal caster and camber.

:( Whats the shout! Tyres are decent too. ESP was off on the 182 too.

Slight correction there chas...am on sportlines...

Yours pulls like a bloody train tho, power delivery meh sperm...

Get a set of sportlines on it and it'll be spot on!!

The B&M is p**n!!

ST
ant said:
apex on mine and its miles better than standard.

the turn in is a joy now!

I must disagree there mate sorry....the 172 on apex is as sloppy as Jenna Jameson's rat after a days filming!!

Alan said:
I must disagree there mate sorry....the 172 on apex is as sloppy as Jenna Jameson's rat after a days filming!!

sloppy?

erm no, i went from eibach to apex, and although the eibach are the better spring, the apex is a lot tighter than the eibach...

sloppy it certainly isnt.... harsh is the word you're looking for.

ant

yep.
Alan said:

*cough*bollox*cough*

fookin MILES better mate.

Clio Cup
Tom_S said:
Strange, as when i drive my mates 172 cup it felt miles better than my 182 cup, eats mine eveytime on pull away.

Feel exactly the same way. Throttle response in the 172 cup is far better, the 182 felt sluggish in comparison.

LY 200
They are better handling with the cup susp........Iv had plenty of bouts with a pals 172 and mine does better on the roundabouts and off onto the duals!!!

His is down 40mm too, on apex springs iirc.

Ali

V6, Trackhawk, GTS
The apex gear is very good, the ride in terms of harshness is bearable, if actually a tad uncomfortable.

It's just the lazy turn in and inaccuracy of the steering i don't like.

Steve

ClioSport Club Member
  ST3 8.5
Cup pack 182's handle better than FF 172's.
More precise, less body roll a lot more pointy.
& yes a could tell a difference in the 10 extra hp.

Ziel Nurburgring
Could be time for new shocks. Nik and me were talking about this as i was complaining about the car starting to be really sketchy at higher speeds, he said his was the same as it got older and might need the rear shocks changing (he thought it would make more sense to change his for a Trophy instead, lol).

If you're going to change, might as well invest in some quality gear. No idea what 4x Renault shocks will cost if you just wanted to try that.

Focus ST
Got sportlines on my 182, handles like a dream, gives me loads of confidence in corners. Even on Std shocks.

Also I'm sure someone might shoot me down here, isn't the 182's dimensions on the chasis slightly bigger. Which my account for the slight difference in handling...

Correcto. Wheel base slightly longer on 182 (poss wider track too). And of course 182 cup pack springs are even stiffer than those on 172cup (dunno if thats relevant here if cars being dicussed have uprated suspension)

Everyone knows the 182Cup is the best compromise;) Well mine is anyway. Seriously though, I would like to drive a 172Cup to compare.

Focus ST
Its all relevant, 182's are the best....LOL!! Only joking before people start setting their hair on fire...

Ali said:
The apex gear is very good, the ride in terms of harshness is bearable, if actually a tad uncomfortable.

It's just the lazy turn in and inaccuracy of the steering i don't like.

wouldn't worry, you have a Williams now if you want a handler ;)