ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

182 exhaust resonance

tiTTy & SV650

Anyone notice a resonant vibration type noise from the exhaust at about 2000 rpm in 5th?!

I was stuck behind a slow ass last night and noticed it... got 40mpg thanks to the slow ass too!

Tom

ClioSport Club Member
  EV (s)

well tbh its only the center section thats rubbish.

thats easily sorted for about £8. Bodgitsport exhaust conversion.

Or if you want to do it DIY

Airsaw/hacksaw, bit of mild steel pipe and a welder.

tiTTy & SV650

Quote: Originally posted by Tom on 19 February 2005

well tbh its only the center section thats rubbish.

thats easily sorted for about £8. Bodgitsport exhaust conversion.

Or if you want to do it DIY

Airsaw/hacksaw, bit of mild steel pipe and a welder.

Whats up with the centre section then?

Quote: Originally posted by Smokey on 19 February 2005
Standard system is w**k, w**k, w**k arghhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

Why?

tiTTy & SV650

I aint got the money to be buying new exhaust systems, especially not for a new car. If it explodes is it wear n tear or covered by warranty?

Tom

ClioSport Club Member
  EV (s)

Yes but it will happen again. and again and proabably again.

If you want to fix it for a longer period either:

Replace with aftermarket system (£280-£Thousands+ exhaust will be louder)
Cut off center section and replace with pipe (£5-£25+ this will make the exhaust louder)
Keep taking it to renault (£0 but hassle.)

dk

911 GTS Cab

guess im lucky so far as mine is fine at 18k (no doubt it will start blowing after I beat Lee down the strip tomorrow now I have said that!)

Lee

BMW M2C

I just hope mine holds together tomorrow. Its not got any worse over the last month, but it seems to over the last 2 days.

Snow permitting tomorrow David.

dk

911 GTS Cab

Quote: Originally posted by Lee on 19 February 2005
I just hope mine holds together tomorrow. Its not got any worse over the last month, but it seems to over the last 2 days.

Snow permitting tomorrow David.

ah, I see, the excuses are already starting, snow is no reason to pull out!;)

tiTTy & SV650

Shight, my exhaust seems to be a bit noisier than it was after 14k...

Maybe get renault to fix it the first time and if it happens again get a tube welded in.

Those pics arent a fix thats a total bodge, Id demand a new exhaust!

Quote: Originally posted by rory182 on 19 February 2005

Shight, my exhaust seems to be a bit noisier than it was after 14k...

Maybe get renault to fix it the first time and if it happens again get a tube welded in.

Those pics arent a fix thats a total bodge, Id demand a new exhaust!

it wouldnt matter if they gave you a new exhaust (which they wont, they will only replace the bit thats gone), the exhaust will be joined in the same way as lees and mine, as the original is a one piece system, and the replacement comes in parts so it will fit over rear beam

Tom

ClioSport Club Member
  EV (s)

Its not actually a "total bodge" they have just used far to much exhaust paste.

They did the same to me too. Twice.

Lees should be blowing at the point where the cat is fixed to the center section with the clamp with two bolts, it just needs adjusting. (or it could have cracked the cat like mine)

Lee

BMW M2C

Quote: Originally posted by 182_blue on 19 February 2005
Quote: Originally posted by Lee on 19 February 2005Mine lasted 9k miles.

They fitted a new centre section, very badly. Its now blowing and is back in next week.

See these pictures for how they repair it!!

http://erc.qmuc.ac.uk/cliosport/gallery/full/1103141965__exhaust3.jpgPic 1 http://erc.qmuc.ac.uk/cliosport/gallery/full/1103141924__exhaust2.jpgPic 2 http://erc.qmuc.ac.uk/cliosport/gallery/full/1103141923__exhaust1.jpgPic 3whats blowing on it lee

Funny you should ask that because since the work was done Ive not actually bothered to check. Renault Brum told me it was blowing and badly fitted at the service.

I got underneath this afternoon and its the join at the rear thats blowing.

Funny you should ask that because since the work was done Ive not actually bothered to check. Renault Brum told me it was blowing and badly fitted at the service.

oh ??, well i was told by renault that they cant stop it leaking !!, thats what they do LOL

Lee

BMW M2C

Quote: Originally posted by Tom on 19 February 2005
Join at the rear?WTF! just do it up its a sleeve.

Im not getting under the car to put right something a so called professional did. Im too lazy and its bloody cold out there.

Considering it took them a whole morning to fit it, and even then I had to go straight back and have it refitted, it cant be that simple? It seemed that to get a good seal meant the exhaust sat wrong under the car. They cant seem to find a good balance.

Lee

BMW M2C

Quote: Originally posted by 182_blue on 19 February 2005

oh ??, well i was told by renault that they cant stop it leaking !!, thats what they do LOL

If they say that to me Im jumping the counter and inserting the entire system systematically up each one of their arseholes!!

Tom

ClioSport Club Member
  EV (s)

Well you saw what i had to do to get mine to seal.

I doubt anyone will be doing that.

Lee

BMW M2C

I avoided all this with the 172 by getting a full Magnex system but Im not touching the 182, its staying standard.

Tom

ClioSport Club Member
  EV (s)

Well you wont have it long enough to worry.

But if you keep it £2000000 says its binned.

Lee

BMW M2C

Yeah, its going at around 12 months old most likely.

Looked at CTRs and still dont like them. I also looked at Elise and VX220s but the insurance on the Elise was silly money. That was for cars around £17k.

So I provided the sums add up Ill chop this one in for a new one.

yeh i have been thinking about a new car, but i really don tknow what to do, i have toyed with the idea of a new 182, but i have lost my f&f contact

Lee

BMW M2C

Id not do it without a F & F, Id be throwing away what I saved on this one.

No matter what I look at I cant find anything brand new which does what the Clio does. It entertains me every time I drive it.

Obviously an Elise or VX would be a year or two old.