ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

182 v GrandePunto Sporting - FiatForum

MCS R56
Sounds like Alex got shot down!

Those Fiat's handle like pig $hit. They are quick in gear but no match for the Clio.

Still fighting his corner tho! They are piss poor handling, nippy with a remap though. should be getting mine remapped in the new year, though mines only a 1.3 mjet

White R26/Stripped Valver
*A reconstruction of the 182 drivers pushing really hard*

:race:

Guy was obviously on crack at the time...

ChrisR

ClioSport Club Member
"or the straight's mines been remapped so thats why it keeps up."

I find it laughable that people go on about how x beats y, then say ofh yeah mines modified.

Also find it odd about the comment about the Trophy having loads mor egrip than the 182. Yeah they are better but not that big a difference I thought...

ST170
That's true, but although a 182 is undoubtedly faster you would need a fair bit more difference in bhp for it to really tell on the road.

e60 M5 -172- dciheid
i had a shot of the 130 gps and it was good in gear with the torque, but handling was pretty average imo

That video is a joke. It looks like they're just filming a 197 chilling while they slowly accelerate away.
182 driver's must have been teasing or something because there's no way the Punto could keep up anywhere.

FN2 Type R +MK6 Golf
You have to laugh sometimes at people on different forums,they totally believe they have bought the best car ever and will defend it to the death

Oh wait a minute thats on here...lol

Ford Fiesta ST2
Still fighting his corner tho! They are piss poor handling, nippy with a remap though. should be getting mine remapped in the new year, though mines only a 1.3 mjet

Thats an interesting post, I imagine yours isn't the same, thats like comparing a 1.2 clio with the 182's. Different set ups totally.

But anyway I am just stating what I found. The GP does get a slating from people as it's not got the reputation for handling like the 182's, but I was very suprised with what I found. I know this will mean nothing on this forum and I am waiting to be slagged off expectedly, but am I really bothered?! It would stand it's own against the 182's.

Steve

ClioSport Club Member
  ST3 8.5
I think the lack of responses on this subject sums it up well.............

Oh & bull & s**t!!!!

Thats an interesting post, I imagine yours isn't the same, thats like comparing a 1.2 clio with the 182's. Different set ups totally.

But anyway I am just stating what I found. The GP does get a slating from people as it's not got the reputation for handling like the 182's, but I was very suprised with what I found. I know this will mean nothing on this forum and I am waiting to be slagged off expectedly, but am I really bothered?! It would stand it's own against the 182's.

I test drove a sporting recently hence my comment on the piss poor handling. My comment on the remaps is purely based on the general feedback of fiatforum.com

RS 172Cup(SOLD); R26 Meg
my sisters Fiat Panda 1.3 Diesel Own'd my 172 Cup LOL

I was so ashamed i had to sell it an buy a R26 Megane just to keep up.

go Fiat :p

on a serious note; your post on the Fiat forum is only your opinion and you are entitled to it. If you believe your Car is as fast as a 182 or Trophy good for you. However i'd be asking for a half hour go in one of your mates cars to see if your opinion stays the same afterwards.

Keep on Trucking.....

Having driven a GPS130 and then getting back into my 172 and doing the same journey, the GPS isn't far off the pace, and in gear will go from 60-100 nearly as quick I reckon. But, 0-100, it doesn't keep up. And even though it's not bad round corners, the Clio is in a different league.

Nippy white cup
oh nooo.....not the old 'in gear' arguement again. I admit that in a decent turbo diesel the turbo grunt pulling you out of bends is great and it would seem like you weren't having to try to get a good pace out of it. In the clio you might be changing down more to get the full benefit from it but IMO (and I haven't driven an M jet) apart from in gear I would say the clio would be quicker all ends up.

Chris

I posted this on the Fiat website:

I sold my GP 1.9 JTD Sporting in September and bought a Clio 197 - not sure I've changed my signature yet!? I've had pretty much all the Renault hot hatches since the Clio 16V, but fell for the GP before the 197 was on sale.

I had my GP for over a year and there's no doubt that it was a respectably quick car in certain circumstances, especially in "normal" driving where flexibility is key. But there's no question that a Renaultsport 197, 182, 172 etc is a quicker car.

As an example: with 3 passengers aboard, I found that my GP was able to match a 180bhp Audi TT through the gears after I'd held it behind and let the revs drop right down to 2,000rpm :devil:. But, in a proper dual carriageway assult against some boggo 2.0 petrol rep-mobiles, I found that the GP was only just keeping pace! :confused: There's no question that my 197 now (which is closer to 172 than 182 pace) dispenses with anything like that...should I be able to drop a gear or three!

Handling is a very personal thing, but most would agree that although the grip of the GP is really good, the Renaultsport cars have far more fluidity and feedback - where the GP can be unsettled and harsh. But I guess the Abarth addresses this; the GP would muller a Clio DCi Dynamique!!

I made the move back to the Renaultsport fold because 45+mpg wasn't much use to me when I only do 8k miles a year and wanted some induction gargle at 7,000rpm! But I'd find it very hard to argue with anyone choosing the GP as a swift and able all-rounder in the face of a daily commute or as a company car. :cool:

I posted this on the Fiat website:

I sold my GP 1.9 JTD Sporting in September and bought a Clio 197 - not sure I've changed my signature yet!? I've had pretty much all the Renault hot hatches since the Clio 16V, but fell for the GP before the 197 was on sale.

I had my GP for over a year and there's no doubt that it was a respectably quick car in certain circumstances, especially in "normal" driving where flexibility is key. But there's no question that a Renaultsport 197, 182, 172 etc is a quicker car.

As an example: with 3 passengers aboard, I found that my GP was able to match a 180bhp Audi TT through the gears after I'd held it behind and let the revs drop right down to 2,000rpm :devil:. But, in a proper dual carriageway assult against some boggo 2.0 petrol rep-mobiles, I found that the GP was only just keeping pace! :confused: There's no question that my 197 now (which is closer to 172 than 182 pace) dispenses with anything like that...should I be able to drop a gear or three!

Handling is a very personal thing, but most would agree that although the grip of the GP is really good, the Renaultsport cars have far more fluidity and feedback - where the GP can be unsettled and harsh. But I guess the Abarth addresses this; the GP would muller a Clio DCi Dynamique!!

I made the move back to the Renaultsport fold because 45+mpg wasn't much use to me when I only do 8k miles a year and wanted some induction gargle at 7,000rpm! But I'd find it very hard to argue with anyone choosing the GP as a swift and able all-rounder in the face of a daily commute or as a company car. :cool:

I knew I recognised that username on the fiatforum! Incase anyone hasnt guessed I am StuMac1985 on there...

Golf R soon...
I used to be on that forum, with my old puntos! :) Good bunch they are :) My forum name was Dazza.

On another note, my friend at work has...or should I say had a 130bhp Grande sporting, great looking car by the way...anyway, we live in the same town so usually drive home together sometimes, he usual trys it on with me...

...One day he decided to boot it off a roundabout on the way home, so I gave chase! Like you said, in gear not a slow motor by any means by as soon as the clio got in its rev range I soon caught him up! and I ain't the best driver by a long way!

so moral of the story is the dude that created the thread on the Fiat forum is a deluded maniac who dreamt the whole thing up to justify his purchase which he's probably disapointed with?

GW Clio 200

what would anyone want a clio for over a diesel fiat? fiats got better handling, faster in a st. line, better MPG - GO FIAT!!!

on a serious note, what a load of bollox mate. go have a go in one of your mates cars - PLEASE