ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

182 vs ST

I wouldn't even want to rev a 182 much past 6000rpm in all honesty. Feels rougher than a bag of rusty chisels after 6500.

Clio 172 Cup Mondial
sorry what? idiots peak power is from 4.8k to 6.8k so you change gear when you hit 6.8k to stay above 4.8k in the next gear. if you drive fast might as well shift properly? and no it doesn't my 182 comes on song at 5k...

Peak power could be 9000. Doesn't change the fact that the F4R doesn't really rev too well above 6500. Not in the 182 at least. Better in the 197/200.

Astra SRI/ Hornet
I wouldn't even want to rev a 182 much past 6000rpm in all honesty. Feels rougher than a bag of rusty chisels after 6500.

Yours must of been broken then. Never had a problem Revving any Cliosport to the redline. Maybe you had a bag of rusty chisels under your bonnet. Lol

Christopher

ClioSport Club Member
  Z4M
Peak power could be 9000. Doesn't change the fact that the F4R doesn't really rev too well above 6500. Not in the 182 at least. Better in the 197/200.

Much better, yeah. Mine isn't worth bothering with unless you stir it past 7k.

So much so, i've resorted to driving everywhere like this, just in case.

In completely unrelated news, Renault do not honour warranty when they can change the clutch by bleeding it out in liquid form.

TTRS, 172 Cup track
Funy thread, truth of the matter is the fiesta ST is a young drivers car who cant yet afford a proper hot hatch. They are so slowwwww.

Yours must of been broken then. Never had a problem Revving any Cliosport to the redline. Maybe you had a bag of rusty chisels under your bonnet. Lol

TBH I didn't ever have a 'problem' revving it to 7000rpm in my 182. It just wasn't very smooth or rewarding in that zone. Very rough sounding and buzzy. Not in the same league as something from Honda. In fact my turbo car revs faster and sweeter (not to mention higher) than my 182 did.

Astra SRI/ Hornet
TBH I didn't ever have a 'problem' revving it to 7000rpm in my 182. It just wasn't very smooth or rewarding in that zone. Very rough sounding and buzzy. Not in the same league as something from Honda. In fact my turbo car revs faster and sweeter (not to mention higher) than my 182 did.

​i think it's just the type of engine it is. I think the f4r was perfect for the Clio. My honda revs to 14k ; )

​i think it's just the type of engine it is. I think the f4r was perfect for the Clio.

Oh yeah don't get mew wrong. I loved it at the time, but let's be honest, a 182 with a Civic Type R engine & box would probably have been pretty close to perfection (with a decent driving position and proper steering wheel thrown in)

Someone on here recently posted something about the F4R being under-square (I'm sure many engines are) which means higher piston speeds per crank revolution, which means limited ability to go full-vtec. It's perhaps interesting that the same engine in Clio III feels so much more refined and eager to spin without feeling like it's about to throw a rod. Perhaps improved engine mounts? Lighter pistons?

rs clio 182
ive beat a focus st in my 182 n a few fiesta sts too a mate of mine has a fiesta st500 n he cant keep up either so id say 182 defiantly faster

Clio 172 Cup Mondial
182 may not actually have the acclaimed 182horses. but it certainly puts what is has down well on the tarmac!

RDH

ClioSport Club Member
There are some proper tards in this thread.

Drive both, decide what you like, buy one. Nobody really cares which is faster.

The Chubby Pirate

ClioSport Club Member
  Golf R
040202d.jpg

Attachments

• 040202d.jpg
    040202d.jpg
    69.5 KB · Views: 51

The Chubby Pirate

ClioSport Club Member
  Golf R
Oh it is, it's of a better quality product in terms of build. Dat' gearbox etc.

However, to the untrained eye - you're trolling like a bad ass.

Z4
My brothers ST.
fb6475a22adfc5ec2ea92a39066c8dbc.jpg

Im convincing him to get the ST wheels!

RDH summarised this thread well, some mongs in here getting very confused with Clarkson syndrome.

The st is a very good car for what it is. It's built sufficiently, handles well, and its quick enough to have some fun in. As stated earlier in the thread, the Clio is a better car to drive when driven in anger, but not everyone's main priority in a car is driver involvement, some like cars where the steering wheel isn't made of recycled liquorice.

Gally

Formerly Mashed up egg in a cup
ClioSport Club Member
Agreed Daniel. I want an Frp lowered on 16" 2118s! Or any 16s. Damn brakes too big!

TTRS, 172 Cup track
LOL, yet on average they probably cost twice what a 1*2 does?!

​What a load of sh*t

LMAO learn how to read what I actually wrote and not what you want to think I wrote. Nowhere did I mention the clio.

The Fiesta ST isnt a proper hot hatch and they are slow. Im talking Focus RS, Megane RS, Golf GTI, Cupra R, s3. Those are proper hothatches.

The clio 1 and 2's are really old now, anyone can afford one, just like most other 11 year old cars.

M2 Comp
LMAO learn how to read what I actually wrote and not what you want to think I wrote. Nowhere did I mention the clio.

The Fiesta ST isnt a proper hot hatch and they are slow. Im talking Focus RS, Megane RS, Golf GTI, Cupra R, s3. Those are proper hothatches.

The clio 1 and 2's are really old now, anyone can afford one, just like most other 11 year old cars.

Sorry, you never mentioned you were comparing the ST to 20k+ hot hatches.... there was me thinking the OP had asked about the 182 vs ST.

iceberg phase 2 172
fiesta ST is not a bad car , but not AS quick as a 182 , theres a white 1 by me , looks very nice indeed , has the mountune 185 kit but got left by a saxo vts , plus im sure their alot more to run on juice than a 172/182 ?

M2 Comp
fiesta ST is not a bad car , but not AS quick as a 182 , theres a white 1 by me , looks very nice indeed , has the mountune 185 kit but got left by a saxo vts , plus im sure their alot more to run on juice than a 172/182 ?

Yes - the 172/182 is a fair bit better on fuel IME. I could never really maintain above 30mpg in the ST, but the 182 seems to do 37/38mpg with ease.

iceberg phase 2 172
No way a mountune kitted ST would be left by a VTS. The saxo might keep with it but no way would it 'leave it'.
genuine , the driver of the st even admitted it , he was pretty pissed off as he now thinks maybe it isnt the 185 kit lol . i dont know what mods were on the saxo though , they had 2 blasts , 1 down a bypass ans the 2nd up a long straight hill and he couldnt get near the saxo

TTRS, 172 Cup track
Sorry, you never mentioned you were comparing the ST to 20k+ hot hatches.... there was me thinking the OP had asked about the 182 vs ST.

Again, perhaps reading and actually digesting what someones writing might help to you get further in life.

I said the ST is owned by those who cant afford a proper hothatch, ie the 20k ones.

Oh and just for good measure, I paid 17.8k for my brand new Cupra K1 in 2009.

The ST in all measurers, is a young boys car.

The Chubby Pirate

ClioSport Club Member
  Golf R
genuine , the driver of the st even admitted it , he was pretty pissed off as he now thinks maybe it isnt the 185 kit lol . i dont know what mods were on the saxo though , they had 2 blasts , 1 down a bypass ans the 2nd up a long straight hill and he couldnt get near the saxo

Ah so the Saxo was modified?

I'd be dubious over the ST having the 185 kit then, they go exceptionally well when up and above 170bhp. We had an ST a few years ago with 190bhp and it absolutley flew. Had a VTS briefly at the same time - the Fiesta was a fair bit quicker (i'm a VTS fan boy!)

The Chubby Pirate

ClioSport Club Member
  Golf R
Again, perhaps reading and actually digesting what someones writing might help to you get further in life.

I said the ST is owned by those who cant afford a proper hothatch, ie the 20k ones.

Oh and just for good measure, I paid 17.8k for my brand new Cupra K1 in 2009.

The ST in all measurers, is a young boys car.

LOL!!!

That is just brilliant.