ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

197/200 Gearboxes...

Audi (R)S2, 1.6 16v
Been considering a 197 or 200 of late but the gearboxes are causing me concern. Is there a fix for the weak 'box or is there a tried and tested replacement for them that solves the dairylea OE 6 speed? As far as I can tell, the rest of the car is a solid prospect but the dark cloud of a £500-1000 bill for the 'box has soured the taste a little...

When the early 197s came out the gearboxes were made of chocolate. The cup box has a longer 6th ratio and was supposed to be a bit stronger. So much so that later non cup 197s had this box and so did the 200.

Unfortunately buying a late 197 or a 200 doesn't guarantee a solid box but it could reduce the chances of it going bang. Quite a few would have had a new box under warranty and this may be a good thing to look for as a buyer.

In summary, it’s potluck.

I should have added, had my 197 Cup for 2 years, the release bearing on the clutch has gone and the gearbox has gotten louder but there are none of the dreaded crunches so seems ok!

Megane R26
It's total pot luck. My 75k F1 still had the original box with no issues yet some guys with 200s are on their third box.

Pug 206 SW, 172 CUP
Difficulty is finding out which ones are down to the box being a bad 'un and not from someone deciding it's a good idea to flat shift a road car gearbox. Some people think they aren't hard on gearboxes and clutches but I wouldn't want to be re-reincarnated as their drive chain.

It's this that makes it hard to be sure that the later boxes were any better.

Gaz_

ClioSport Club Member
  Extreme mode
When the early 197s came out the gearboxes were made of chocolate. The cup box has a longer 6th ratio and was supposed to be a bit stronger. So much so that later non cup 197s had this box and so did the 200.

Unfortunately buying a late 197 or a 200 doesn't guarantee a solid box but it could reduce the chances of it going bang. Quite a few would have had a new box under warranty and this may be a good thing to look for as a buyer.

In summary, it’s potluck.

Thats not correct, they are all suspect, in fact you'll probably find the early TL4 003 boxes are the best. Supposedly Only the very last 200 had a updated part, the gearbox code for that is TL4 S20 (s for synchro?!)

I've previously had an early 197 back in 2008 and did 40k in it with no issues. That's with TL4 003

My current 197 cup ive had since 2010, and done 30k and it started crunching last year. That's a longer ratio TL4 24 unit.

Gaz_

ClioSport Club Member
  Extreme mode
I'm not even 100% sure the last 200 with the s coded gearbox has an updated part. It's a very strong rumour but I've never seen concrete evidence of the updated part in question. Maybe Renault don't want to admit liability? ;)

Audi (R)S2, 1.6 16v
Cheers for the replies, although it does indeed seem like pot luck...

Is there a company that rebuilds them stronger or a different box that can be used in place?

I'd use the car for track days and doubt it would stay stock for long...

Martin_172

ClioSport Club Member
The boxes are fine they just don't stand up to people with no mechanical sympathy as well as others, worst case if its on its way out have it rebuilt and look after it and you will never have any issues again. You never hear of issues with the same box in the dci 106 as they are not thrashed through gears like your filming a scene from the fast and the furious!!

Westfield, 182, 200
My 200 was owned by a 60 year old who mainly did motorway miles, it had a new box at 60k miles when the car was just over 2 years old.
Bottom swivels on the front hubs go too, £200 a side unless you can get the swivels replaced in the ally casting.
Wifes 58 plate 197 has 60k miles with no gearbox issues!!

Knuckles

ClioSport Admin
I've had mine just over two years now, it's on 50 odd thousand miles with (touch wood) no issues.

Match revs and you'll be reet... And you'll sound like a race car driver and passers by will stop and say 'look at how awesome that race car driver is, son!'