ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

197 Cup refresh begins

First of all, I suppose I should write up the story so far. So I ordered my 197 Cup June 2008 and finally took delivery of it on 18th September 2008. Here she is at the dealer before final checks were and before the spoiler was fitted:

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

5.jpg

Then a few pictures of her once I had collected it:

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

Then came the first few modifications, which tbh are pretty unimpressive:
Motorsport stickers
7.jpg

I then painted the lettering on the cup spoiler end caps white
8.jpg

Added a Recaro sticker to the passenger seat subframe
9.jpg

Then came some 'carbon' wrap on the diamonds and a 'Tow' Sticker'
_3235066.jpg

_3235069.jpg

Fitted a small aerial
a.jpg

Replaced the Tow Sticker with a CF effect one
b.jpg

Dressed the engine:
engine.jpg

Then replaced the original Spoiler end caps with some genuine pre-preg carbon items they are very high quality carbon, but are only in clear coat, so have a more matte effect. Still not decided if I want to lacquer them or not:
tips.jpg

Then came the latest and last modification to the cup for this stage of its life, the controversial R27 style graphics:

_3295088.jpg

_3295089.jpg

_3295093.jpg

_3295095.jpg

_3295096.jpg

So now after 12 months of ownership and having got a bit more focused on the direction I want to take things, I am making starts towards a big change cosmetically, and then this will lead onto the things a little more than cosmetic ;)

So as some of you may have seen already, I bought a spare wheel to have a go at refurbishing, and this was the result:

wheel1small.jpg

This leads me to where we are now.

I recently picked up 3 more wheels from SteBurns, two pretty good condition in silver and one kerbed in black. All the decals are going to be removed to take it back to a fresh start. The carbon fibre wrap will be removed and then as this thread progresses the new styling bits will be revealed.

So for those still reading, progress on the refurb. As I said I got 3 more wheels, and I am doing them one at a time for ease as spare time is limited. The first one I picked up to refurb is one of the silver ones which after picking it up and giving it a quick clean looked like this:

1.jpg

and a close up of one of the very few small little marks, which will come out during the refub, most of them have been removed already.

2.jpg

So after cleaning and drying the wheel I began to prep it for painting. I gave the inside of wheel a quick rub down with a low number grit (I cant remember which now) as I am not too concerned over the finish on the inside of the wheel. I then rubbed down the front. First with a pass over of 400grit wet and dry, which left me with this:

3.jpg

Next was a second pass with wet and dry, but this time with 800 grit to give a much smoother finish ready for the primer, which leaves me with this:

4.jpg

Thats as far as I have got for now. I bought the required Grey primer and Capsicum paint on my way home tonight and so over the next few days (weather dependant, unless i make room in my shed) I will start painting this wheel and then move onto the other 2 wheels. So i will update the thread with pictures of this wheel as I go and then the black wheel next as it looks like it will need more work than this one, so might be a slightly more interesting read. lol

Oh and if you got this far, you deserve a medal tbh.

Good thing I'm changing it then ;)

All decals are being removed, and may be replaced with something a bit different.

Mondeo TDCI 130
Going to keep my eye on this, Looked mint when you picked it up!

Also liking the red wheel!

Just a quickie, what is that aerial off? and does the spoiler miss it? Not overly impressed that mine hits the bloody spoiler! lol.

What back to standard or replacing?

You defo need that touch up;)

Decals may be replaced with something else, time will tell.

why have you got the battery cut off stickers?

Was a 'track' look. They will probably be coming off to.

Going to keep my eye on this, Looked mint when you picked it up!

Also liking the red wheel!

Just a quickie, what is that aerial off? and does the spoiler miss it? Not overly impressed that mine hits the bloody spoiler! lol.

Cant remember what the aerial was off now, think it might have been a C2 or something like that. Misses the aerial but is shite reception.

Ben

ClioSport Club Member
Only thing I don't like is the tow sticker and the 2 on the bonnet but apart from that it looks sweet :)

172 5HED
Looks good! Be good to see the wheels on, lose the dcals though!!

For aerial Q's I have a mazda MPS, fits the best of the lot!

Just ordered some more bits, should be here by the weekend hopefully! Wont be able to fit untill I can get onto my drive though :(

BREMBO

ClioSport Club Member
  V6 Mk1, Golf GTI Mk5
Very nice although I think I liked it more when you first bought it

Barge
Really like the red wheels. I think they'd suit it well. White, red, black. Mizin' combo. However the R27-a-like stickers suck. Looks far cleaner without them.

Really like the red wheels. I think they'd suit it well. White, red, black. Mizin' combo. However the R27-a-like stickers suck. Looks far cleaner without them.

theduck said:
All the decals are going to be removed to take it back to a fresh start. The carbon fibre wrap will be removed and then as this thread progresses the new styling bits will be revealed.

Good thing I'm changing it then ;)

All decals are being removed, and may be replaced with something a bit different.

Decals may be replaced with something else, time will tell.

:star:

Quick update. Have cleaned the two other wheels ready for sanding back and this is how they look.

5.jpg

Only a small mark on this one
6.jpg

The black one isnt such good condition
7.jpg

8.jpg

9.jpg

10.jpg

I have also primered the inside of the wheel I had prep'd and done the first coat of primer on the face of the wheel so it currently looks like this:

11.jpg

Will be going back out in a minute to put the second coat of primer on and begin the prep on the other two wheels so probably update again a bit later on.

EDIT: I havent masked off the valve on this wheel because its going to be replaced when the tires are fitted so didnt see the point.

Thanks for looking

Clio mk3 1.2 Extreme
Think the red and white combo will look ace. Think it will look even better if there's no stickers the car all. Seems a bit tacky imo.

I forgot it was my nieces Birthday so I havent had as much time to work on this as I wanted today. I've put final coats of primer on the first wheel, so thats ready for paint tomorrow and currently looks like this:

12.jpg

So when I got back from seeing my niece I set about starting to prep the black wheel, which as you can see above is quite badly damaged. Add to this that however they have been re-finished in black (not sure if Ste had them painted or powdercoated) the coating is as hard as a hard thing feeling particularly tough. So correcting the damage and getting it prep'd has been hard going. Infact it still needs a going over another couple times to get it ready for primer.

First step was to rub down the very worst bits with 40 grit and then to moved onto 80 grit to on the bits already rubbed down with 40 and the less servely damaged areas. After this I rubbed down all over with 400 grit, I wish I had started with a slightly lower grit because the finish as I said above is very tough, but I gave it a good going over and will go over it again with 400 grit before moving on to 800 grit to improve the finish ready for primer. So anyway this is how its looking at the moment. Excuse the poor photo, I dont have a flash at the moment so had to use a very long shutter.

13.jpg

Hopefully tomorrow will bring interesting photos.

clio 197 r27
looks smart mate, red and white go together so well. the r27 stickers d look a bit hmmmm tbh. overall doing a nice tidy job..

SQ5
Car looks great, I think those decals in red would look great with the red wheels! Unless as said earlier your going for an R27.R sticker :p

Always good to see a new car being modded too :)

Can't post one fitted as renault being tight didn't put a jack in cups. Also car is on the street at the moment untill i get the gates on my drive sorted.

So, all in good time. ;-)