ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

197 cup - tempting or not?

MG ZS180 Mk2
And since those were taken (day 1) I have added a R27 badge on the left side of the boot.

Will do some more one day

200 cup (van blanc)
the things thats tempting me is mainly handling. any idiot can drive fast in a straight line, its more about the twisty stuff imo. the brakes on the 197 look and probably are far better, and im told they handle a lot better?

i think a test drive is in order.

VERY TRUE

i have a cup on order, still no mention of kerb weight on the website! but i'm not too bothered anyway, should be a lovely little rocket that handles like a dream!

Ultra Red Megane 225
the things thats tempting me is mainly handling. any idiot can drive fast in a straight line, its more about the twisty stuff imo. the brakes on the 197 look and probably are far better, and im told they handle a lot better?

i think a test drive is in order.

VERY TRUE

i have a cup on order, still no mention of kerb weight on the website! but i'm not too bothered anyway, should be a lovely little rocket that handles like a dream!
hope so. keep me informed of what you think mate as im seriously considering chopping in the 172.....

ST
Well I have done 570 miles in my R27 (no 375) and coming straight from a 182, I can make a good comparison.

I can honestly say, the R27 goes round bends faster and seems to be faster on the straights than my 182.
Maybe, my 182 wasn't run in very well but I have run the R27 in very well and not hung about like an old fart doing 3800rpm etc (but not going over 5-6k).

It feels more 'fizzy' than the 182, prob cos of the shorter gear ratios.
I have a sharp bend near where I work and in my Fiesta ST, I would go 45mph, the 182 - 40mph and the R27, well, even in this weather I am just under 50mph as I go round it and not even scared!
I also have a short stretch of DC and in the 182, I could just hit 100 (kph - I think I am reading the right dial ;o) ) before braking and I just done that in the R27 without going over 6500rpm and had time to coast for a few milliseconds before braking.

The only thing I miss from the 182 is, erm, erm, err, nothing. Not even the Xenons.

At the end of the day though I don't care if people prefer the 1*2 or not.

I like cheese and crisp sandwiches (with no butter) but lots of people prefer ham. I am not going to go on a sandwich forum to defend my decision.
I only buy things because I like them, not because everyone else does.

Couldn't agree more matey...

I went from a FF Black Gold to my Ultra Red R27...the only thing i do actually miss is the xenons..

The leather, climate and auto wipers you can keep, i'm not just saying that because i dont have in the R27, i'd have my recaro's and brembo's over that stuff anyday..

The 197 cup suspension is also very planted and can corner much faster than my 182 with cup suspension ever could..

People only hate on the 197 in whatever variant as it handles better, has more road presence and its probably hurting resale on their MK2..

Having driven an R27 around Brands Hatch, the 197 Cup is tempting to me.
You know want one Mark! ;)

I have to say the more I drive my R27, the more impressed I am with it.
It's such a nice car, extremely well made, almost feels like a german built car, build quality is a almost light years ahead than my old 182 was. Handling is amazing, seriously it's amazing - stops on a sixpence. Sounds lovely and it certainly likes to rev and rev hard. I think I got an absolute bargain and it looks the business. Only thing that sucks is 25mpg and 103p a litre for super unleaded. :(
220491971-M.jpg

Turbo LY R27
I'd still go for a trophy, the R27 didn't even make it into Evo coty, Trophy came 3rd (or 4th) a couple of years ago.

I love the way people like YOU think EVO is the bible when it comes to road tests and because the R27 wasn't in ECOTY you won't buy one, deary me..

If you've driven one fair play but if not you can't judge...

Damm right, i got a 182 and it does feel a bit more raw than the 197 but i pick my LY R27 up on monday and it feels like like a much more balanced car and the engine is still really grunty seems to rev much easier. When the 197s get older and the engine has actually had time to settle in, there will be a difference. My 182 is at 27k and feels so much better than wen i bought it with 9k on, much more responsive and free revving. Give the 197 a chance before you shoot it down. I think they are 2 different cars to be honest. Any 197 with some engine mods would be an animal especilly with the grip on it!!!:cool:
You no u love them deep down really! LOL:rasp:

ForceIndia

ClioSport Club Member
  Gentlemans spec 200
I love the way people like YOU think EVO is the bible when it comes to road tests and because the R27 wasn't in ECOTY you won't buy one, deary me..

If you've driven one fair play but if not you can't judge...

Damm right, i got a 182 and it does feel a bit more raw than the 197 but i pick my LY R27 up on monday and it feels like like a much more balanced car and the engine is still really grunty seems to rev much easier. When the 197s get older and the engine has actually had time to settle in, there will be a difference. My 182 is at 27k and feels so much better than wen i bought it with 9k on, much more responsive and free revving. Give the 197 a chance before you shoot it down. I think they are 2 different cars to be honest. Any 197 with some engine mods would be an animal especilly with the grip on it!!!:cool:
You no u love them deep down really! LOL:rasp:

That's my point, too much grip!! Faster isn't always better, it's why I prefer my Rallye over my 1*2's, much less grip and loads of oversteer:cool:.

Turbo LY R27
That's my point, too much grip!! Faster isn't always better, it's why I prefer my Rallye over my 1*2's, much less grip and loads of oversteer:cool:.[/quote]

Fair play, it is fun with cars that aint quite so perfect. but i do love the direct handleing of the clio, def gotta get mine at silverstone next year. Took my 182 there this summer, wicked on the track, see if the r27 is better next summer! :cool:

FN2 Type R +MK6 Golf
I would be tempted as long as its white.

The main thing for me is the handling.Around bedford the R27 beat the trophy by over 2 secs a lap

Black 197
we can all choose to read the magazine that loves our cars, and skip past the ones that slate them. its the buyers that make the decision and im sure at some point all rs models have been some mags favourite

Unless everyone spends more time on track than they do on road, I find it funny that some people engage seriously in talk of laptimes that may or may not have even been set on the same day. Wasn't the 182Cup faster around their circuit than the Trophy? Does that mean the 182Cup is faster or better than the Trophy? ;)

i know the 197 will have brakes that actually work, but what does everyone else think of them?
172/182 brakes worksuperbly though?? Brakes are good in them though should be there from a even more powerful car.
197 isn`t as quick as 172, believe me. From 0 to about 45mph it even isn`t any faster than Clio 1.8 16v.
The 197 is as quick as a 172 or 182 they do aneed a few miles to loosen up though.

Proven.

197 look and probably are far better, and im told they handle a lot better?
You need to define better.
197 is a better all round car than the Trophy, but a better hot-hatch? No chance.
efine why its better for me the Trophy is the worst of the 182/172 versions.
Trophy must of had the handbrake on for this to happen
I think they did say the trophy was tested in the wet of was down on power/tye grip I think plus different circuit make a difference.

FN2 Type R +MK6 Golf
Unless everyone spends more time on track than they do on road, I find it funny that some people engage seriously in talk of laptimes that may or may not have even been set on the same day. Wasn't the 182Cup faster around their circuit than the Trophy? Does that mean the 182Cup is faster or better than the Trophy? ;)

There the same car really so could go either way,and there are good and bad versions of each car

Black Gold with cup packs
I can honestly say that when I get my Glacier white 197 cup with recaros and black speedlie wheels it will have FAR FAR more road presence than a 172, 182 cup trophy or otherwise, and as for comparing the car to a valver? Who actually slams there cars around everywhere anyway? I would prefer to be seen in a 197 than any of the above, we are not all racing drivers either so why do 0-60. 0-100 times matter so much anyway?
As long as its quick enough to get you out of trouble, and you don't drive it like a complete t**t to get you into trouble does it really matter?
Don't race in the streets, you are not all in the Fast and Furious.

Clio 200FF Cup RB
I can honestly say that when I get my Glacier white 197 cup with recaros and black speedlie wheels it will have FAR FAR more road presence than a 172, 182 cup trophy or otherwise, and as for comparing the car to a valver? Who actually slams there cars around everywhere anyway? I would prefer to be seen in a 197 than any of the above, we are not all racing drivers either so why do 0-60. 0-100 times matter so much anyway?
As long as its quick enough to get you out of trouble, and you don't drive it like a complete tw*t to get you into trouble does it really matter?

Ok, looks like everybody got the impression that I`ve said that a valver is a better car then a 197, even tho what I`ve said is, that 197 isn`t that quick, as some of you are saying. Don`t get me wrong, I would love to have a R27 or anyother 197, but the difference in the acceleration isn`t that big between a valver and 197. This doesn`t mean that I race on the streets or anything like that, because I don`t!

Gaz_

ClioSport Club Member
  Extreme mode
spa0015ja8.jpg

^Nice bar the exhaust, Milltek? Looks wrong. I really want a 197, need to save the pennies for a change next year :)

Gaz_

ClioSport Club Member
  Extreme mode
As long as its quick enough to get you out of trouble, and you don't drive it like a complete tw*t to get you into trouble does it really matter?

Spot on. I cant wait to see the pics when you get it :approve:

FN2 Type R +MK6 Golf

Only when you drive it honey