ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

197 f1 Knocking noise from rear told its the heat shield on Diffuser but no fix

Clio 197 F1
Sent my car in for first year service at same time asked for some warranty stuff to be sorted out as follows,

Glove box changed as it was starting to warp/bend

Ticking sound from heater fan at low speed known problem they changed the motor

Software upgrade to fix spluttering at first start and flat spots, this has also fixed shite pulling off from roundabouts etc

Passenger door lock made a noise when locking/unlocking so they changed that had two go on my 182 before

Brakes squeak at low speeds braking nothing they could do except offer to clean them at a cost

Recaro passenger seat squeaks/creaks all the time in full or near full back position nothing they could do they say that recaro's squeak how crap is that but i said this is not just an odd squeak its a constant eek eek eek all the time so i have to put up with it.

Clonking noise from the back when going over small bumps at low speeds sounds like exhaust is loose or suspention/busher they say that on the rear diffuser there is heat shield rivited to it and this is whats making the noise, basicly said they took the diffuser off drove it sound went put is back on and sound comes back so must be that and they cant fix it does any one else have this problem on the 197? It went back again to try and sort this out and the seat.

My 197 had this knocking noise, only really noticeable when the car was cold and at low speeds.
I checked out all the exhaust mountings because i'm convinced these were the culprits. I lubricated the rear silencer rubber mountings after removing the diffuser, but this had no effect.
I then looked at the centre exhaust mount which looked to be poorly aligned, as you could see where the centre of the mount had been rubbing on the outer, after a bit of lubrication and some careful realigning, the noise appears to have gone.

That was 2 weeks ago and haven't heard it again!! Result!!

Clio 197 F1
Will get someone to look at that because stangely it harder to hear the noise in the back. so i wondered if it could be in the middle.

Oh, and another thing i did, not connected to the knocking noise, was to enlarge the holes in the leading edge of the underside of the diffuser. The larger holes now let gravel and suchlike fall out rather than collecting in the diffuser.