ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

197 Remap

Broken Diesel Megane :(
Maybe should be in technical section but its for discussion...

what are the claimed gains in bhp ant lbs.ft torque for a 197 remap? i am thinking of getting it done, and having looked at the rs tuning website, there are no figures for the 197.

would i be far off thinking about 10bhp and 10 lbs.ft?

cheers

Golf R
5bhp i think... 7lbs ft i believe - there is a thread on RS forum, i beleive J111ASE has had his remaped... he's on both forums so might be worth talking to him for some feedback :)

yeh apparently it lifts it too about 202 from 197, not sure what the gains are when coupled with itg, zorst, better oils and sparks tho im afraid

Clio 197 F1 R27
From what i remember K-Tec Racing for £290 ish do a remap which gives 20lbs torque low down and peak 9bhp, sounds good. I would be interested, when a remap is done are there any problems to consider?

Clio 197 F1 R27
Taken from http://www.k-tecracing.com/

Following many hours of development we are now able to offer an ecu remap for the Clio 197. The main objective with the remap was to give the 197 engine some much needed low down torque. This has been achieved with a gain of just over 20 lbs/ft has been achieved lower down the rev range along with a peak power gain of 9 bhp. Feedback from customers has been very positive as it now gives the 197 a bit more punch where it needs it most.

the only problem i am worried about is how it would relate to warranty issues. it is not a huge amount of gain, not like sticking a turbo to the engine, so sure the engine would more than cope with it.

Taken from http://www.k-tecracing.com/

Following many hours of development we are now able to offer an ecu remap for the Clio 197. The main objective with the remap was to give the 197 engine some much needed low down torque. This has been achieved with a gain of just over 20 lbs/ft has been achieved lower down the rev range along with a peak power gain of 9 bhp. Feedback from customers has been very positive as it now gives the 197 a bit more punch where it needs it most.

rstuning were offering a group buy on meganesport.net for clio owners (in the clio section). think its around £280.

Golf R
197graph.jpg

Mine put out 185.5 standard... the graph above is for a remapped one

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Somebody should bring Renault to book for continually short changing on BHP/PS figures!

FunkyMunkys may only be 5 out , but i'd take a guess that some would be more out!

VAG cars are usually up 10-20bhp up!

I'm not saying it coz i drive a Vag car , it used to pi$$ me off when i had the 182!

EDIT IS that after the remap? ( Shakes head )

Thanks

leon

Just get a YS exhaust, it will make you drive it harder to hear it! ;)

oh that will be coming too, i hopes.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Somebody should bring Renault to book for continually short changing on BHP/PS figures!

FunkyMunkys may only be 5 out , but i'd take a guess that some would be more out!

VAG cars are usually up 10-20bhp up!

I'm not saying it coz i drive a Vag car , it used to pi$$ me off when i had the 182!

EDIT IS that after the remap? ( Shakes head )

Thanks

leon

couldnt agree more. false advertising? ;)

If 185bhp (albeit adjusted) is any indication, it would seem the 197 only has about as much power as the 182 should always have had. More to the point, it could explain why the 197 I drove, whilst fantastic, in a straight line felt like my 182 with 2 large breatsed passengers...

I'm not dissing the 197 here, more thinking that a remap is definitely needed IMO. I say go for it, and report back any benefits :)

Actually that graph looks well dodge anyway. Torque at 3200rpm rose from 75 to 125? Does anyone remember that coughing scene from Top Gun?

They certainly didnt perfect the engine though did they? Great car just underpowered imo

yeah, but then as proved by another thread floating about. power aint eveything, as it was voted best hot hatch or something?

They certainly didnt perfect the engine though did they? Great car just underpowered imo

yeah, but then as proved by another thread floating about. power aint eveything, as it was voted best hot hatch or something?

Agreed, but I think it's almost universally accepted that with a near genuine 200bhp, the 197 would be on another level again. The only bad things I ever read about it (in magazines/online) is that it juuuuuuust lacks a bit of shove to elevate it to legendary status. The one I drove certainly did.

Fantastic car though, and if a remap can unlock some much needed urgency in the way in which the 197 chases the horizon, then perhaps it'll be the car I always hoped it would be.

cock mobile.
I'm sure Funky's standard R27 run very close to the 197PS when he had only a couple of hundred miles on it.

And yes that was on a well respected DD rolling road.

ForceIndia

ClioSport Club Member
  Gentlemans spec 200

Agreed, but I think it's almost universally accepted that with a near genuine 200bhp, the 197 would be on another level again. The only bad things I ever read about it (in magazines/online) is that it juuuuuuust lacks a bit of shove to elevate it to legendary status. The one I drove certainly did.

Fantastic car though, and if a remap can unlock some much needed urgency in the way in which the 197 chases the horizon, then perhaps it'll be the car I always hoped it would be.

Don't forget the overlight steering;)

i have never felt that it is over light in an intrusive way. far superior to my 172 cup

i think it needs more torque than actual power.

i dont think a remap along will unlock the much needed urgency!? its an NA, remaps will only make it more driveable imo.. sure slightly quicker, but i wouldnt expect miracles

ForceIndia

ClioSport Club Member
  Gentlemans spec 200

i have never felt that it is over light in an intrusive way. far superior to my 172 cup

Each to their own chap. At the end of the day, it's your car, your choice. I just don't understand why a lot of 197 owner's seem to have a chip on their shoulders about it's faults. Shock horror, it's not perfect!!!! My car has plenty of faults, but the good points outweigh it for me. Nearly all reviews (and my experience), say lack of power (torque), and overlight feel-less steering (but very accurate). The steering is obvious with electric based systems.

Each to their own chap. At the end of the day, it's your car, your choice. I just don't understand why a lot of 197 owner's seem to have a chip on their shoulders about it's faults. Shock horror, it's not perfect!!!! My car has plenty of faults, but the good points outweigh it for me. Nearly all reviews (and my experience), say lack of power (torque), and overlight feel-less steering (but very accurate). The steering is obvious with electric based systems.

mate, at which point does it look like i have a chip on my shoulder? my original post referenced the question, "what gains can be expected?". at no point was i complaining of poor power. what i did say, is that if a car is 12bhp down on book, surely it is either bad engineering, or misrepresentation.

i have had 5 renaults. 4 of which were renaultsports, and shock horror...not one was perfect. but i didnt walk into the dealership with blinkers on when i bought this one. the steering, i said i liked. as for power, i stated that power wasnt everything as proved in another thread http://cliosport.net/forum/showthread.php?t=293430 . what i did say was that the car lacked a bit of torque. which it does and i am sure would be backed up by everyone that has driven one.

Gaz_

ClioSport Club Member
  Extreme mode
I'd be interested in this too. For people who think its underpowered are mis informed imo. I picked up mine friday. I took it to my test road ;) where i've taken my previous 172 cup, 182 and now my 197. Going past a marker the cup could pull 120 (remapped inlets decat Maxogen)..... as did the 182 (just). The 197 did it under a whisker. Thats standard, with 12k on the clock. Hardly slow. Much more refined yes, but slow, no.

I'd be interested in this too. For people who think its underpowered are mis informed imo. I picked up mine friday. I took it to my test road ;) where i've taken my previous 172 cup, 182 and now my 197. Going past a marker the cup could pull 120 (remapped inlets decat Maxogen)..... as did the 182 (just). The 197 did it under a whisker. Thats standard, with 12k on the clock. Hardly slow. Much more refined yes, but slow, no.

thats what i mean. the power is there. i would just like a little torque to push you on, so you know its there.

Gaz_

ClioSport Club Member
  Extreme mode
I'm torn lol. The springs do give a nice visible drop for not a lot of £££££ Think they'd propably do me tbh!!! Shame there are no matched dampers about? Or is there?

Last edited:

RSTuning

ClioSport Club Member
  R35 GTR
Our 197 map makes a very nice difference on the road. The graph on this thread is from the first car we mapped on another independant rolling road. We usually see +20 lbft very low down and 7-10hp peak.

More gains on these than the 1x2's!

Have a look on renaultsport, we have tuned a few of the members cars and they are all very impressed :)

Paul