ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

197 steering wheel on 182!?!?

GW 200T
Im liking the idea of the FF197 or the Twingo steering wheel.
May consider it as my PH1 172 steering wheel is in a bad need of a retrim

I know the 17/82's steering wheels fit on the 1.2's, so if the 197/200's fit on the 17/82's it should all be the same!

So to confirm, the only problem is the airbag connectors are different? can these be modded?

DCi 100
I shall answer my own question in saying that running it with the airbag in but not connected so it's basically just there physically but not mechanically, is a bad thing yes?

It's a bit of a disgrace that even the Clio III wheel melts. They have blatantly known about the issue for a long time, and still engineer it with a lifespan that will just about see out the warranty. IMO it shows just how much they value their customers, selling them cars with steering wheels that look like they've done 300,000 miles, after 3 years of normal use. The one in my 182Cup is absolutely fucked, and makes the car feel as though it's worth about 10p.

Gaz_

ClioSport Club Member
  Extreme mode
I shall answer my own question in saying that running it with the airbag in but not connected so it's basically just there physically but not mechanically, is a bad thing yes?

Be reet ;)

I think it might work as the resisitors i used on mine and steves 200 were the same, which to me suggests the airbag is similar in how it works....

Gaz_

ClioSport Club Member
  Extreme mode
It's a bit of a disgrace that even the Clio III wheel melts. They have blatantly known about the issue for a long time, and still engineer it with a lifespan that will just about see out the warranty. IMO it shows just how much they value their customers, selling them cars with steering wheels that look like they've done 300,000 miles, after 3 years of normal use. The one in my 182Cup is absolutely f**ked, and makes the car feel as though it's worth about 10p.

Its made to a budget, simple as. The Laguna 2 wheels don't melt. I've seen some on 140k + and yes they are a bit smooth, but not compleatly fucked like the Clio items.

Its made to a budget, simple as.

That's what I said. It's designed to just about see out a warranty. IMO that's a bit of a slap in the face for customers. Especially RS customers who should be buying a premium brand. I'm well aware of how the industry works, but I think it's a just a bit low to supply seriously sub standard materials in the premium models.

They are all still great drivers cars though.

Barge
It's odd how some are immaculate and just as old though. The one in mine is made of sterner stuff than my old Dynamique (which melted a bit but wasn't anywhere near as bad as I've seen some), but god knows what it'd be link in a few years. I guess though it depends whether you've got sweaty hands or not. I have a feather light touch. :eek:

Jamie

ClioSport Club Member
^ its my cup!

The SPLINES are the same in my 200 cup, as gas's 172 cup. Thaty was all we tried!

So in theory it can be done, cowls need modding i would say!

Cowls? I'm going to get a 200 wheel with the stitching what do I need to do to get it to fit.

Gaz_

ClioSport Club Member
  Extreme mode
the plastic bits around the indicator/wiper stalks........

The wheel fits physically, that all we tried though

Also get a 197 wheel. Red stitching

Gaz_

ClioSport Club Member
  Extreme mode
I think they'll only need trimming. Basically we need some one to bite the bullet!! I would, but want my inlets matching + remap lol

Jamie

ClioSport Club Member
Yeah, I saw that but NO AIRBAG. Not sure why? Guess it may explode in transit? Anyway I want one with airbag as that's the point in this.

DCi 100
I'll bite, I'm going to message the guy with the wheel above^ about a BIN price and collection on the weekend/tomorrow night.

Not really bothered about the airbag, just see if the wheel fits then go from there.

Jamie

ClioSport Club Member
Fair enough. I want an airbag so hopefully some trader on here will sort me out. If it fits I'll get one to. Not bothered about the bits of plastic. I'll adapt them no probs.

Other consideration is will my cruise work.

MkV Golf R32
I have sourced a 200 steering wheel complete with airbag, just need to find the money to get it fitted now.

I wonder how much birchdown will charge to get it fitted etc..

DCi 100
I have sourced a 200 steering wheel complete with airbag, just need to find the money to get it fitted now.

I wonder how much birchdown will charge to get it fitted etc..

Ring up and ask dude.

Or just do it yourself.

Any info on the source?

MkV Golf R32
I got the wheel off a fella who was breaking a 200 on 4000 miles.

I am not very technical or mechanically minded tbh.

I will give them a ring and see if they can give me a ball park figure.

MkV Golf R32
It could be that car, I was given a number by a friend and he told me about him breaking a 200, so I asked him for the steering wheel. I also wanted the recaros but they had been sold.

Rang birchdown and I am hopefully going to pop down next week.

Jamie

ClioSport Club Member
Ok I'll give some feedback as I just tried to fit mine and need to knows:

Does it fit without modification: Yes

Does it foul the cowlings: Yes very slightly if you rub it down it'll fit

Will the airbag work: Yes, I think it will

Does all wires come togther without chopping: No. All but the cruise control clip together but that will need cutting and soldering.

Is there something wrong with it when on: Yes :( If fits and all goes together however, due to something with how it tightens up I think it grips too much. As when you turn the wheel it will not self correct and turn back. I.e turn right and the steering wheel stays in that position. You'd have to manually turn it back. I have no idea how the chap in Italy got aroud this. The guy fitting mine said it was probably due to something on the back of it. A piece of metal may need maching off. Or some adjustments at the least. Tbh, that's too much effort for me.

Gaz_

ClioSport Club Member
  Extreme mode
Ok I'll give some feedback as I just tried to fit mine and need to knows:

Does it fit without modification: Yes

Does it foul the cowlings: Yes very slightly if you rub it down it'll fit

Will the airbag work: Yes, I think it will

Does all wires come togther without chopping: No. All but the cruise control clip together but that will need cutting and soldering.

Is there something wrong with it when on: Yes :( If fits and all goes together however, due to something with how it tightens up I think it grips too much. As when you turn the wheel it will not self correct and turn back. I.e turn right and the steering wheel stays in that position. You'd have to manually turn it back. I have no idea how the chap in Italy got aroud this. The guy fitting mine said it was probably due to something on the back of it. A piece of metal may need maching off. Or some adjustments at the least. Tbh, that's too much effort for me.

Yes it extinguishes the lights, but you cant be sure it'll fire

The actual metal fitting of the wheel is ever so slightly different detween the wheels. One is slightly longer than the other, must be the MK3 one. Maybe needs machining down a wee bit. Cant remember now

Jamie

ClioSport Club Member
Yes Gaz you're exactly right on the fitting requirements.

Personally I didn't want to take the risk but was told by the chap looking at it for me it should be pretty easy. But I'm not to technically minded.

LY R26
any updates on these?

might source one and find out. dont really care about air bag, more interested in the cc.

Ph2 Clio 172
I assume by the fact your are selling it Jamie that you didnt get it on your 182 properly? Was the only issue the non self-centring?