ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

1970`s marcos restoration = )

ibiza cupra
my forman at work has just bought a 1970s marcos which is in quite a state so i have taken it upon myself to help him restore it as i have a bit of a soft spot for them and they are rare as fcuk (only 100 made).
i dont really know much about them but this one has been to loads of car shows and won quite a few awards from what i have been told. it must also have been resprayed a different colour for each one too as the are a bouth 30 layers of pait to dig through :dead:.
it also has a 3.0 v6 essex engine too and has been stood for years so is in need of some major tlc so i was only too happy to hlp get it back to its beautiful original state.
heres some pics so far (ps they are crap phone pics with bits of dirt all over them lol).
Photo1150.gif

Photo1151.gif

body off the chassis
Photo1153.gif

Photo1152.gif

door
Photo1158.gif

Photo1159.gif

Photo1160.gif

Photo1161.gif

Photo1162.gif

Photo1163.gif

Photo1164.gif

Photo1165.gif

Photo1167.gif

Photo1168.gif

Photo1169.gif

Photo1170.gif

Photo1171.gif

Photo1172.gif

Photo1174.gif

Photo1175.gif

Photo1176.gif

Photo1177.gif

Photo1178.gif

Photo1179.gif

Photo1180.gif

Photo1181.gif

Photo1182.gif

Photo1185.gif

Photo1187.gif

Photo1189.gif

Photo1190.gif

not sure on the red pearl for the running gear and chassis but its not seen anyway so not really important, just to say as well, it was all shot blasted before painting lol.
ive also tryyed my best to get the ripples out of the tail gate and doors but with them being fibre glass, it is near on immpossible to get them perfect so they are the best that they can be at this stage. next for them it some spray polyester which is like a spray filler. they will then be blocked (again) and primered (again) which should loose more of the ripples. on the shell, it is all bare fibre glass now so i need to go over the whole thing with a dremel and cut all of the cracks into a v shape so they can be filled before spray poly. and the front clam needs taking back to bare fibre glass and the same with all the cracks on that. there has already been loads that we have done but its too much to remember lol.
ill update with new pics when i get more done on it :)

ibiza cupra
little bit more progress, its now a rolling chassis and he has started to sort the engine out. turns out that its been stood for 19 years (ouch)
Photo1246.gif

Photo1247.gif

Photo1248.gif

Photo1251.gif

he has started to paint the block now so ill get some pics of that tommorow :)

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
Great thread, keep us updated!

Thats an awful lot of work though!

Scrooge

ClioSport Moderator
  E55 AMG
I'm in the process of taking the essex 3.0 out of my stag, such a lovely engine to work with! Looks like you have made good progress well done.

ibiza cupra
cheers all, yeah we seem to have broken the back of it although there is still a hell of a lot left to do but i only really get chance to do it when im a bit short on work.
she`ll be stunning when shes done though.

Rob

ClioSport Moderator
Great work, keep up with the pics etc, really look forward to seeing it finished.

I'm not sure if it's always your pics, or a few others I've seen, but get a new camera or at least take yours apart and remove the crap from the lense! Please!

ibiza cupra
Great work, keep up with the pics etc, really look forward to seeing it finished.

I'm not sure if it's always your pics, or a few others I've seen, but get a new camera or at least take yours apart and remove the crap from the lense! Please!

haha, i keep meaning to find out when my contract is up on my phone so i can upgrade lol. ill get round to it one day.

-J-

RS2'ed 172 Cup
There seem to be some great Restoration threads on here at the moment with Lauras MK1 Golf, The VW Campers and now this!

Will be watching closely, Love these kind of threads

ibiza cupra
heres a few of the pics now the engine and trans is painted. again, not what i would chosse to do but it is his pride and joy and he can do what he likes lol.
Photo1254.gif

Photo1293.gif

and getting plenty of wax oil inside the chassis :)
Photo1313.gif

Photo1314.gif

till next time lol.

S23

The Cleee-O
Awesome! This is gonna look insane when done. And credit to you for helping him on what seems to be a mammoth task. Can't wait to see this progress :D

Matt Cup

ClioSport Club Member
  Leon Cupra
Love stuff like this, shame that the car is as ugly as sin though:dead:

Keep up the good work!

ibiza cupra
bit more progress has been made now so ive got a few more pics although its nothing too exciting lol.
Photo1323.gif

Photo1324.gif

Photo1345.gif

Photo1347.gif

bit of a hole in the tank lol
Photo1348.gif

Photo1346.gif

pedal box
Photo1356.gif

on these cars, you dont adjust the seat. you adjust the pedals lol. you fooked if you cant reach the wheel lol
Photo1349.gif

Photo1350.gif

Photo1351.gif

Photo1352.gif

Photo1353.gif

Photo1354.gif

Photo1355.gif

Photo1357.gif

Photo1358.gif

Photo1359.gif

again, appologies for the pics lol.

ibiza cupra
cheers :)
bit more progress too.
bit of heat protection lol
1ef8775d.gif

80cc1df7.gif

and the new rocker covers.
Photo1386.gif

they arnt staying green lol, they have just been flatted and primered today and are going to be the same blue as the engine i think.
heres one of the clam shell, thats my next task lol.
964e38fa.gif

the body is also now on the chassis as when he was trying on the doors, the body was just too flimsy and the chances are that if we did all the body work then put it on the chassis, it would crack left, right and centre.
ill get more pics tommorrow. :)

RR Vogue SE 2009
Looks like a Mk1 Bradbury to me as well. Love the project. Some good work goin into it. I have these that I am on with restoring, Mini Marcos's well Mini Jems, but made around the same time,and the same guys...
IMG00427-20101107-1739.jpg

IMG00425-20101107-1738.jpg

FN2 Type R +MK6 Golf
Still loving your efforts.Cant wait to see the finished result.I just know ill never do anything like this ever.Your the type who does the work and i'd be the one who buys your efforts...lol

ibiza cupra
few more pics :)
2c5b0ebf.gif

b313e309.gif

there is a red pearl over the top of the yellow but you cant really see it in the pics :(
964e38fa.gif

foot pedals back ion
8a6ae939.gif

and wheel
f6bb4274.gif

ibiza cupra
right, a shedload of progress has been made since the last time i was on here lol, the exhause is being fabricated, the wheels are being mirror polished and most of the filler work is done and in spray polyester = D
so here are some pics

IMG_0126.gif

IMG_0193.gif

IMG_0194.gif

IMG_0195.gif

IMG_0211.gif

Photo1166.gif

Photo1167-1.gif

IMG_0215.gif

IMG_0216.gif

not far off now :)

Last edited: