ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

1994 172'd Mk1 Valver Track Car

Bumder With A Buffer
Re: Valver Track Car Project Thread

Nice purchase dude! noticed Whiteley had put a post in there actually so figured it might be him or one of you guys. :)

i said i think hes got no oil pressure (dial showing 0) but he thinks the pressure sender is fooked after his soldering efforts....

said to change the pressure switch that works the clocks for the warning light but not spoke to him since....

lack of oil in the head was my thought = bad pump....but who knows?!

TVR Cerbera

i said i think hes got no oil pressure (dial showing 0) but he thinks the pressure sender is fooked after his soldering efforts....

said to change the pressure switch that works the clocks for the warning light but not spoke to him since....

lack of oil in the head was my thought = bad pump....but who knows?!

you can't use the pressure switch, it a switch and the pressure sender is a varible resistor. he's got oil pressure due to the light going out, and testing the pressure warning light ok.

TVR Cerbera

if you listen to the end when you turn off, it sounds like belts squeaking to a stop

you can't use the pressure switch, it a switch and the pressure sender is a varible resistor. he's got oil pressure due to the light going out, and testing the pressure warning light ok.

noooo i meant......we know the pressure sender on the back of the block is not working as the guage is not showing a reading.......

i was on about the pressure sensor, that shows the light on the dash, on the front of the block... i just said to change it incase the one i had left on the block was faulty...just to double check that it was getting oil pressure, i.e light going out....

video sounds well dodgy....did you try and turn it over by hand chris?

TVR Cerbera

i confirmed with chris that the light is working fine, so must have oil pressure, i believe he didn't change the idler pulley on the cambelt because it was ok, but that's the only thing i can think of

have you got both breather hose's on the rocker cover? if one is open it makes that same whistling noise.

Could be worse, my F7R siezed up saturday night, now it runs for a mintue making the most heroundous noise before siezing up again! 7 days till brands, a week full of rain, and an engine change to do! not good.

TVR Cerbera

have you got both breather hose's on the rocker cover? if one is open it makes that same whistling noise.

Could be worse, my F7R siezed up saturday night, now it runs for a mintue making the most heroundous noise before siezing up again! 7 days till brands, a week full of rain, and an engine change to do! not good.

Come to think of it, it does sound a bit like that. I'll be taking the piss out of chris if it is that lol!
He's got a seized f7p if that's any help lol

ValverInBits

from the vid. It's either belts or some kind of whistle from somewhere.
Not much idea as to where you could actually check. Cold start injector plugged in properly?

BMW M5 & E36

Right. Putting the breather pipe on as suggested above got rid of the whistling type of sound, but its now highlighted another noise when the engine's revved. It sounds normal-ish at idle but any more revs and there's this squealing sort of noise. It sounds like it's coming from cam pulley sort of area, but hard to tell.

Ive got a couple more vids that I'll upload in a bit.

FFS!!

ICV pipework only allows it to fit on one way regardless.

BMW M5 & E36

It's a possibility. They were torqued but using a half inch wrench to torque to such small values is a bit difficult. Cam cover may aswell come off tomorrow to have a look.

I also checked the cambelt tension and loosened that off slightly, so i should have eliminated that.

interesting, have you turned it over by hand on the crank pulley and see if there is any noise from the tensioner or idler?

BMW M5 & E36

All seemed fine turning it over by hand, but things magnify slightly at 1k rpm compared to 1rpm!

There's no reason for the cam pullies to be grinding against anything is there? Quite close to cam carriers but not close enough to be a concern. Cams will only sit in one place.

Video uploading.

Aux belt isnt fitted, i was going to suggest waterpump but cant be with no aux belt on :(

Bearing on tensioner or idler has been suggested as a possibility?!

BMW M5 & E36

Yeah I checked the cambelt tension and slackened it off slightly this evening which made zero difference.

Took the aux belt off temporarily to eliminate that, water pump etc too.

i was right about the wihistiling, that sound now i dont know. the cam pulleys will grind if there is even 1 bolt missing from the cover, check thier all in there, it just be nipping it making that whiring sound. apart from that its got to be a bearing in a pulley, theres nothing left is there?

TVR Cerbera

We sorted the cambelt last night as it was trying to make it's way off the pulleys! maybe due to being too tight, not sure. the noise is still there but only at a certain rpm, approx 2k, like a resonating noise, not sure if it's the oil pump..... but the engine seems to run sweet apart from that!

BMW M5 & E36

As above, belt has been tensioned properly now using ЯUR tensioning tool v2.0, but the noise is still present. It seemed louder with my head in the wheel arch, which is why oil pump was suggested. Tensioner is 1k old, and the idler pulley on it has less play than my 1k old idler, so that stayed.

So i'm going to bolt it all back up and see how I get on. Oil pressure sender is broken at the moment so I could do with another one of them ideally. There's definitely pressure, just the guage isn't telling me how much.

I've a video uploading at the moment of the latest noise, covers off etc to show, so I'll embed that when it's done.

Got my oil cooler fitted last night, and some major hacking of the bumper was needed. Also picked up a brand new radiator tonight which should hopefully be the end of any cooling issues.

Phone pic of cooler for now:

21052009633.jpg

BMW M5 & E36

So far so good today. Rob from C16V dropped an oil pressure sender round for me, so I put that on, fitted new radiator, sorted the oil cooler mounting, double checked if any pipes were rubbing, filled with water/coolant mix. Started straight up, noise has pretty much disappeared and it's got good oil pressure :D

nice one, so its ready then! on wednesday i commited a sin and dropped the 1.8 back in mine, its ready to go now :)

BMW M5 & E36

Quite a few other little bits to sort before Brands, but I'd like to think it's about there. Going to try and put a fair few miles on it before hand. Good man on the 1.8, I'll have someone to play with (amongst the 172/182's ;))

BMW M5 & E36

I've now got F7p V2.0 in and running as of today. It got home from it's first 30 miles successfully so I'm pleased so far :D

Stopped for a general check over the car and it looked a nice place for a photo or two, only had my N95 with me though I'm afraid.

23052009637.jpg

23052009638.jpg

23052009639.jpg

23052009640.jpg

23052009641.jpg

23052009643.jpg

23052009644.jpg

Got a nice splattering of bugs on my shiny new radiator and oil cooler too :evil:

Chris

BMW M5 & E36

White pen aye, I've given up caring about that bumper!! I'll get some pics tomorrow of how I've had to butcher it for the cooler.