ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

1994 172'd Mk1 Valver Track Car

ValverInBits
Re: Valver Track Car Project Thread

nothing more serious than altenator i hope?

Just read marham thread......seized is never a good word....

Audi TT 225 Quattro

oh well, maybe its telling you it needs an F7R 700;)

BMW M5 & E36
  Sunflower & Golf Mk6 BMT

How did Chris not see the oil and coolant temps rise so high??? I always watch my temps/dials like a hawk!

BMW M5 & E36

Oil temps were always high but stayed pretty stable, around the 150 mark, so towards the top of the guage. Oil temp went up and coolant temp shot up on my last lap, and i came in the pits.

Sunflower & Golf Mk6 BMT

150 is very high for extended periods of time especially for an old valver engine or at least its not recommended. Oil can fail at high temps. Just out of interest what oil were you using? Valver engines are very sensitive when it comes to oil, interms of a pressure, oil level, brand of oil and its rating.

Most valver drivers swear by mobile 10/40w semi syn.

I dont let mine go over 110, which normally allows me to get 8 laps and I dont run an oil cooler.

'92 172, Lotus Elise

tbf, it shouldn't have even reached 150... something else was wrong

mine went upto 150 round oulton park when it had the f7r in it.....that was running 5w50 oil though....i never had a prob after it cooled down

Audi TT 225 Quattro

most mine has seen on track is 115 deg max, thats an f7r with std oil cooler running 10w/40 semi synt. have used 5/40 also but was like water so burnt of abit quicker and made tappets even louder. i would be very very worried f i ever saw 150+

Sunflower & Golf Mk6 BMT

Silkolene Pro-S 5w/40, what was recommended to me by Opie and 5/40 is what most seem to be running. http://www.opieoils.co.uk/p-1146-si...nthetic-oil-for-high-performance-engines.aspx

110 is very low, mine reached that just pootling about once it was warm. Oil cooler on the next one i think.

The dude who I bought my valver from (and hand build the turbo conversion) said dont run fully syn and use 10/40W.

At a guess your oil was too thin to begin with, then as it reached the high 140's 150's became to thin for the poor old valver engine :dapprove:

Just a guess anyway mate could have been multiple things, but engine failure is normally something to do with oil not getting to the right places or lubing enough.

ValverInBits

Oil cooler on the next one i think.

Remember the first thing is said to get for a track valver:rasp:
Used to run 5W50 on mine, but decided it wasn't necessary after a while.
But seriously mate, If the gauge is reading correctly, 150 is too warm. Unlucky mate, hope you get it sorted quick n cheap :D

BMW M5 & E36

Right, we're back from page 3 with a long overdue update.

The Valver had its first trackday at Marham last month, just an airfield jobby to give the car a good shakedown. Things didnt start particularly well with my alternator giving up on the way down, so jump starting was in order for the weekend and putting my battery on charge when I wasnt driving.

Ignoring that hiccup, I was very chuffed with how the car behaved. Handled superbly, ran rings around most stuff in the corners (1*2's included ;)) and was pretty nippy too. All in all a very good laugh!

Some pictures:

IMG_2853.jpg

IMG_2857.jpg

DSC_0104.jpg

DSC_0105.jpg

DSC_0123.jpg

DSC_0295.jpg

DSC_0296.jpg

DSC_0408.jpg

DSC_0409.jpg

Then things went downhill :(

It all got a bit warm, cut out as I came into the pits and then refused to turn over once it'd cooled down. Result = 1 seized F7p! :clown:

So, I called for recovery which was luckily included with my Flux insurance and got towed out to the gate, of course someone had to film my misfortune lol

IMG_2908.jpg

[youtube]Yc9Dt0FXcLY[/youtube]

More later...

Last edited:
  BMW M5 & E36

Nope, getting another F7p for now, skimmed head, re-lapping valves, new stem seals etc...

Needs to be ready for Brands on the 27th.

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel

What about that Hybrid lump i've got dude, that any good to you?

05 1.4 16v clio

great thread dude, unlucks about the engine, hope you get it sorted soon

BMW M5 & E36

I set about taking the old engine out again. 3rd time now and it seems to be quicker each time.

Car up onto stands. Wrong way round in the garage really but thats how recovery man rolled me down, and I have no means of turning it round.

IMG_2091.jpg

2.6 degrees of camber :cool:

IMG_2092.jpg

Greedy, me? Nahhhh

IMG_2093.jpg

A few panels off

IMG_2094.jpg

A few nice metallic flakes in the engine oil, lovely

IMG_2095.jpg

Yep, thats 25l of oil I've wasted on this damn car! I also failed at saving the gearbox oil, as only 1.5l went into my tub :(

IMG_2097.jpg

Rad/fan etc out. Also removed alternator as it makes it easier and it's f*cked anyway

IMG_2099.jpg

Out

IMG_2104.jpg

IMG_2105.jpg

IMG_2108.jpg

IMG_2110.jpg

Interior shot

IMG_2117.jpg

IMG_2119.jpg

Also cleaned a wheel up with some petrol which took the paint off nicely. Weird/wonderful colour suggestions? 4 different colours? :clown:

IMG_2120.jpg

BMW M5 & E36

Picked a riggy F7p up from Foxy earlier today in a load of bits, along with about 19 exhaust manifolds too!

Head is off, so I'm going to re-lap the valves and fit new stem seals (cheers Winston) etc.

Dan, still thinking about yours too!

BMW M5 & E36

Made a start on the new engine/bits this evening.

Stripped most bits off the bottom end so that I could make an effort to clean it up and maybe paint it. Removed all the power steering pump assembly as i'm not using that.

IMG_2125.jpg

IMG_2126.jpg

Then I started on the head. Took all the valves out and put them to one side, keeping them in order.

IMG_2121.jpg

Springs/retainers lined up

IMG_2122.jpg

Valves

IMG_2127.jpg

Collets, fiddly little buggers

IMG_2128.jpg

Old valve stem seals, these will be replaced

IMG_2133.jpg

Had a quick effort at cleaning the head up with petrol and all sorts of degreasers, some pretty stubborn marks on it though

IMG_2123.jpg

IMG_2124.jpg

Bit better

IMG_2131.jpg

And we have wheel colour #1

IMG_2129.jpg

IMG_2130.jpg