ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

1994 172'd Mk1 Valver Track Car

Clio sport 197 f1 R27
Re: Valver Track Car Project Thread

Nice job so far buddy.. now been bookmarked, will watch your progress

good stuff!!

glad the DIY guide helped, lol.....still cant believe that cross beam wont unbolt!

ITB'd 182...

you putting that motor back in?

very impressive progress btw

BMW M5 & E36

nice one chap! im v impressed, wish i could do the same!

You've done it all before though!

:D

Nice job so far buddy.. now been bookmarked, will watch your progress

Thanks mate

good stuff!!

glad the DIY guide helped, lol.....still cant believe that cross beam wont unbolt!

Aye, bit of an odd one! Just made it even more of a squeeze :S

Good progress again mate!!

Cheers bud. Garage needs a good tidy if you want to come round and make yourself useful ;)

looking gooood... nothing better than jumping in at the deep end :)

Best way to learn :)

you putting that motor back in?

very impressive progress btw

Eventually yeah I think so. It'll be out for a good while yet though. Cheers :cool:

F4R'd ITB'd '92 cup racer

looking very good :D

i wish i had bought a rust free mk1 :( live and learn!

BMW M5 & E36

Yeah the lack of rust is nice, but it'll no doubt appear at some point. Least yours is sorted now!

Sunflower & Golf Mk6 BMT

Loving the detail your going into on this project and nice to see lots of pics. I hate project blogs that dont have any pics! :-(

Reading this just makes me wanna take my eninge out just for the hell of it! lol.

Must of been a hell of a squeeze without undoing the cross member, im sure those bolts will come off with some WD40 and a wack???

BMW M5 & E36

Loving the detail your going into on this project and nice to see lots of pics. I hate project blogs that dont have any pics! :-(

Reading this just makes me wanna take my eninge out just for the hell of it! lol.

Must of been a hell of a squeeze without undoing the cross member, im sure those bolts will come off with some WD40 and a wack???

Yep, projects without pictures are annoying, probably why I've gone a bit OTT but not to worry.

The slam panel/cross member, erm, yeah. I don't understand it. I thought it was meant to be bolted like you say, but I came to take it off and there are no bolts at all, kind of sealed on :S. I've uploaded this pic a bit bigger than the rest to try and show what I mean. Click the banner at the top to enlarge. And yep, was a squeeze alright!

DSCN3897.jpg

M

mini-valver

Looks like its been cut at some point mate?

BMW M5 & E36

Which bit makes you think that though? :S

I'll have a search for a picture of someone elses car to compare.

M

mini-valver

Along the bottom edge looks abit ragged? Maybe its my eyes, lol.

BMW M5 & E36

I'd just say that was paint loss for whatever reason over 14 years, not particularly sharp or anything. Worried now lol

M

mini-valver

Its a really wavy/hacked looking line mate, lol.....

BMW M5 & E36

I fear you're right Hudson :(

DSCN3906.jpg

2 rivets to hold the VIN plate on? :S

DSCN3907.jpg

Front end bump at some point then? And repaired with possibly the wrong panel from a different/newer model? No idea :S. It's one piece from the inner wing right over to the other side, and meets the uprights inwards of the lights.

Doh.

M

mini-valver

Sand the middle of the roof down, lol.

Probably had a front end bump mate then had a full front valance welded on. Would'nt worry! :D

ValverInBits

yeah, whiteley thats had a bit of a smash up.

The cross member has the rad bolted to the bottom of it and then the cross member is bolted to the main chassis with 2 bolts either side.
You can see the bolt holes on your cross member with no threaded hole on the chassis behind. Looks like the front end has had a fair amount of work done at some point.
bargains eh, who'd have em ;) I'm just surpirsed you managed to get the rad out. I normally leave the rad and fan attached to the cross member and lift out the top.

edit: Just found these two pics of f0xys thread that show it perfectly.
http://i110.photobucket.com/albums/n113/f0xy_2006/--%20The%20MK1/IMG_0029.jpg
http://i110.photobucket.com/albums/n113/f0xy_2006/-- The MK1/IMG_0031.jpg

Last edited:
  BMW M5 & E36

There were two bolts going down through the top cross member holding it in and then it lifted out easily.

Ah well, it'll be reet!

TVR Cerbera

With reference to the bolt on slam panel, does anyone know if just valvers and willy's have the bolt on one, as looking at pics i've found on the net for chris, it seems the replacement panel comes as a complete front end and not as bolt on bit. What i'm trying to get at is, if, for whatever reason, the front end has had damage, minor or major, it should be replaced with the full panel. and as long as it's been done properly, can't see it being a problem apart from being a tight squeeze!

M

mini-valver

As above. It's been repaired properly! Who cares if its had a smash, if it drives straight and everything is present and correct, sorted. STill a bargain mate and it'll be awesome when it's finished :D

TVR Cerbera

As above. It's been repaired properly! Who cares if its had a smash, if it drives straight and everything is present and correct, sorted. STill a bargain mate and it'll be awesome when it's finished :D

I thought it was alright when i looked at it with Chris, I'll have a better look next time i'm round helping him.
I'm quite sure my old valver was the same as that, but can't be sure, however i do remember the rough edge bit, the same as Chris'!
It'll be fine, It's also a trackcar, which may get a few more scrapes on it yet!

Sunflower & Golf Mk6 BMT

Think all valvers and willys come with bolt on cross members. Mine just unbolted and was able to wip rad out in no time.

As others have said it looks like a 'proper' repair job and as long as it drives straight it dont matter. Did you HPI check it? might be worth finding out some history?

BMW M5 & E36

Cheers guys :)

Had a little bit more time on it after work tonight, but not a great deal more to report. Had a major lack of time this week as I've been getting plenty of overtime in to pay for the thing, and then being nackered and falling asleep when I get home!

Started tidying up the inside a little, clearing out the huge amounts of rubbish and offcuts which had built up in the foot wells. Then i carried on with a bit more of the tar sound deadening in the n/s footwell. Horrible stuff but it seems to clean up easily enough with plenty of white spirit.

DSCN3909.jpg

DSCN3910.jpg

DSCN3911.jpg

My sparco seat sidemounts also turned up earlier in the week from 'Tweeks, so I got a pair of those bolted on and positioned it loosely in the car this evening. Love it! Being nearly 6'4 i never thought I'd struggle to see over a steering wheel again!

DSCN3913.jpg

DSCN3914.jpg

DSCN3916.jpg

I need to get hold of some steel to mount the sidemounts to now. Soon!

Chris

Now Clio-less... Derv :/

staggering progress.

can't wait to see the finished article!

BMW M5 & E36

Ive been flat out with work over the past few weeks, so had very little time to get much done on the car and get this updated. Managed a few hours during the week so I thought I ought to update and keep this thread alive.

Now that my engine was out, I set about dropping the subframe. Several reasons for this. Firstly now was going to be as good a time as any with no engine in the way. Secondly I want to give it and the engine bay a good clean and more than likely paint the bay. Thirdly because I plan on running a Williams/19 16v Widetrack setup at the front, and this includes changing the wishbones and ARB, both of which will be easier off the car. If I can get hold of an ARB and a pair of 'bones then I can build from the ground upwards rather than put it back together with old 16v parts and change it later on. Lastly, because I want to get rid of the power assisted steering.

Removing it consists of undoing 6 bolts, 2 front, 2 rear and 1 at each side holding the 'arms' on. 5 came out without a problem, however one of the rear bolts uses a supposed captive nut, and unsuprisingly this wasnt as captive as it should be, and started turning. So I prised the captive part of things out the way and managed to get a spanner on instead. It then came out fine and the subframe was on the floor once I'd taken the brakes off and undone the bolts which hold the struts to the hub.

DSCN4003.jpg

I'd decided quite a while back that I wanted to get rid of the PAS and had been looking into the different ways of going about it. It turned out the manual rack and column from a 1.2 or similar needs well over 4 turns to go from lock to lock. Standard 16v rack is bang on 3 turns and I believe the Williams rack is slightly less. My 182 is also somewhere around 3. So having ruled that out I needed to decide on a different method. Some run the standard rack all sealed off and dry, but following a joint decision between Daz (my assistant :clown:) and I we decided to run it sealed and lubricated.

We first removed all the existing PAS pipework to see what we were left with

DSCN3987.jpg

DSCN3991.jpg

DSCN3993.jpg

On his Cup, Daz has basically made a loop pipe out of one of the existing pipes to go between the 2 ports on the rack, so we set about doing the same to this one.

Pipe bending, very complicated task lol

DSCN3989.jpg

The 'finished' loop. It remains to be seen whether it's going to be in the way of the gear linkage when everything goes back together, but if there's a problem then it can be moved/bent out the way. Will be 'reet!

DSCN3999.jpg

DSCN4001.jpg

Filled with fluid:

DSCN3997.jpg

I also sealed off the 4 ports by the column joint but didnt picture it.

And there we (hopefully) have one finished manual rack!

Had a quick rearrange/tidy up of the garage as it was a bit of a state and shifted the engine over

DSCN4002.jpg

A few random parts have arrived too

DSCN3986.jpg

Subframeless car with the strut brace layed ontop

DSCN3988.jpg

That's all for now, will try my best to get some more work done but lack of time as usual. 7 day week ftl!

Decat on its way for the 182 too :)

Chris

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel

Just a note about manual steering.

I was talking to a guy about removing the power steering on my Hybrid and they strongly advised against it, saying that if you start tank slapping at 80mph, a car with PAS will be a lot easier to control than a car without. The car without needing arms like incredible hulk to control it should it all go a bit wrong. Also with no PAS, the 'snatch' will be very violent, possibly breaking your thumbs! lol!

I'm no mechanic nor a driving guru, but just my 2p's worth.

The PAS pipework and system on mine was nackered (147k valver), leaking etc....so I ripped it out and went down the manual williams rack route also....I love the feel with coilovers and polybushes, but its pretty heavy for parking!

'92 172, Lotus Elise

can't stand manual racks :D

just like to say that a valver rack should be about 3.75 turns lock to lock.

also, the gear linkage goes under the subframe, so that bent pipe should be ok

BMW M5 & E36

3 turns lock to lock exactly, checked it several times on and off the car.