ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

1999 1.6 16v - Supercharged??

Renault clio 1.6 16v mk2
Hey i remember a while ago someone saying they were lookin at superchargin their 1.6 16v clio usin a charger off a cooper s. Jus wondering if anyone knows if he managed it, as im lookin for a bit of a project over the summer n think that might be it. Jus lookin into costs and whether its actually fesible. clearly the ecu would need remappin n a longer aux belt would be needed - along with makin a bracket for the unit itself - but would anything else need doin too??

Renault clio 1.6 16v mk2
yeah but that takes out half the fun n i dont really wanna be selling my car after the cash i spent out on it jus to but another one n do it all again - its only done 65000 miles genuine im 2nd owner from new the first bein a very subdued girl so it'd neva been blitzed (until i got it anyway) full renault service history n i must have spent botu 1.5 k on it since i've owned it (bout a yr !). Also i've got 4 months of uni workin at dads garage so i wan summit interesting to spend my time doin ( esp as im gettin paid to do it ;-0 )

i must have spent botu 1.5 k on it since i've owned it (bout a yr !). Also i've got 4 months of uni workin at dads garage so i wan summit interesting to spend my time doin ( esp as im gettin paid to do it ;-0 )

Buy a 2.0 engine fit that and turbo that then idealy use a none VVt engine IMO and using Megan/Lagun etc stuff stick that in and turbo it. Its the best idea IMO for cheapness. us the stock ECU and remap or go for a cheap stand alone.

£1.5k won't last long though tunning the engine. Thats pennies realy.

Last edited:
  visualize whirled pe

I think that is fantastic.

I wonder if any work was done to the internals to lower the compression ratio and what he is using to control the fueling.
It'd be nice to have some more info on this. The fabricated alloy air box is good too, it all looks very home-made and, judging by the amount of dirt, like he uses it every day.

I would certainly consider a FI conversion of some sort on my 1.6 after seeing this. I'm guessing about £2k in parts?????

Renault clio 1.6 16v mk2
i been chattin to a guy my old man knows - he does alot of big american tuning on drag cars etc n technically as long as i can mount the supercharger somewhere - in line with the aux belt i might be ok keepin existing fuel pump etc but obviously that will seriously limit the inc in power (thats jus his 'guess' from a brief convo wit him n without lookin into it obviously most of the stuff he does aint 'new' and 'small') so correct me if i got it wrong. Fittin a turbo is a pain in the arse - new intake and exhuast manifold - most likely have to be custom - plus lowering comression ratio plus all the electronics to run the turbo properly - my dads got a mk2 gti golf with a turbotechnics turbo conversion on it and it cost a bomb !!! superchargin is technically a much simpler ball game. A few people on the Meng Automotive course at my uni sugggested that its possible to fun it of an electric motor through a potentiometer attached to the rev counter (so it gets faster with the engine ) then i could mount it whereeva there's room - Just making the electrics for it then.

Last edited:
  Renault clio 1.6 16v mk2
sod it jus spoke to him again seems i've totally got the wrong end of the stick !! gonna cost a bomb esp power to cost gains.
thinking of an engine transplant instead!!!

visualize whirled pe
sod it jus spoke to him again seems i've totally got the wrong end of the stick !! gonna cost a bomb esp power to cost gains.

I was going to say, anyone who deals with yank engines would normally pull a face when you talk about getting more power from a 4 banger, being as they'll be used to dealing with hemi's and the like.

It's going to cost you a couple of grand for a decent engine conversion, at least with an FI'd engine you have somthing a bit 'different'
You're dad's mate should be able to make a manifold up, get all the internal engine work done by him and ask K-tech for advice on boost controllers / fueling etc.

i Fittin a turbo is a pain in the arse - new intake and exhuast manifold - most likely have to be custom - plus lowering comression ratio plus all the electronics to run the turbo properly - my dads got a mk2 gti golf with a turbotechnics turbo conversion on it and it cost a bomb !!! superchargin is technically a much simpler ball game. A few people on the Meng Automotive course at my uni sugggested that its possible to fun it of an electric motor through a potentiometer attached to the rev counter (so it gets faster with the engine ) then i could mount it whereeva there's room - Just making the electrics for it then.
Terbo and supercharger are much the same. Depending on boost affects if your going to need to run lower CR pistons etc nothing do do with the type of unit you use.

Forget the electric turbo idea you need a much uprated alternator to ensure it would work then there the power losses. The concept is good though.
Much better idea.

Tweaked Leon Cupra R
Renault_Clio_14_Turbo_38.jpg

have fun changing the starter motor!!